Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Interesting Cougar Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Interesting Cougar Article Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be a shocker if you happened to see a cougar stroll through your BBI property?!

http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1175008513254160.xml&coll=4
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been people that claim to see a cougar on BBI over the last 20 yrs. I cannot say yes or no to this I haven't ever seen one. I did see something that I thought was a cougar cross the hwy on 23 by the TV tower south of Cheboygan. I never reported it because I wasn't sure. A friend of mine here in cheboygan saw one 2 yrs ago where he was baiting deer and there was an area that had some soft ground and it left a track and he made me go out the next day to see it. It was in the first week of nov. The track was a cat track and a pretty good size one but I don't know what a cougar track looks like so I couldn't help him confirm. This is for Doug. He is just an attorney what does he know anyway. Maybe he just made it up.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of the article, it doesn't look like the DNR is too keen on receiving the reported sightings. More work on an already understaffed workforce? As one person said, hard to manage an animal that they can't really confirm is there. Seems to me that with all of these sightings, they could confirm the animal is here. They don't think there are any breeding pairs here but I really wonder about that.
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this link with a few stories
http://www.miwildlife.org/
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some great reading in the links. Kevin...there is also a nice photo of what the cougar print looks like. Does it look familiar??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Fishers ? Reply with quote

I once caught a good look at a brown and black long haired animal on Hoover Rd. near the bridge over the creek. It moved like a cat and swished it's tail around like a cat. It was a little bigger than a racoon. I thought, damb, the DNR have planted wolverine on BBI. Since that incident, after talking with others, I think & others think that it was a fisher. Ever hear of or see anything like that on BBI Kevin?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard or seen a fisher on the island Mike I have seen rabits deer fox bear and once in a while moutain lions but never a fisher.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fishers ? Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
I once caught a good look at a brown and black long haired animal on Hoover Rd. near the bridge over the creek. It moved like a cat and swished it's tail around like a cat. It was a little bigger than a racoon. I thought, damb, the DNR have planted wolverine on BBI. Since that incident, after talking with others, I think & others think that it was a fisher. Ever hear of or see anything like that on BBI Kevin?

A Badger maybe?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Not a badger Reply with quote

When I was young I saw a badger on Sharon Rd. near where we lived at the time. It was flatter shaped and ran low to the ground. It didn't have the cat like movements. I looked up fisher. In the east they are sometimes called fisher cats. The pictures look like what I saw. It's tail looked like it was as long as the rest of it's body. It sat up on it's haunches with it's tail in the air and moved the tip of it's tail around like cats do. They do hang out near streams, but they do not usually fish. They like the coniferous forest near streams. They can scream like a baby in trouble. I heard a scream like that once while hunting, but I presumed it to be a bobcat. Made the hair stand right up on the back of my neck. Imagination could make you think for sure there were cougers on BBI. The range of a few fishers would cover all of BBI. I assume that the range of a couger would be greater. They may come and go from the island, but I have some doubts as to them living here over a long period. Same thing goes for bears. They visit but don't stay.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen 2-3 badgers, one closer than I cared for. More like HUGE coons except way more ornery. I think I posted a story about a hunting buddy (4 star idiot) that reached into a hole trying to grab one by the tail. He lost his Mackinaw Jacket and lucky not his hand.

No idea what a fisher looks like? A large version of a mink or weasel?

Don't want to mess with those either!

One time the cat brought in a "Lesser Ermine" all white, sort of a minature weasle. Except for attitude. Save this story for another posting.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Mean Reply with quote

I read that fishers are very mean too. One of their favorite foods is porcupine. May be the reason that there are none on BBI. Humans are a better guess though for the lack of porkys on BBI.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be mean too if you ate a porcupine for breakfast!
Northbound
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To learn more about the Fisher Cat, check out this article.

http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/fisher.html
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Not a Ferrel Cat. Reply with quote

My wife and I make regular visits to Wilderness State Park to check on water levels, vegetation growth, etc. While on our hike on the north shore of Waugoshance Point which is no easy hike. We were observed by a small tan cat like creature. It was smaller than a good sized panther maybe two and a half feet or more without its tail and we saw it on the run from the rear. Judging from its color and the folds of its skin and thick long tail, it was no ferrel cat as suggested by a skeptical colleague. We reported it it to the gatehouse office and they shrugged it off in disbelief. That's so typical. I failed to get a photo. We'll go out again this year. This was in September after they take down the barriers to protect nesting piping plovers.
Look, my wife and I know animals and nature very well that was not a ferrel cat we saw out there. Plus we saw the tracks of a black bear and at least one or two cubs. We saw their scat and smelled their strong scent. They were out there with us, politely staying in the bush to avoid us. Now them the DNR believed us about. She was spotted going out there before the tourists came in early May. She went out there to have her cubs and start her family. They left us alone. By the looks of things out there not many who hike the north shore. Walking on the stones is treacherous.
Many locals have confirmed that the Michigan panther exsists. We saw one.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a juvenile? Possibly if in September, From a spring litter?

There are more and more reports coming in, some documented with photos. Casts made of tracks . For some reason, the DNR refuses to acknowledge them. Likely politics in some twisted way. Sooner or later someone will turn up a dead one. Highway kill etc. The publicity will get around before the DNR can stop it.

Five years ago, I saw a wolf along the bank of the Pigeon River. 50', 5 minutes. No doubt whatsoever. HUGE tracks in the sandbars. Went direct to Indian River DNR and reported it. Response? "your'e NUTS... no wolves" I couldn't get them to come out and look at the footprints.

Gee, a year later one was caught in a coyote trap? Now there are "12-15" in the PRSF which means there are probably twice as many. Sightings around Afton are frequent.. and there have been problems with livestock the DNR refuses to acknowledge.

Don't get me started on the DNR...
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in these cases, DNR must stand for: DO NOT RESPOND!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
So in these cases, DNR must stand for: DO NOT RESPOND!

Do Nothing Repeatedly.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: sites Reply with quote

There are really good sites in this post ... thanks for sharing ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: