Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

RECALL !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the decisions made by the Township Board representative of our master plan?
yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
maybe
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
who cares
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
what is the master plan
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

bearing
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: RECALL ! Reply with quote

After reading all of your posts, it sounds like you need to start a recall on your township supervisor. Corruption begins at the township...

Poor leadership does not make for a sound future. Anyone who cares about this island needs to show up Friday or voice their concerns by sending a fax or phone call.

Exclamation Exclamation The wool is being pulled over your eyes! Exclamation Exclamation

Just because we go away in the fall and winter doesn't mean we have no voice or opinion! Interesting that many of these hot topics come up when all of us summer folk are gone...

Failing to plan for the future of this wonderful island is planning to FAIL!

looks like the Straits may be "blessed" with another over developed version of Mackinac. bye bye peaceful quiet bbi
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing,

Thank you for having enough ****s to step up to the plate and voice an opinion. Maybe you will start a trend. Getting this into the daylight is what this site can do, for either "side". I urge others to make a statement and express their sentiments, IN ADVANCE! Some have already. Others seem fearful.

Take a few minutes to write/fax BBI twp a letter and demand it be read at the hearing. Be worth your time.

Keep in mind that facts need to be seperated from rumors and allegations and it is easy to jump to conclusions, which is a mistake on the behalf of either side.

I believe this will be the hot topic of the week and much will come out before the meeting on Friday. With that, "credibility and accountability" will be sitting on silver platters at the hearings opening.

I received a PM this morning, "why I haven't spoken up yet?" Be patient my friends.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Good words Reply with quote

Bearing: thanks for the comments. I ditto Conis. You're right about the "fudgies are gone so lets take "our" island and do as we like" syndrome. It is a scarey scenario...a small number of greedy suckers turning the island into an island vacation fantasy land for their personal profit.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not spoken up because I still do not think I sufficiently understand what has happened and what potentially could happen. The general question of whether and/or where commercial development on BBI should be is one question. The specific question of the commercial development at issue here is another. And the third is whether the Island's political representatives are acting appropriately in what they have done concerning the zoning and in the letter that was posted on this site.

I don't know enough (hardly anything, in fact) about the laws that govern our Township officials to know if they are acting lawfully--which is a bit different question than whether they are acting fairly or reasonably. When you put that together with not really understanding factually what is happening, it has been hard for me--and no doubt several others, to reach any conclusion about it all.

Having said all of that, it does appear, as several others have said, that some of the public activities of BBI officials may reflect personal biases that have nothing to do with the public issues at hand. If that is the case (and I can't tell if it is), then some state oversight may end up being necessary. I assume what happens at the meeting and in its immediate aftermath may impact whether the state will become involved.

Finally, it does seem a bit strange that, as far as I can tell, no one from the other side of this thing has posted an explanation of their position here or anywhere else. Or have I just missed it?

As more of us buy land and build cottages on the island--and as the value of that property goes up, I think there is going to have to be more formal communications between the island's elected officials and its property owners--even those who do not vote. I don't know about others, but as much as I visit the island and communicate on this website about it, I feel like I am in the dark about the government activities that occur on the island--issues like plowing snow in the winter, the paving of the airport and dock area, maintaining the roads, etc., etc. Now some of my ignorance is no doubt my fault--if I were more proactive, I might be able to learn about this stuff. But as a practical matter (because it is not possible for most of us to attend public hearings), this website would be a perfect place for the Island officials to communicate with its taxpayers about what is going on. And in this internet age, I think it is a question of when it happens, not if.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Yes and No Reply with quote

It appears that the township chooses. Sometimes they are representative and sometimes they are not. In the rezone issue, they did not follow it at all. Anyway I voted maybe.

Now, the planning commission has tried their best to represent what is written in the master plan. Sometimes that makes people mad.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug...

All of your points and questions are totally valid. How to get "in the loop" where there isn't a loop. This is the information age. Not the "slide it by and camoflague it after the fact" age. I suggest you stay tuned to the website this week.

Last spring, it was suggested that verbatum twp minutes be posted on this website for ALL to read and analyze, Taxpayers have a vested interest: voting and non-voting alike. Keep informed or take if from behind.

Now we have a shining example of WHY this is critically necessary.

I volunteered my efforts, last spring, to make this happen... and there wasn't much of a response in terms of return cooperation from BBI twp or others who could attend and record the meetings.

It is all called credibility and accountability, before the fact, not after.

Heads up folks.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: