Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

History Channel: Modern Marvels Mackinac Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: History Channel: Modern Marvels Mackinac Bridge Reply with quote

Tune in right now (1/4/2005 11:00PM) to see the Modern Marvels episode about the Mackinac Bridge. Its pretty interesting to watch video footage of it being constructed.

I also have a link to the DVD on the History Channel website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this info ...

I was a child on the island as it was being built ...

I will send for a DVD ... It will be well worth it !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen this ourselves a couple of different times. Pretty interesting! Scary for those that were working high up like they were.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: History - Bridges to the U. P. Reply with quote

You may have noticed in the film about building the "Mighty Mac" that the planners looked into the possibility of building a bridge to Bois Blanc, then Round, the Mackinac, and finally to St. Ignace. Just imagine the Bois Blanc Island exit sign on I-75 and what this place would be like if they had used that plan. They actually sent surveyors here and there were monuments placed. I need to take a picture of it.

Now, you probably won't believe this, but in the 1880's there was a big plan to have all the railroad cars bound for the U. P. to cross from Duncan City to Bois Blanc at the East End, travel to the West End, and then go by ship to the St. Ignace area. The State believing that they owned the land was giving permission to the RR's to go ahead. The Feds said they owned the land and it went to court. The Feds won and that was the end of that plan. Source - Cheboygan Democrat Newspaper

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt there a piece of literature about this handed out by the historical society?

i know i've read it before, and i believe that's where i picked it up. interesting read, i thought... but what i consider interesting is far from what most eighteen year old girls think!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Mackinac Bridge Authority Monument Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the monument placed by the Mackinac Bridge Authority. It is mounted on a 19 X 19 inch cement base. The base was made by Glen Gibbons when he was a young man.
This monument makes me wonder where bench mark A is located? Sorry I can't let you know where this is but at least you can see it here.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1597
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the monument for??

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

I would guess that there was some serious thought, and money spent, on the option of building bridges to Bois Blanc, Round, and Mackinac Islands. Then from Mackinac Island, a bridge would connect to the upper peninsula. That option was rejected in favor of the bridge you see today.

A Bois Blanc Island exit was actually considered at one time. Conis's picture is not too far off from what the planners were considering back then.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: bridge Reply with quote

I put in sharing photos a pic showing the bridge from the air while they were workin on it ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would guess that there was some serious thought, and money spent, on the option of building bridges to Bois Blanc, Round, and Mackinac Islands.

Be glad that plan wasn't used. If it was, BBI wouldn't be anything like it has remained.

"If you build it, they will come..." BBI would have been a ritzy paradise like one of the Florida keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: