Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Looking for Genealogy information (Surname - Gynac)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michstory
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to all!

I'm not sure if this was the best place or way to post this, but the subject "Looking for genealogy info" seemed appropriate, since that is exactly what I'm doing.

Anyway, I have recently learned that my great-great grandfather, George Delamarter obtained a land patent for a homestead on Bois Blanc Island in 1890, as did his sister, Ella (Delamarter) Gregg. Also, there was an Oscar Eaton who purchased 3 lots in 1889. He was from Williams County, the very northwest corner of Ohio near where George Delamarter's wife was from. I don't know if there is any connection at this point, but I assume so.

Does anyone recognize any of these names and have any information on them? I would greatly appreciate any info.

Additionally, I have prepared land patent maps that I have color-coded by the place of origin of the landowners for other areas where my relatives have been. I am in the process of doing that for Bois Blanc Island. If this hasn't already been done (and therefore a duplication of work), and there is any interest, I will press on and can make this available when I've completed it. In the past this process has helped me to make some connections and unravel some of the story of how families have migrated from one place to another.

Thanks in advance for any info that you may have to share.
Sincerely,
Jason Wallace
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Jason welcome to the site.. In the book " Pointe Aux Pins a History From 1780 " Written by Wayne E. Babler, Jr. 2005 isbn 0-9768646-0-6 On page 92.... a Bradley M. Delmater purchased property in Block 8 lots 1 and 2 0n 3/5/08 ... Then on 7/6/09 Bradley and a Zoe purchased lot 3 in block 8. Hope this helps somewhat, and good luck... No mention of 'Easton "

Uncle Steve
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Delamarter Reply with quote

I show your information in my database. Document # 6423 for George. Section 29, Lots 5&6 are now mostly state owned, except that in lot 5 the township acquired property on a point of land and built the main landing for the island. The garbage transfer station is there too. The back (north end) of lots 5&6 are on Duncan Lake. I once located the remains of a cabin in that area from the 1890's era, near Lake Duncan. Most of the land is low. Near Lake Duncan is an area that is a little better drained near the cabin remains.

The sister Ella had document # 6450. Section 24, lots 6, 7 & 8 have frontage on lake Thompson and is all state owned. Trees have a hard time growing there due to poor drainage and poor soil. There is a road across lots 7&8 to the campground / boat launch on lot 8.

Oscar Eaton's property, Section 10, lots 1, 2 & 3, was on the north side of the island with frontage on Lake Huron. Those lots are now all state owned. The only private property in the section is lot 5 owned by the BBI Hunting Club. Lots 1,2 & 3 have some nice hardwoods once you get on top of the bluff. There once was a military lumbering operation conducted on those lots.

Sorry I don't know anything personal about your relatives, but I can only offer what I know about the land. George & Ella applied for their claims at the Grayling Land Office. Oscar Eaton applied for his claims at Reed City.
michstory
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! First to Uncle Steve, is there any chance that Bradley may have been Bird Delamarter? I recognize Bird, but not Bradley. Second, is there any indication how long they owned those properties? I assume that land records for the island are kept at the Mackinac County courthouse if I were to go looking for them?

What was the approximate time frame for the military lumbering that you refer to, Mike?

Thanks again!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Military firewood site Reply with quote

Circa 1820-30. It is close to the section line. It may be in section 10, lot 8. I would speculate that they were not after lumber. They were after firewood. On Mackinac, cutting of trees had been forbidden at that time. There was a big stink. The commander ordered the civilians as well as the soldiers to cut no trees on Mackinac Island. That made a lot of the people mad. Appeals were made to the Territorial Governor, Cass. I think the order stood. The people and soldiers had to go to Round Island, Bois Blanc Island, Saint Ignace, etc. for wood to burn or for planks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: