Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bird watching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Bird watching Reply with quote

I am NOT a bird watcher; however, I have a friend who is, and I seem to recall hearing that there are some interesting/rare (?) bird species to be seen on the Island. Of course, having little interest and no knowledge of them myself, I couldn't tell him what they are. Anyone into the bird watching on BBI? What might be of interest?

Thanks!
Dan
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Big List of Birds, etc. Reply with quote

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ess-cm-BioInvGLIslands-2000.pdf

This was found while snooping around on the internet. Go to page 17 and you will find a big list of birds seen on Bois Blanc & Drummond. This big report makes one know just how special BBI is.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, very interesting reading, I seem to be becoming a bird watcher. I Always think there are not so many birds up there but if I sit long enough they start talking and coming closer. Being in the middle of the woods does'nt help either there is much more wildlife at the waters edge. Thanks again.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Bruce and any others interested::

I had thought about posting “birdwatcher’s” post. You beat me. I studied the link you posted very carefully and intend to re-read it… My post would have been along the lines… "BBI birdwatchers… HELP!” BBI is indeed a special place as far as rare, unusual endangered song and shore bird species.

When I was a boy, my mom in her infinite wisdom, educated me (bribed me) to learn all the Michigan songbirds and wildflowers by sight/name. She WAS “The Naturalist”.

The game went like this: See (or hear) a bird or wildflower: “What is that?” 5 cents if I got it right. -10cents if I got it wrong. “I don’t know” = wrong if she thought I knew but forgot. The game went both ways if we came upon a “stumper”… something new/different. Mom had all her bird and flower books and kept lists. She was a life member of the Audubon society. There is no other way to learn but by study.

What she taught me, I treasure. Taking a walk in the spring woods and being able to identify the song birds by sight and song takes things from black and white into three dimensional color…Like being deaf and all of a sudden, being able to see and hear all that is around. Thanks for the gift, mom.

Here in mid state, I KNOW all the songbirds as “standard”. I feed them all winter. I look forward to spring when the migrations come and get to see something new and unusual now and then. I keep a list, too..

Bois Blanc Island? I am LOST. Yeah… there are many of the regular songbirds. I take my bird books. I am still lost. When the spring migrations come… all the seldom seen, rare warblers heading further north are overwhelming. Warblers are hard to identify by sight. Song is even more difficult. I am pathetic at it, so far. All new uncharted territory. This spring… I am on a mission!

To be a birder…All it take is a couple good bird books (Audubon and Petersons) and a decent set of binocs. (7x35 is OK)… and a little notebook to keep records. With that and a few outings and any interest, getting hooked is inevitable.

But with Warblers, the identification difficulty increases dramatically with such subtle variations among species… And they abound! I am pretty lame on shorebirds too.

In one of the catalogs, I saw a set of binocs combined with a digital camera built right in. See it, photograph it, study it later. On my wish list.

Bruce… Get with me this spring. Anyone else interested in birding… ditto.

Bbi is also home to numerous rare, if not endangered, wildflowers, NEVER seen on the mainland. I am working on that, too. The good news is wildflowers don’t fly!

TDC
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Some not seen but are here. Reply with quote

Just because they did not see some of the birds on that list doesn't mean that they do not come here. Here are some that I have seen that are not listed for BBI. They probably didn't observe in all seasons.

purple martin
king fisher
ruby-crowned kinglet
white-crowned sparrow
brown headed cowbird
barred owl
red breasted nuthatch
purple finch
evening grosbeak

A few that I didn't see on the list was junco, snow owl, and the pine grosbeak.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I need to go back through that list myself. My impression was they were more concerned with migrating and breeding birds, survey probably done in the spring?

Can't say I have ever seen redbrested nuthatch on the island, or in Cheboygan county for that matter? Quite common around mid state, probably 50/50 with white breasted. See any brown creepers on BBI?

I haven't seen an Evening Grosbeak in 25 years. Used to get them every winter when I was a kid (in Oakland County). Seen them here once mid state. I suppose winters have become too mild? Plenty of food north.

I am going to find my "list". We need to compare notes.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Goldfinch Reply with quote

It took me a while to figure out what these birds were because I didn't know that they changed their looks in the winter. See the photo:

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1505
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These birds come to our feeders all year round.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told by a local bird watcher that the more you feed, the more they stay around. Those birdies look pretty well fed. Got to keep feeding thru the winter tho. Cause what they eat during the day is shed in the night, trying to keep warm.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hav a lot of birds at our feeders there is:
Chickidees
purple finch
cardnals
nuthatches
blue jays
tit moouses
two kinds of gross beeks
wood peckers
winter gold finches
morning doves
juncos
I don't know what the morning doves and the grossbeeks are even doing here this time of year.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there doesn’t seem to be much going except COLD… A bird feeder report?

I have been burning through 40lbs of sunflower seeds every 3-4 days. As cold as it has been, the poor birds rely on it (me?) All the usual winter birds…

Some observations:

Many more Juncos this year compared to last. Ton of Doves, too... more than I can ever remember in the winter. Never used to see doves at all. (They like whole corn on the ground, way cheaper than SF seed)

Cardinals must be having a bumper year or something. Never seen so many. I can recall maybe 6-8 years ago, having 3 pairs and seeing them all at once, just before dark, was an EVENT. This year, I counted 21 (at once) and those were just the ones in the trees by the feeder. Weird to look in a pine tree and it looks like a Christmas tree full of red ornaments ! Trying to get pictures is easier said than done. I am working on it, just for the record. There may be a lot of them but they are still skitterish. Step up close to the window and GONE!

Tufted Titmouse’s (Titmice?) Are also prolific. Seeing more every year. First one I ever saw in this area was maybe 15 years ago. A southern Michigan bird which is moving north, I guess due to milder winters.

I never thought much about this: I have red breasted (chestnut sided) nuthatches at about ratio of 2/3-1 of the larger white breasted nuthatches. I was telling a friend I had them and he flat out called me a fibber. He knows his birds forward and backward and said he had never seen one in his lifetime… Nor has his friend who teaches ornithology at CMU. I must be “confused or something” Yeah well. I took a picture of one which I posted…

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1508

They are smaller and have a white band across their eye. I also saw ONE on a feeder I had on the Pigeon River, 2 years ago. I always took them for granted and never thought them to be uncommon???

Anyone else have these at their feeder? I see them ONLY in the winter.

No brown creepers this winter. I have always had at least one pair (They are like micro-mini nuthatches).

I guess I need to get busy taking some pics. Good opportunity to get some close shots..

Kevin,

You mentioned you were getting grosbeaks.

Evening Grosbeaks? Yellow? I was reading my bird book. Says this is their southern range, head to the Artic in the summer. Also they travel in flocks and will stick around as long as there is food.

We use to get them every winter when I was a kid. I think once since I have lived mid state (30 years) and that would have been 20 years ago.

Probably the milder winters mean they don't have to come as far south to find food?

(EDIT)Re read the above posts and see where Mike listed a red breasted nuthatch among island-seen birds)

Last edited by Conis on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the red breasted nuthatch and a larger white breasted one also. The yellow Gross beek and one ruby throated gross beek he is black and white. I only ever see one just him. We have 4 pilliated woodpeckers also. I did have the red headed that has the complete redhead but I haven't seen him for a while. He might of took off to get out of this cold weather.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Nuthatches Reply with quote

Actually here at my feeders the red breasted nuthatch is more common then the white breasted variety.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike at our feeders the red breasted nuthatch is more common then the white breasted one.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
I have the red breasted nuthatch and a larger white breasted one also. The yellow Gross beek and one ruby throated gross beek he is black and white. I only ever see one just him. We have 4 pilliated woodpeckers also. I did have the red headed that has the complete redhead but I haven't seen him for a while. He might of took off to get out of this cold weather.

WOW! The red breasted grossbeak must be lost or something? They come in May and leave October. Winter in South America, I think.

I have pilleated w'peckers back in the woods. Never seen one come to a feeder. Lots more of those lately too. They kind of keep off to themselves.

Red Headed w'peckers.. I have seen 2 in 30 years here in central Mi. I used to see them all the time at my grandmas near Muskegeon. Must be wrong habitat or something. We got all the rest: Hairys, Downeys, Sapsuckers. Red Bellied, 3 Toe. I don't think the red-headed's are all that uncommon, but just not here. Need to read up, I guess.

Red Nuthatch? I don't think they are all that uncommon. I just counted 4 on my feeders. White are in the minority. I will say I have never seen one in the summer.

I just get such a kick out of feeding the songbirds in the winter. I bet I got every bird in surrounding 40 ac coming in. SWARMS of finches and doves... hundreds.

I wonder how those little dudes survive the sub zero weather? How they find food? My theory is the Chickadees... They could find a seed in a haymound. I don't know how... They just do... They get going and attract all the other birds in. Tonight, when I filled my feeders, the Chickadees were landing on the feeders before I hung them back up. I have had them land on me. Feerless.

The Chickadee should be Michigans state bird. Feerless survivors. Robins? I don't have any Robins at the feeder? Bunch of wimp-birds?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy This is fun! That ruby throated one is a Rose-Breasted Grosbeck, Kevin.. We used to have 4 pair every year but not this one.. We usually have Titmouse too but haven't seen any.. We never saw the Juncos except for Spring and Fall when they passed thru but this year we have a few that decided to hang.. The usual Blue Jays and Doves.. We have always had both Nuthatch 'round here.. We have a pair of Cardinals and the red headed woodpecker is actually a Red-Bellied Woodpecker! Go Figure! Confused Of course, the Chickadees and Black, Gray and Fox squirrel.. Yes, A Fox one! The Pileated stay back in the ceder swamp but we get the Downy and the Hairy Woodpeckers too.. The deer are having fun trying to figure out how to tip the bird feeders after they clean up the corn ration.. I love Winter for the critters out my back door.. Really entertaining! Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie,

Not to be a bird correction freak here.

I have Red Bellied woodpeckers. Always have. Red stripe across their crown (male), red tinge on underside, Beautiful B/W feathering on back

The Red Headed Woodpecker has a SOLID red head. You can't miss one. Like I said, seen 2 in 30 years here mid state. About the size of a Hairy. I don't think they are rare, just more of a Southern Mi bird or something.

Squirrels? We used to have nothing but big Fox squirrels around here. Then a few Blacks. Now grays? I guess the blacks are moving south and the Foxes moving north? Who knows. I saw a fox squirrel in Indian River last summer? I have been asking around to figure out if they interbreed or ? No definitave answers yet. All I know is that we have some of the weirdest multi colored squirrels in Michigan. Red, Black and grey all in one.

If Kevin has a Rose Breasted Grosbeak??? That would be a first in my book. I am not saying impossible, but not normal.

The RBGs normally don't come until May. Just like clockwork between May 1-5 and then in a swarm, females always arrive 4-5 days ahead of the males. They come just when the trout lilies are ready to bloom. About 4-5 days later, show up at the straits. HOW DO THEY KNOW TO DO THIS? They winter in BRAZIL!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red head woodpeckers in michigan... Just to keep our woodpeckers defined?

Common...Red Bellied:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker.html

Less common...Red Headed:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-headed_Woodpecker.html
http://www.umesc.usgs.gov/terrestrial/migratory_birds/bird_conservation/images/red-headed-woodpecker_300.jpg

Red breasted nutrhatch:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-breasted_Nuthatch.html

Brown creeper:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Brown_Creeper.html

The cornell.edu site is awsome for finding out about current status of any/all birds in the USA
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I live in Brazel and didn't know it. I think that bird is lost I just hope he makes it. He doesn't come in only when it is sunny and the middle of the day. I don't know where else that he goes. He seems to be OK though.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, I don't disbelieve you. I read somewhere that occasionally they will stick around if they have enough feed. Try to get a picture if you can. Odd enough that it is worth reporting to the bird census folks.

Switch gears a minute; Squirrels.

5 years ago, all I ever saw around Indian River were black and grey squirrels. Over new years, I saw one in the back yard which was the size of a fox squirrel... a "mutant" nearly identical to the ones we now have here in mid state which many believe are a cross between blacks and fox squirrels. They are grey with white breast and white ear tufts. They don't look like a grey squirrel. Twice the size.

Down here, we were once on the boundary. 50 fox squirrels to one black. Bow it is the other way. I don't know what to call the "grey mutants" since there are more of them than either red fox or black squirrels.

I thin the blacks/greys are moving south and the fox moving north with milder winters.

You ever see a fox squirrels around Cheboygan county? I bet they are moving in!
#################

More: I just googled "squirrel interbreeding"
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00328.htm

From 3-4 pages:

Black quirrels are a color phase of the grey squirrel. same critter. It is scientific opinion they do not interbreed with the larger fox squirrels.

Fox squiirels have several color phases including black, white, grey and several shades of red (I didn't know that). Some town in Southern Michigan has "brindle" fox squirrels; red with black stripes through it's fur.

So... I probably answered my own question (above). What we have around mid state is probably the grey phase fox overtaking the red phase. The red phase is more common in southern michigan. What I saw in Indian River last month was likely a grey phase fox. I also learned that fox squirrels will "run out" greys if they are in the majority.

So much for todays squirrel education. Back to birds?
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Rose-breasted_Grosbeak_dtl.html#range
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis yes we had a fox squirrel a year ago and not since We have black Grey and red. The fox squirells are great to watch. I blamed it on the red squirrels for running off our fox squirrel. I have seen them other places in Cheboygan also.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.. Interesting.. We have some grey/red with the white tufts on the ears and white underside.. Are you saying that is a fox phase? In that case we have more fox than any of them.. How wild! Cool
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fox squirrels have an redish orange belly and a redish tint to the hair kind of like a red squirrel only the size of a black squirrel.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
The fox squirrels have an redish orange belly

Thats what I thought, too, until this morning after looking at some pictures of the grey phase fox squirrels. They look a lot like a grey squirrel except they are about twice the size.

When we say "red squirrel" we are not talking about the little pine squirrels are we? Thats another squirrel, yet. (and I "discourage their presense".)

The majority of the ones we have running around here any more, are as Susie described. Grey...with some red mixed in the fur when you look close white underside and white ear tufts. You can really see the red in the tail on some of them. If you put one of these next to a grey squirrel, you could easily see they are not the same critter.

We had a RAGING debate going on. The black squirrels and what I have learned are grey fox squirrels moved into this area about the same time. So up came the subject of interbreeding between black and fox. The experts say this doesn't happen.

If you have a few minutes, google in "squirrel interbreeding". Several very interesting pages came up. There are several towns in the US with pure white squirrels (not albino). In one of the towns, they trap the "normal squirrels" and remove them to prevent interbreeding with the white strain. From what I remember in biology. "white" is a recessive gene. Getting into another subject. Save this for some other time.

I guess whites ones turn up intermittently in wild populations, too. They probably don't last long being so visable. An albino will have not have dark eyes, very uncommon.

From what I remember in biology. "white" is a recessive gene. Getting into another subject. Save this for some other time.

There are also several pockets of black squirrels in southern michigan. Never knew that, either. Many around Lansing that escaped from some lab cages 50 years ago.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you are talking about then The fox squarrels that I have seen have redish gray fur and an redish orange belly and are a little bigger then a black squarrel. Big bushy tail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: