Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bois Blanc People, Hello from a troll.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Bois Blanc People, Hello from a troll. Reply with quote

At long last after 40 years of driving by Bois Blanc, my wife and I will more than likely be landing on Bois Blanc this summer. We would appreciate any and all feedback from any of you on how to enhance our journey. This will be a milestone in the Hitzeman family travels.
Due to a registration glitch on memberlist #713 my information is moved under #715, Grizz.
My family stayed three miles across at Hillcross Beach through the years, 4 miles from Cheboygan. I've peered at Bois Blanc through many lenses for many moments. We've watched many ore boats go by. We've seen bicycle riders riding at night, or something awesome.
We hope to find the true Michigan as Etienne Brule found it way back in 1610 or a semblance thereof. We've found out much about Bois Blanc's history by researching many websites and books, like the old amusement park, hiding the ships before attacking Fort Mackinac. Too bad we won't be able to drive to the lighthouse since it's private property but if anyone can connect us with the owner of the grounds, we'd appreciate it.
Thanks to the Insel House and other websites about Bois Blanc. We hope to see some of you this summer, Fourth of July week, our 9th anniversary.
Sincerely, djhitz, Ft. Wayne, IN
P.S. My mom's from Harbor Beach. I'm half Wolverine to any concerned.

Last edited by djhitz on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dan and your family too! Very Happy I think you will enjoy yourself a lot when you come over.. Be sure to reserve a spot on Plant's ferry in advance and bring a vehicle you don't mind getting dirty or scratched.. The trip to the lighthouse requires it.. I have taken my Jeep Cherokee out there several times.. There is a gate and room for a vehicle to park at the end of the trail and you can follow a path to the beach for easy viewing of the lighthouse.. You may want a tour guide.. Cool Lot's to see but the best part for me is lingering.. Laughing Lingering at the beach, in the woods, at the store and tavern.. Wink Enjoying the pace..
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are not mistaking the other Bob-Lo Island down by Detroit when you've done a search on the internet. It's very confusing sometimes. One thing is to my knowledge there never has been an amusement park on our island. The amusement park, which I have been to years ago, was on the Bob-Lo Island by Detroit which is Canadian.

I do hope you enjoy our island if you come over this summer. There is lots of peace and quiet on our island if you like that kind of thing. Also many wild animals will be seen on the trip around the island, along with many other points of interest and history. Enjoy yourselves.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dan
Your mom is from habor beach that is a nice area. I think you will like the island, it is set back and a slow pace. The people are all friendly and willing to help if needed most of the time. So come and have a great time. Just remember the longer you stay the more you like it.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, and welcome. It sounds like you are at least partially confusing this Bois Blanc (the one in the Straits of Mackinac) with the other Bois Blanc ("Bob-Lo") some 290 miles away in the Detroit River - that's the one that used to have an amusement park on it. No such amenities here. Since you mention Cheboygan, you probably have the right island in mind, but the fact that both islands have the same name may be confusing in your research.

Again, welcome!
Dan
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dan! :wave:

Sorry for the rocky start. I transfered all your info out of the grizz profile into your djhitz profile. Hope you enjoy your visit to our beautiful island.

Rob

http://www.bridge-view.net
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: BobLo Reply with quote

Hey! Lets go to BobLo. Check this site out. The Bob-Lo Forum looks a little familiar. The Links are very interesting.

www.boblosteamers.com
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, Welcome. You mention you will be here 4th of July week. Be sure to come to our "Annual Fun Day" on July 7th at the Fire Department. There will be crafts, a bake sale, food, ice cream, flea market and raffle for over 100 gifts. Hope to see you there!
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Bois Blanc History. Reply with quote

Michigan history 101, Shocked I hope I'm not confusing islands. I know of that Bob-Lo near Detoit. I saw a photo a long time ago in the old Mama Mia's Pizza Bridge Museum of what I thought was an amusement park on our Bois Blanc not the one in the south. This was in the like the fifties, I think. I could be mistaken.
Along with this was a proposed Mackinaw Bridge coming off of US23 from the east and skipping onto Bois Blanc and the Mackinaw Island and then to St. Ignace. How happy and grateful we all are this never took place.
Thank you Ms. Walker for the kindly invite to the fire house on July 7.
Al's sister I'll hope my Ypsalanti built F150 withstands.
Rob, many thanks dude. You're the man.
Dan
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting link Dad. Must not be very old, since their member numbers and posts are quite low.

The forums do have a familiar style. I looked at the pics they had for sale though, and none compare to the beauty I see on Bois Blanc. They look a little "ghost-townish."

I've never been to Bob-Lo Island. I should visit before I move back up North. Looks like there will be transportation to and from fairly soon, with that steamer renovation.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: island Reply with quote

I too would like to go to that bob-lo ..... just to check it out .. it there is not to too many people ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: The other Bob-Lo Reply with quote

The amusement park is just a memory. All condos now. They may run the steamer again but only up and down the river.

I, a long time ago, visited Kay Winters in Detroit. If my memory is right, I went to the state fair or Bob-Lo or both with her. We cruised down and back on the steamer. I think the ride I wanted to go on was called the Wild Mouse. So long ago.

There is also a lighthouse there which is a Canadian historical site. That Bob-Lo was even mixed up with the Michigan one by writers way back in the late 1700,'s and early 1800's. The place visited in Mackinaw City obviously mixed them up too. There has never been an amusement park on the northern Bois Blanc. There also has been confusion about dance halls on Bois Blanc. There were dances held on the northern island in the late 1800's and early 1900's sponsered by the resort at Pointe aux Pins. At the southern BBI, Henry Ford had a large dance hall built, so I have read. Penny Rickwalt says tickets for the dancehall on BBI were for sale on ebay. I can only assume the southern BBI.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike- I went into the website like you suggested and found a fabulous dance hall that was at the Canadian Boblo. Don't think our island would've supported something as big as that.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: site Reply with quote

Mike .

Thanks for sharing that Bo-Lo site ..

I went in and read the quests posts ... They all said they loved that island and it was a blast . Did you read them ??? If so, since you did take that trip to Bo-Lo did you think it was a fun place to go ?????

When I lived in Michigan I always thought about that island ,wondering what it was all about ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Amusement park on BBI Reply with quote

I was a teenager when I went to the amusement park. It was like going to a carnival or fair where there were a lot of rides. It was fun, but something you would only do for a day. By the time I went, in the 60's, that was all there was to do there. You didn't get to go anywhere else. Or, possibly, I was unaware that there was anything else to see.

It is all gone. Developers have made it into a place to live.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

I can see why the kids in detroit would have a blast ...many of them did not go on vactions or have Grandparents that lived on the Beautiful island like we did ...

I can understand why the city people would love living there ..
Shaya feeley
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: site Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
Mike .

Thanks for sharing that Bo-Lo site ..

I went in and read the quests posts ... They all said they loved that island and it was a blast . Did you read them ??? If so, since you did take that trip to Bo-Lo did you think it was a fun place to go ?????

When I lived in Michigan I always thought about that island ,wondering what it was all about ...

Hi Aunt Connie faye, I went to Bob-Lo Island on a 4-H trip in 1989. Yes it was blast. Shaya[/quote]
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Shaya Reply with quote

Shaya
You are doing better then I am and I have been here on the site a while now ... you put my words in the white box ..I do not how to do that .. guess I do not take the time to learn how ..

AS I said before

KEEP COMING BACK !!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Boyz Blank Reply with quote

Shaya, When you lived on the island, did you pronounce the name "Boyz Blank"? When I was a Kid on the island, the island was never pronounced "Bob-Lo" [by the local people]. If you said Bob-Lo, you were talking about the amusement park downriver from Detroit.

Knowing both places, and if given a choice back then, I would have chosen Boyz Blank to go to without hesitation. Bob-Lo was good for a day, but Bois Blanc was/is good for a lifetime.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said Mike. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Hoosier Dan Reply with quote

Hey, how about this: I've been upped from "Black Fly Bait" to "Lost Buoy".
What constitutes this promotion if it is a promotion, Rob?
Oh, by the way: I visited Bruce Lord's, a fellow Hoosier, last July 5, 2007. A great tour , Bruce. Your island house is awesome.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: 2 Reply with quote

you are right mike we never called it Bob-lo ..
but then later when I was older we did and when I was living in Alaska and I got a black lab I named him after our island here "Bob-Lo"

Do you remember him ???
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Set Record Straight! Reply with quote

A year has passed since these last entries. I'm kind of not pleased because in signing the initial post in my proper legal name saying, "Sincerely, Hoosier Dan (nom de guerre) of Fort Wayne, IN", that was put m on the web, dang! Who'd have thought the most harmless site, I use would end my name up on "Google"! I've lost my anonimity. Now, I am famous, right? I hope, I get rich now. I'm still young. I really deserve it. I'll do something to help us all if you all, please make me rich, international search engine.
Anyway, to set the record straight, It's been a year and since I visited Bois Blanc Island. I've learned quite a bit more about the Island. Let me say, I'd been travelling by Bois Blanc Island since, I was a kid travelling in Michigan with my parents and then since I've travelled in MI with my wife. I guess now that we've made it to the island all is well but we could have been doing stuff out there all along. We'll go again soon, God providing a miracle.
Everyone's wonderful on the island. Everybody waves driving by. thanks Rob, Bruce, John, Mike and Connie an Susan and the other couple from Grabill.
It's a neat place. Twelve or so miles long and about 4 miles wide at the widest. There's a long, light house, shoal on north side. It's poxed with birch trees many of them, very tall. It's quite stony and ground, solid on the western end and lower and more marshy on the east end. Great beaches. It's a long, giant, stone reef formed by ice and water and from the current in the straits.
The island is accessible by car ferry(Paunt's), boat or aircraft. I discourage swimming because the current is plenty strong and the water's cold and it's about 3 miles.
We were very fortunate to get there. Alot of people down here in Indiana have not inherited the travel bug. Their loss. The fewer Hoosiers in Michigan the better, right? I'm one of you, though. My mom kneeled in the Muskegon sand one month before I was born and then instinctively at the age of 28, I got stuck in the same sand in my Honda. I've hiked Picture Rocks and bicycled Mackinaw Island, many times. We still haven't been to the Porkies or Drummond Island. My Mom's from Michigan and my great, Dad always delivered me to it, among other great places and in their honor, I've gone to Bois Blanc on my own. There's alot of homes on Bois Blanc but people aren't out here all the time. It sure is a quiet, nature, place. It's the old, village, MI.

Last edited by djhitz on Thu May 12, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: "Down to serious business/travelling." Reply with quote

"Yeah! I'm a troll, all right. I reside about 365 miles below, the bridge. Dad used to call, Northern Michigan our "second home". I call it "home". It just usually takes 50-51 weeks to get home for a week or two. This year, I fear, we won't make it "home" at all. Due to these $4.25 per gallon gas prices. Really, they ruined my travelling rights after, $3.00. Plus, my wife and I have met a few scrapes in the past couple years. We had the ultimate, UP vacation, last year. This year looks, grim as to if we'll make it or not. it seems to be going around.
Ya know folks. I come back to this site on occasion. Not much any more, I'm sorry to say. I keep in contact with theislandgirl and Al's Sister's on my Facebook. I just logged on to see that there's only been 22 posts since, I last logged on on April 20th. I'm going to make it more of a point to visit this site this summer. Because, I had every intention of visiting, Bois Blanc again but due to this crappy economy and high gas prices. That dream is kind of messed up."
"I've learned, a heck of a lot about, Michigan and the people and place of Bois Blanc Island since, I started this post back in 2007."
"I really like Bois Blanc and you people who make up the community on this site and on the island are stupendous. I just thought I'd tell you so."
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: TRAVEL Reply with quote

Dan
So sorry you are not able to make the trip back to our beautiful island ...
The gas prices are making it so hard for alot of folks and I feel that the prices are a sin ...

I wish more of us would come back to this site even if we are not always talking about "island events " ~~ we all have so much in common and its not all about the island, its about our lives and what we have to deal with these days and when we are visiting with our friends when we are on the island its not all about the island, there is so much more we visit about .... we are all in this together, the world affairs, and we share it all when we are on the rock ....

this site is so great to have ..... so lets all met here and share !!!

I miss everyone that no longer come here as often and I am one of them that do not come back here as I feel there is no one here to visit with.....

the past few years that I have made it to the island, I should have came here to share more...

Have a good summer Dan, keep coming back and share with us even if its at your home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: