Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ranger/Gator/ Mule side x side available at hawks for rent ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island & Island Related Businesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you or your family consider renting Ranger side x sides
yes
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
Depends on the rate
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Are you nuts
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
Can you run a hose from the "kegorator" throught the back window??

That is a sweet looking machine!

Only when the AC is shut off
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about renting jet skis for use on the inland lakes. Don't think there are any laws against it. I could rent life jackets and sell gas and ....and
sorry couldn't help it
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Bruce that's a GREAT idea , Ill put you on the payroll and we could use Kevan's tug to pull them off the beaches, or we could put flotation devises on Conis's Mule.. Glad to see your lighter sarcastic side.. BTW did you want the kegerator franchise also? I'm sure it can be arranged...

Uncle Steve
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Lisa, to answer your question.... A vast majority felt it was an OK-Good idea.. About the same concerns were brought up by some. One VERY GOOD IDEA was floated by our discussion group.. " Charge a flt rate $ 10.00 fee per rental to help the Island's environmental clean up efforts.. G.W pointed out that there IS an ordinance specifically allowing such vehicles to operate, on all roads and trails on the Island as long as they have ORV permits.. The secret, in my humble opinion is "Mature educated/trained renters" As a closing comment 100% of the folks we talked with had an interest in BBI, they were all property owners, or Sib's of property owners.. Sample 20+- 75% yes try it 25% don't think it's a good Idea.. hope this answers your questions.. Insurance CO. has a copy of the Ordinance. and liked the fact that it was a legal activity VS a
Condoned activity.

Uncle Steve
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, what is the good that can come from this Steve? I can not think of anything but lining somebodys pocket. Is there more to it? Please make me a believer. Anyone, anybody that voted yes talk to me. I would guess that most people agreed just to stop hearing about it. I suppose we should all be allowed to start business ventures but at what cost to the fragile environment of the island. I don't believe I have been more upset about anything posted thus far on this site. Sorry, I'm done.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bruce if this is not the worst idea ever it is a close second.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! Hope whomever's insurance policy on these is the best. Someone could end up paying out their you know what. People like suits, even when it may be their own fault. Are they noisy? Here goes the quietness.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, you answered my question.

The initial question was:
Quote:
Would you or your family consider renting Ranger side x sides

My answer, yes I would consider it. For exploring and such. My husband gets alittle cranky when I bring my vehicle home with scratches all up and down the sides! Shocked

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes for a couple reasons.. Mules like this is a big stretch from 4 wheelers/motorbikes.. They move slower and so do the people operating them.. You won't see a hyped up youngun behind the wheel cuz they can't take that they can run faster than these things can go.. Mules are quieter too.. I wish I had one for the Island.. It's more a work horse than a race horse. My friends brought up their street legal one for exploring and it was perfect for two tracks but not single tracks and not thru the woods. The vehicle is too large for that. They weren't interested in illegal activitiy.. They loved being able to see the critters that didn't shy from the vehicle because it was quiet and moved slow..

I think with this as an acceptable thing people will get an idea of the standards expected on BBI.. I'm also positive Steve would educate the users on the do and don't stuff.. He would be tough on the transgressor. It's hard to get into trouble with these things. Tough to roll them or drag race with them, ect. It's a higher standard than the ORV.. I guess what I'm saying, Bruce, is we got to give a little to get a little and I have a tough time with ORV use, like you. But Mules are a different story and more acceptable for me. If the Island could ban ORVs but allow mules would be a wonderful thing..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Odds and Ends Reply with quote

Steve, I noticed that the model your considering only goes 25 mph. I also noted that it has a lower ground clearance then the others, 7.2". There are some big puddles on the North Shore Rd. You might have to "help" solve that problem or otherwise some might get hung up there.

It would help to charge less than what Plaunt charges for a vehicle round trip each day, to entice them to leave their vehicles behind to save money and rely on the Polaris.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another great option is what we are doing in Iowa

I have a golf cart - added a 5" lift kit for clearance, put on oversized ATV tires so they wouldn't go flat as easy and also give more traction - It has a windshield that folds down when it gets warm and also a roof - a box on the back that is big enough to haul a deer - I have played with the governor a little and it runs around 25 mph, (which is plenty fast on the island) - It is very, very quiet!! My wife and I rode it all over last summer when we were on the island - holds 5 gal of gas which will run about 15 hours - I have less than $3000.00 dollars in it - I got rid of a ranger because of the expense of it!
Oh Yes I almsot forgot, it has Koozie holders Laughing
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Koozie holders

Oh Yes, a must! Very Happy

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce You need not to get so upset over this. I mean maybe we should stop Hawk's Landing from selling gas, or stop Plaunts from running a ferry to the Island. Stop the construction company;s from building, Yek lets just turn into Mackinac Island and say no motorized vechile at all. Then we can rent bikes. If it is legal then it should be ok to do.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
I think another great option is what we are doing in Iowa

I have a golf cart - added a 5" lift kit for clearance, put on oversized ATV tires so they wouldn't go flat as easy and also give more traction - It has a windshield that folds down when it gets warm and also a roof - a box on the back that is big enough to haul a deer - I have played with the governor a little and it runs around 25 mph, (which is plenty fast on the island) - It is very, very quiet!! My wife and I rode it all over last summer when we were on the island - holds 5 gal of gas which will run about 15 hours - I have less than $3000.00 dollars in it - I got rid of a ranger because of the expense of it!
Oh Yes I almsot forgot, it has Koozie holders Laughing

I saw Rons Beast. Pretty sweet and might be worth considering as an option to a ranger. Isn't it an EZGO? 2 or 4 stroke? All sorts of aftermarket goodies available for these. Tires, lift kits, rear seats. I think they are even available "customed" like this? And they are SUPER quiet... just sort of purr along...

I had an ancient EZGO 4 seat golf cart... long story... These things are designed to go a zillion miles day in and day out. They NEVER break and if they do, easy to fix... drive belt or something. SO SIMPLE. Fuel efficient, too. Maybe burn half a 5 gallon tank in a year! Ride nice.

The thing I liked the most was I could just jump in, step on the gas pedal and it auto started... off you go. When you stop, it shuts itself off. Mine was a 2 stroke (oil injected). There was a little lever under the seat for reverse... This is the coolest thing of all. No transmission, no whining gears... In reverse "mode" it changed the timing a few degrees and made the motor run backward. A gem of simplicity which is why they go for a zillion miles and never break. The belt drive is a torque converter (like a snomobile). Load them up with 2-4 people and still plenty of power to climb.

Best of all, a new one is about half the cost of a UTV (any make). For transportation mostly... a good choice. Fit in a pickup. Not so heavy that two people can un-stick one of need be.

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EZGO-OFFROAD-GOLF-CART_W0QQitemZ300108547594QQihZ020QQcategoryZ66467QQcmdZViewItem
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Don't get the 40mph, red velvet, pimped out version. The basic 25 mph with oversized tires for $3000 that Conis described sounds better. Quiter, cheaper and less maintenance sounds perfect to me. Can I reserve one now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't get the 40mph, red velvet, pimped out version.

I looked at the picture too and thought how great that red velvet would look with island dust on it!
Logpile
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that's just what we need - a whole bunch of "Fred & Ethels" tearing up the island on noisy toys. One of nicest aspects of the island is the relative solitude. How about bicycle rentals instead?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather see 'Fred and Ethel' tearing it up.. Now there is a picture of BBI I can relate too! We used to pile in the pickup and use a spare bench seat for the elders to sit on in the back.. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies but boy we had fun on our tours of the Island! Cool Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I am overposting on this subject.... Lots of interestingpoints keep popping up. Being the small vehicle junkie I am....

The 2wd Ezgo carts (Ron Petersons) are much lighter, user friendly, fuel efficient, Ride better and mostly 50-70% QUIETER as compared to a mule/ranger/gator etc. And they don't break. These carts are easily converted to 4 seaters. They are designed to be used on a GOLF COURSE, which means day and day out (commercial) use and they must be quiet. I am not familiar with the newer ones... probably better. You can buy used late model reconditioned ones all day long. A lift kit and some knobby flotation tires ... good to go.

You don't need 4wd on the island for running the two tracks.

DUST! Now there's a problem especially with a windshield. Without a windsheild, no dust... just pelted with bugs. With a windshield, also need a top and a rear window. Otherwise the dust rolls in like leaving the back window of a station wagon open.

(referring to the photos I posted of my mule) Mine has a cab on it (for snowplowing) I take the doors off in the summer. Last time to BBI, two of us rode in the cab. Good to go. Two riding in the bed, WHITE with dust.

Why NOT rent mountain bikes, canoes, kayaks as well. Many might find these more attractive than gas powered vehicles. Something for everyone? If UTVS are rented, at least one should be equipped with overhead Canoe/Kayak racks.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think logpile is right bikes only. No motorized vechiles on state land or public roads. private properity only. That would save us road expence dust control, down goes taxes & the cop would have a bike so we wouldn't have to buy gas or a truck for him. No work on county roads and the only vechle would be fire trucks. Construction vechle permitt only. Man that would save us a lot of money. Oh horses can be used. You would have to have a wagon and a horse to get your supplies from the boat. We could sell island licienses only for the bikes, more money in the coffers.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh horses can be used.
Incuding a MULE?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gas products
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
No gas products

Pizza gives me gas sometimes. If the gas is free and I put it in my MULE, am I OK?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: post Reply with quote

Conis

You can never overpost on any subject !! Exclamation Exclamation

So post away Exclamation

You keep alot of action going on this site and that is what we need ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis - the one I have is a "93' EZ-GO and it is a 4 stroke 2 cylinder - the 4 strokes are much quieter than the 2 strokes and no mixing gas and oil.
I'm like you, I thik it is a great way to see the island. Last year we rode over 4 hours steady one day and over 3 hours the next day and we were all over the island including base line road and north shore road - all the way to the west end plus a bunch of 2 tracks I had never been on before - When we left the island I put 2 1/2 gallon of gas in to fill it back up!!!!
Much smooter ride than most ATV's - Fits nice in the back of the pickup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island & Island Related Businesses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: