Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Gynac / Gignac family history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Gynac / Gignac family history Reply with quote

WOW Exclamation IT LOOKS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE INTRESTED IN GENEALOGY . SO, HERE IS THE UPDATE ON MY RESEARCH.
PHILIPPE GIGNAC WAS BORN IN QUEBEC CANADA NEAR THREE RIVERS.
HIS PARENTS WERE ONESIME / OLYSIUSE GIGNAC AND VIRGINE BIRON/ BERON. ALSO BORN NEAR THREE RIVERS.
PHILIP GYNAC MIGRATED TO THE U.S. ABOUT 1888 AND LANDED IN CHEBOYGAN MI. AND HE CHANGED THE SPELLING OF HIS NAME SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY. IT SEEMS HE WAS MARRIED 3 OR MORE TIMES , AND HAD 8 OR MORE CHILDREN.
IT WAS SAID THAT HE WAS A MAIL CARRIER. bUT IT IS NOW SAID THAT HE WAS A BOOT LEGGER AND HAD TROUBLE WITH THE LAW. SO, HE DID NOT DROWEN BUT RETURNED TO CANADA AND IS BURIED SOMEWHERE NEAR THREE RIVERS / TRIOS RIVIERS QUEBEC. I WILL TRY TO KEEP UPDATING THIS POSTING WITH NEW INFO. THANKS FOR YOUR INTREST SBUCK
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could be something like 14th cousins twice removed!

My dad side of the family is Canadian also originating from Three Rivers Que WAY back. I spent a lot of time last winter reserearching and recall seeing Gignac in my tree as well. My dads family wound up in SW ontario and eventually immigrated around 1890.

Problem is spelling. Family names were butchered by census takers. Most were illiterate, anyway.

I lost a lot of my work when my PC drive croaked last august. Hopefully I have it backed up on Ancestry.com Resubscribe to find out.

A lot of work. At one point I paid a researcher in Windsor to to access some film archives and church records... to coinfirm birthdates and spellings. No choice after hitting a brick wall on a name change.

Good luck in your mission!

My Last name is Dupuis , alt dupuy, dupuie, dupe dupea. see if those show in your records.
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: DESCENDANTS FOR PHILIP GYNAC Reply with quote

I FOUND AN OBITUARY FOR CHALOTTE (GIGNAC/GYNAC) CORRAN . AT THE CHEBOYGAN LIBIARY . DATED MAR 1928 FROM THE CHEBOYGAN NEWS PAPER. CHARLOTTE GYNAC MARRIED WM CORRAN ABT. 1897 AND DIED MAR 1928. SHE HAD 1 SON HARRY CORRAN. THEY LIVED IN CHEBOYGAN MICH.
4 SISTERS - BELL GYGNAC MARRIED HARVEY NELSON ABT. 1911 IN CHEBBOYGAN, ANNA ELLSWORTH FROM LANSING , CELIA MARRIED FRED MELLOR/MILLER ,
MRS STANLEY ATCHISON , COULD BE - KATHERINE, ANGELINE, VRINGINE, OR GRACE? THREE BROTHERS- ARNOLD, JOESPH, AND HENRY GYNAC B- 1906 IN CHEBOYGAN. HERNY'S MOTHER WAS ROSANA DURCHER/ DESROSIERS (2nd WIFE) TO PHILIP GYNAC/GIGNAC.
THEY LIVE IN BEAUGRAND TWSP. MAYBE EVEN ON BBI ?

Last edited by sbuck on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: 1st WIFE TO PHILIP GYNAC Reply with quote

PHILOMEN COURTOIS WAS BORN - ABT 1860 KNOWEN AS (ANEY GENAC/ GYNAC/ GIGNAC ) SHE DIED MAR 09, 1903 IN BEAUGRAND TWSP. CHEBOYGAN MI. SHE WAS FROM THREE RIVERS ,QUEBEC, CANADA. HER FATHER WAS GEORGE COURTOIS . THEY MAY HAVE BEEN PART INDIAN? I AM SEARCHING FOR HER BURIAL PLACE. SHE IS MOTHER TO A NUMBER OF THE GYNAC CHILDREN.

Last edited by sbuck on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:41 am; edited 2 times in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Still Looking Reply with quote

I want you to know that I have been going to the Cheboygan Library almost every day this last week and looking at micofilm of a newspaper called the Cheboygan Democrat. I started at around the year 1880 a few years back and I'm now up to the summer of 1897. It takes a day to look at only a few months news. I have to scan though the entire paper looking for stuff about Bois Blanc. Anyway, I have not seen the word Gynac mentioned yet in anything that I have located. If I do run across something about the Gynac's, I will let you know.

This is something that you could do. You have knowledge about the family that I do not. It is so easy to miss something in those papers. I could easily have missed something about them.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Maybe this will help? Reply with quote

Here is a picture I found one time on the internet. Someone was asking about the Hartleps. Maybe you could print this poor resolution picture out and show it to your aunt. Maybe your family or others on this site can recognize or have more information on this picture. Click below.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1521
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: OLD PICTURE Reply with quote

THATS A GREAT IDEAL , I WILL SEND A COPY TO MY LIVING RELATIVE OUT IN COLORADO, IT MAY REMIND HER OF SOMETHING ABOUT BBI ?
THANKS AGAIN SBUCK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: