Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

BBI Bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually all it takes is the dust to to keep your hair in place... Then if you spray on a little water you have some good old paste.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually all it takes is the dust to to keep your hair in place... Then if you spray on a little water you have some good old paste.

Shave your head and the entire hair/shampoo issue is moot. Works for old bald guys.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: bugs Reply with quote

What kind of spidows do we have on the Island/michigan ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of spiders? My opinoin... Nasty spiders. Any spider is ugly and scary to me.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Wood Spiders Reply with quote

Hey, remember those big hairy wood spiders. The ones that liked to hang out in the outhouse? I remember one time when I was about 5 or 6, I was setting down in grandpa & grandmas outhouse and I felt one step onto my left cheek. I was scared stiff, afraid to move. The spider walked slowly across from left to right and finally stepped off my right cheek. That is when I jumped up and headed for the house.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Mike !! that is a scarey thing to happen !!!

I remember that same outhouse ..

At one time I walked alot in my sleep
one morning after I got up I seen a dead snake in the trail .. Man I was so scared after that to go out there because I thought I had stepped on it in my sleep ..(the night before.) will never know but I still wonder if I had ...

(Grandma heard me crying so went to check it out and I could not get the door open .. )she told me the next morning what I had done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Stiff hair Reply with quote

I remember going to sand bay, north shore or any part of the shore for a swim with my mom and brothers ..
We would wash up in the lake because we did not have running water..It was so easy in the summer to take a bath .. No warming up water and taking a spit bath ...
When I would spend the night with char we would take a bath ..it was such a thrill for me to take a real tub bath !! One time char wanted to stay with me so she could take a spit bath . Little did she know what she was getting into .. But she thought it was fun !! Ha ha ....

I never had a bike when I was growng up so when I seen the beauitful green bike Leanna got for her birthday standing in the back room near the back door ..Oh how I was wishful ... When Char got her bike she would let me ride it ... She would be on the handle bars and I would peddle away ... Oh how fun !!
I did not have a bike but I had dolls clothes that money could not buy !!
My Grandma made all my clothes for my dolls and one year char and I got the same baby doll .. Leanna loved to play with all my doll clothes and blankets and I had no problem sharing with them ... In fact I let her play with all of them and I would have only a few for my self

Now about the stiff hair ...
After I was a mom I would sometimes wash my hair in the lake.. I tried just about anything to get home with clean hair and not dust ridden stiff hair .. I would put a towel on my head even when it was not wet to try to keep it fom getting dusty it did not work..my hair was very very long so that did not work real well so it was stiff all the time unless I just had a shower at home and did not go anywhere and besides I think I had the most dust ridden van .. Oh it was alful ... You could see the dust flying around the van ..needless to say that van had enough of me so I soon got something else to drive ... All dust ridden but not as bad as that van .. The best times of my life in the summer time when the kids were little I had a vw to drive .. Oh I loved that car .. I would have my kids and dog in back and slide around the corners or atlest that was what I was told I did ...heading out to snow beach or sand bay to play in the water with my kids ...
Soon it got a rust spot on the floor in back and my kids would watch the road and rocks fly by so it was time to put it in the junk heap in the woods .. Yes in the woods ..no one could see it from the road .. I will admit I did not like any old cars hanging around doing nothing anywhere ..but that is how it was ...

Life is good
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: You were rich! Reply with quote

You make it sound like you were poor, but in fact you were rich. Loving people all around you. I remember wishing that I could live with your family. I couldn't wait to get to the island to live the life you were living.

Remember those mothers working their "hind-in" off so all of us kids could enjoy a picnic at the beach. Do you remember having a picnic on the island out in Lake Thompon? You may have been too little to remember. How many mothers, now, would even think of going to all that trouble to create a happy day for everyone. They made grandpa row us all out there. They made potato salad in advance. They had to build a fire for the hot dogs. Getting back on the subject, the bugs drove use crazy, but we all had a great time that I will never forget.

We came in the ideal summer time and saw only the good. You were living there all year round. To me though, I thought you were living close to heaven.

Last edited by mikewhite on Sat May 12, 2007 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Ant Lions Reply with quote

It was from my cousin Dave that I learned about ant lions at the school on Bois Blanc. I have since passed that knowledge on to many kids who get a great fascination out of watching them eat the ants dropped into their trap.

You can still find them at the Pines School.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you could not have said it better ... You are so right ..
Guess I was just thinking about kid stuff last night and being I lived there year around I had the all around kids for my friends ..not just the summer island friends

I can remember Lani coming to the island when she was a kid and she was my friend .. Then years later she came back... She wanted to rent their cottage that they sold ..and she was able to do it for a summer and she was so happy just remembering the days long ago as a young girl on the island in the summer ... In that cottage..

Mike I sure do remember all the kids and the all those flies that would come in when we would slam that kit screen door a hundred times a day or more .. I remember Grandma washing the kit floor every night after we were in bed ..
And all those picnics at the beach ... Grandma and our Mothers would work hard cooking and making everything home made for a wonderful day at the beach .. But for me it was not just a day or too it was all summer long ...for many summers

I do remember when you and brothers and brother Dave would go fishing with Grandpa and I was always out there watching grandpa clean the fish along with you all..he would have something funny to say and we would all laugh .. I was trying to remember all of us going to that island .. But I am not sure ..all I can remember at this point is Grandpa paddling us out in the lake with sweat running off his forehead ...

I remember grandma in the kit each day with the flour flying ...she wanted to teach me to cook but to heck with that I wanted to be outside so I lived at the Dock and swam all day and as I walked up that trail to Grandmas that went under the apple tree I would make songs up how good the food smelled.

Yes all that love around me .. What other Grandparents would let their Granddaughter sleep in between them each night in one of those smaller beds they had in those years and they never said a peep about it ... The love I felt ...and I was getting pretty big at that time ..

We were glad to have you come visit ... I was the only girl cousin at that time .. I have a fun picture taken at the dock with me in a circle of my boy cousins all around me ...

I think after awhile each of you took turns to stay later then your folks ????

I loved our cozy home in the woods where mom was always cooking and keeping the house shine ..

And my Grandparents were just a skip and a hop though the woods , yes how lucky could I be ???

I think about the kids that spent the whole summers on the island because the mothers could stay that long ... When you really think about it .. There was just a few children that could spend that time compared to all the children in the U.S.A. ..How blessed they all were .... But I could stay all year !!! Wish you could have had at lest one year to stay the whole year ..
All my school years were spent at a one room school house except 2 years ..
When we left the island to keep our family together .as Dave was going to high school .it was so hard for me !! All those kids !! Then the next year we lived at the stone house and I was able to go to another one room school but this school was bigger ..there was about 28 kids of all ages but I was happy !! Another one room school !!! Then soon after we moved to Alaska .. We gave up the Great Lakes for huge beautiful mts that I loved and Alaska got in my blood and never left me .... Like the island .."if you ever slept on a island you are never the same"

Because of how I was raised my grandparents and my folks letting us get in bed with them ..that is what I let our Grand kids do .. I am now only taking care of Dakota right now and he is 4 ..he sleeps with us .( his dad works nights ).. I have grand kids with me all the time but I will say I am not the cook Grandma was .
L.Todd has cousty of Dakota so hes here more then he is with his mother .. His mother will not let him sleep with her ....
I am getting off track a bit here but not really ..things stick with us and we tend to do the same things as we get older ...
I think about all my Grand kids all 10 of them ..how they have not felt the island and the Great Lakes ... All that they are missing ... 4 live in the desert ... And the rest down here and I was the Grandma to the 4 for a long while before I moved here and I think How lucky they were and now the 6 kids have me down here ... They are a lot of kids that do not have Grandparents ..yes my head is filled with children each and every day .. Its hard to keep up with the house work and I wonder how Grandma did it .. I wonder how they both up with all of us at one time with no cross words ..
well I am going a bit long here but I can not forget how kind and loving my Grandparents were ..and how special it was and how blessed I was to live all year long on Bois Blanc Island ..

I remember Mike the tears that were flowing down your face as you stood with so much pride outside of the door at the funeral home after Grandpas Grandsons carried him in side ..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Switch to Memories Reply with quote

Switch to Island memories for my response.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Ant lions Reply with quote

For those who wonder what an ant lion is, click the link.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1609
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Midges Reply with quote

Midges arrived this past week. At first I thought they were swarms of black flies. With a closer look I could see the feather like antennas that give them away. These appear to be the non-biting kind. How many have seen the huge numbers of these making a power humming like sound? Here is a link to some facts.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2129.html

This article also talks about another island favorite, the no-see-um.
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have never heard OF midges but I have HEARD midges! I heard them last summer and assumed they were swarms of black flies, just like you said. I was actually in the cottage with all the windows open and started to become aware of a low-hum, akin to a electrical/powerline hum. I eventually walked outside and onto the beach where I saw nothing, but heard it loud! That is until I looked UP! B'zillions of 'em swarming at level with the tree-line and higher yet. It was kinda creepy!

Spoke with my aunt, who said that (as of last week) the black flies were out and about on the West End, but NOT biting. She said she had heard otherwise about the black flies toward the East End. How 'bout Sand Bay?
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Midges Reply with quote

We have run into the same thing at Sand Bay with zillions of the humming specks in the tree tops. It usually happens a little later in the summer. Many have watched huge clouds of them from the ferries as people come and go from the island.

I get around the island quite a bit and have noticed that the black flies always seem to be worst in the Pines. Maybe because of the wet areas between the beach terraces there, or maybe because of the warm blooded creatures that live there that the black flies love. Hardwood areas naturally will have less.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: mosquitoes Reply with quote

The mosquitoes have arrived just in time for Memorial Day! Enjoy.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Biting Flies have arrived for Summer Reply with quote

The biting flies have arrived just in time for school to let out and are waiting for the summer visitors. I was attacked today by a deer fly. There is a fly everyone calls a beach fly. It's real name is stable fly. They haven't gotten bad yet. Here is a link to "biting Flies".

http://www.forestpests.org/publichealth/bitingflies.html

I have read that deer flies are attracted by movement and the color blue. Some people put a large blue patch on their head with "tanglefoot" on it. It catches many of the flies before they get a chance to bite your head or neck. On the other hand, it DOES attract them.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: fly Reply with quote

Today I went to a very nice little thrift store and as I was leaving I seen a zip lock see though bag of water hanging from the door frame ..I asked her what that was about and she said to keep the flys out .. She said you may get a few flys but most of them see their self in the water and they look huge so it scares them off ..she put her hand on the other side of the bag to show me how huge her hand looked ..

She said that many places around town use this to keep the flys away ..
Some put the bag of water hanging from the door frame that goes into the kit.
I have not seen very many flies .. but they are around ..

I do not know if this would work on the island but maybe some one could give it a try .. I do know that the island flies are tough little buggers !! Smile
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: I am skeptical Reply with quote

I am sceptical about the idea of the fly seeing a larger image of himself in the zip lock bag. It may be that the fly would see another fly on the opposite side that was enlarged and scared him. The object enlarged must be on the opposite side when viewed. One fly can't do that.

It may be for some other reason that it works. Have you experimented with it?
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works then that is what counts, along with screens on doors and windows and many many other things.... Nasty little buggars! But, how do you hang a ziplok with water in it without it ripping, falling down and going splat?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, my favorite tactic is an electric fly swatter. A MUST HAVE item for BBI.

Perhaps you have seen them? About the size of a badminton racquet except they have closely spaced wires across where the strings would be. Takes two batteries. Push a button on the handle to charge it...

When you hit a mosquito or deerfly ... nice blue spark, POP! and a little puff of mushroom cloud smoke rises up from the ashes. When their buddies see that sort of electrocution... they flee for their lives in terror. I cleared my shed of 200 mosquitoes with one of these... in 2-3 minutes. Those huge horse flys? no problem. Just a bigger spark.

$5.00 in the catalogues, sporting goods and dime stores. Tons of these on ebay.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not sure what those little gnats by the zillions were. All I know is they were small enough to come right through the screens. One night I left the kitchen light on a screened window open. Two hours to clean up the dead gnat mess the next morning.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Larry and Missy should look at stocking these at the store... They would sell like Hot Cakes.. I have seen TD (Conis )in Action and it REALLY WORKS GREAT... I love the multi Zaps as you pass it through a cloud of bugs..

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry-Missy couldn't keep them in stock. When I was looking for a picture of one (on ebay) I saw they had wholesale deals where you could buy 15-32-64 in a box for under $2.00 each. Retail for $5-7 without hesitation.

There are several things I like about the electro swatter.
    NO MESS or squished insects. Clean. and Safe
    The air easily passes thru so the "bug vicitim" never feels it (an air rush) coming.
    You can take out swarms.
    They don't break or wear out. Batteries last for ever.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Satisfaction & spittle bugs Reply with quote

The sweet satisfaction felt as you hear and see those flies die. Wow.

There is one bug that might short circuit the electric fly swatter, so better stick to flies. That bug is the spittle bug. I have noticed that they are everywhere right now, but especially on this years crop of spotted knapweed. I always thought they actually spit to make the protective blob of bubbles, but it turns out that they use the other end of their bodies to produce it.

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1insects/spittlebug.html
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I am not a bug sadist-torturer (maybe excepting deer flies which drive me phyco). These electro swatters nuke em clean.

If this will kill a 1" horsefly or bald faced hornet? There's the test. Whatever a spittle bug is, bring em on! Spittle THIS! 1500 volts. ZAP!

Here's the 3000 volt version:

TDC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: