Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

TIPs: Moving photos from other sites, the the BBI site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: TIPs: Moving photos from other sites, the the BBI site Reply with quote

Seems like some who are unsure how to post photos in an album or "hotlink" a photo found on another site, to this one. Site newcomers in particular. Time for a quick review?

Not complicated at all, only a couple of steps and once you do this a couple times, it will become automatic. So... A brief tutorial for those who have never done this or are unsure exactly how to go about it: This assume basic skills of creating folders and moving around between them, and being able to copy/paste with a mouse. It also assumes you are using WINDOWS. I am unfamiliar with Mac.

There are Max-size limits for any photo you may want to upload. Susie found a very slick microsoft utility for reducing photo sizes from usual camera size pictures. PM me and I will send you the link to it. I use it frequently and it is MUCH faster-simpler than going through a graphic program to resize.

Get set up first. Create a temporary picture holding folder than is easy to find.

To keep things simple: I have created a folder called "NETPICS" on my primary hard drive C:, so I don't have to search through multiple folders, in layers, to locate a stored picture. I consider NETPICS a temporary storage "holding-folder" and delete or otherwise store whatever is in it, in the correct folder, later on.

So for examples given below. I will use "NETPICS" as the folder I store temporariy photos from email or the internet in. A plug in flash drive make this easier yet. Store photos there, no searching through drives and sub folders.

TIP: Once this NETPICS folder has been created, open it. (if new, will show as empty) Click VIEW from the bar on top. Click THUMBNAIL. This will permit you to see photos for easy identification and not have to type in file names.

Ready to go.

To SAVE a picture from the net or from email: Right click that picture and a box pops up: click SAVE AS. Another box will pop up. At the top is a scroll box will will allow you to locate the NETPICS folder you want to save a picture in. At the bottom, of same popup box. Name the picture (eg "photo1.jpg") and *.jpg (picture type). click SAVE The picture is now saved in folder NETPICS as "photo1.jpg."

To upload "photo1.jpg" from your computer: Go to the photo album you want to upload to on this site, click UPLOAD PIC button. A screen pops up with BROWSE allowing you to locate the NETPICS folder on your computer. Locate the photo and click on it. In the "browse" text box, you will see its location and name. EG: C://NETPICS/photo1.jpg Then click upload. This copies your stored photo in NETPICS to the selected album on the BBI site. The same procedure would be applied if you have personal pictures stored in different folder(s).

Obviously, if you have several photos being stored in NETPICS, each should have a different name photo1.jpg, photo2.jpg etc. For this reason I have suggested using THUMBNAIL to quickly identify which picture is which when viewing the NETPICS folder, to upload.

To create a link to this picture from your post being made on the site, Click on the album picture for the larger version. Copy and paste* the URL (address located at the top of the OUTLOOK browser) of this picture into the text box where you normally type your message.

EG: (link) http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1525 (which is the specific location of Kevin's bear picture) When you upload a picture is will not have the same name you have given it. It is assigned an ID number, instead. This is beacuse there are thousands of pictures stored on the BBI site, each with it's own unique ID number regadless of which album it is in.

It isn't possible to post a picture stored in a BBI album, within a post. It must be linked. See "hotlink" below.

AVATAR: Use the same procedure described above except upload through your personal profile (picture upload is way down toward the bottom of the profile page). I created a folder C://AVATAR used to store funny-interesting etc little pics I pick up around the web. Most require downsizing.

HOTLINK: If you store personal pictures on another website OR see something interesting you would like to include in a post, which is located on another site...

Right click on the picture you have found or use in your post. Rather than "save as", click on "PROPERTIES", which brings up a box detailing the information about that picture including it's address. Copy and paste this address into the text box you normally type in.

*As follows:

When the properties box is up, hold down the left mouse key and highlight the URL. Then press keys Control+C at the same time. You have copied the URL to your "clipboard" where it will remain unltil you copy something else.

When you are making your post, place your cursor where you want the picture and press CONTROL+V (at the same time) which "pastes" the stored url into the text box. One last move: Highlight the url you have just pasted in (left button mouse drag over URL address) and select-click IMG from the boxes above the text box.

It will look like this in the type in text box
Code:
 [img]http://address_pasted_in/someones_picture.jpg"[/img]
This displays the picture rather than link to it.

This all sounds to complicated and too much to remember? Might be if you are trying to follow along step by step reading this here and do it at the same time. You could always a new Window with a second BBI site. One to work in and the other to read. That might get messy if you aren't paying attention which is what.

Suggestion: Copy and paste THIS post into your word processor and save/print it for reference. Highlight all text in this post with your mouse, CONTROL +C= Copy. Open your word processor (word, works, notepad or whatever you use.) CONTROL+V=Paste.

If you "print page" from outlook, you will get all the graphics and any subsequent posts, besides.

Hope this clarifies things. Not hard at all IF you know the steps and how to go about it.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo..you said a mouthful! Shocked
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al'sOtherSister wrote:
Oooo..you said a mouthful! Shocked

What you really meant was " Ooowee doo-wa ditty, talk about the boy from New York City".

Hey, show your colors. show your posting skills! Bet you can't. I want to see it ALL! Buck up or twink out!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Magic White Rectangles Reply with quote

What I want to know is how you make those white rectangles with copied text? Do you use Snippy for that?
Samspath
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Magic White Rectangles Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
What I want to know is how you make those white rectangles with copied text? Do you use Snippy for that?

(Conis insert, clarification: Highlight the text to be shown as a quote first... then...

You click on the Quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post you would like to quote. Very Happy

If you run the mouse over the options boxes above the text box, usage examples and key shortcuts for each will be displayed above the text box.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get the magic white rectangles to work. When I follow those directions, the entire post comes up.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't followed the prime directive my boy!

If you click "quote" to respond to a post... The entire post will come up quoted.

If you are typing or pasting text into the text box... then highlight it, then click Quote above the text box, only the highlighted text will be shown as a quote.

it will look like this example in the text box. (I am using "code" so you can see)

Code:
[quote] typed or pasted text [/quote]

You can always use preview to see how your post will lookl before you submit it. Go back and fix errors, typos etc.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You click on the Quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post you would like to quote.

I might have it!!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You click on the Quote button in the upper right hand corner of the post you would like to quote.

I'm a visual learner!! Those directions were confusing!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what is working for me:

1. Highlight desired text correct

2. Hit Post Reply (I wasn't doing this before) correct

3. Hit quote from text box (not yet)

4. Paste

> Highlight the text in the text box you have just pasted in that you wish to be shown as a quote

5. NOW HIT QUOTE
Thanks for your help....I'm just a little slow!!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost, See above... I inserted and deleted a step.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It worked!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just have to reread your directions about the avatar and I will have two new toys to play with!!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Doing my homework. Reply with quote

I'm attempting to follow the lesson plan. I have a folder called "e-mail pictures" that I use for the same purpose you mentioned for NETPICS.

Now I resized using the custom settings in the Microsoft Utility. I then moved the picture to my E-MAIL PICTURE folder. Then uploaded it to this site.

Now I have selected the address of the pieture on this site and typed Control-C to copy.

Now I am typing this with the address of the picture being held inside this magic box somewhere (clipboard). Typing Control-V after moving the blinking line to where I want it.

Then after the address appeared from that magic place, I Highlighted (selected) it, and clicked on the "Img" button to put [img] in front and [/img] behind the address.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Doing my homework. Reply with quote

I'm attempting to follow the lesson plan. I have a folder called "e-mail pictures" that I use for the same purpose you mentioned for NETPICS.

Now I resized using the custom settings in the Microsoft Utility. I then moved the picture to my E-MAIL PICTURE folder. Then uploaded it to this site.

Now I have selected the address of the pieture on this site and typed Control-C to copy.

Now I am typing this with the address of the picture being held inside this magic box somewhere (clipboard). Typing Control-V after moving the blinking line to where I want it.

Then after the address appeared from that magic place, I Highlighted (selected) it, and clicked on the "Img" button to put [img] in front and [/img] behind the address.

Now I see what you mean when you said you can't post a picture stored in a BBI album. Lets see, Copy-Paste-Quote what was pasted. Cool.
Quote:
It isn't possible to post a picture stored in a BBI album, within a post. It must be linked.

You must be linked to ANOTHER web site. Is that correct? I'll paste the address again so it can be seen.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1526
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike that is correct. You can link (only) to a photo stored on this site. I am not sure why? It might be doable with HTML code but none of this use that.

If you link to a picture stored elsewhere, you can use the IMG brackets to display it as an image rather than a link.

There are plenty of picture-storage sites, free. You can pull personal pictures form those or other websites. Susie could recommend which storage sites to use. ( I still maintain a site so I can use my own url)

This url with img (in brackets) in the text box:
Code:
[img]http://www.ats-sonic.com/birdfeed.JPG[/img]

produces this:

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that we were not allowed to post pics in our messages??
You are breaking the website law...where is Rob, the website sherriff when you need him? LOL!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use image cave.com or photobucket.com
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought that we were not allowed to post pics in our messages??

Anyone may post pic's in their message, so long as they have them stored somewhere on the 'net. The reason they don't show from this album is that the address ends in .php. The address needs to end in .jpg or .gif or some other image format.

Thanks for the tutorial Conis!

http://www.bridge-view.net
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob... Thanks.

I didn't want to get into the'"why" part of this. I am learning "php" stuff to get current. Anyway, I hoped this post has helped those who din't know exacty how to do what. Stuck? PM me and I will walk you through.

TDC
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing a fine job, Conis.. I also want to recommend your image size for posts be under 700 pixels wide (or long) for two reasons.. Dialup users have to wait and the image will fit nicely in the post.. Cool
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH aka als sister just made a point I completely overlooked re posting pictures. Smaller the better...640x480, 320x200. Dont need monster size pictures to simply show something. Kind of inconvenient having to scroll all over and look at big pictures in sections.

I was diging around and found this under FAQ

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/faq.php?mode=bbcode

Tips and tricks for BBcode which is what is used on this site.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob!!!! There you are! Very Happy

Is This to big?

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Conis ... Thank you Thank you Thank you

Whew !! I needed that help !!

I have not really went though it all yet .... but it is here when I have time .. If I have questions I will for sure p.m. you !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: pic Reply with quote

Lisa .. I meant to add:

The picture is so real !! Like I can walk into the picture !! and be there ..
Its really pretty ..
~~FeFe~~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: