Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

FIRE ANTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: FIRE ANTS Reply with quote

The worse that has happend to me as far as bug bites here in Texas is Fire Ants ... and that is enough !! My ankles and feet were so swollen I could not walk ..they made me very sick ..

It was the summer of 05 and I decided to go looking to see what was on the market as far as land and homes as John and I wanted to move ...

I spent most of that summer in the car with my son John at times just driving around .. I also called realters and seen what they had ..
we also went to see if there was any land on tax sale or homes .. We just wanted to get the feel of things .. After I got all things in line then John came out and looked for him self .. well this one day John and I met with this older gent to see what he had for sale .. I had seen it from my car but did not walk the land ..so out we all got to walk around ..we seen this little nole so we all headed to see what we could see on the other side ...just as we got up on the nole all of a sudden I felt like a hundred ants were biting me .. I ran as fast as I could back to the car .wiping the ants off all the way ... I hurt !!!!..
I got some treatment and went to bed and could not walk for a week and I was swollen for over a week ..

Now the big question is:

Why would 2 Texans let a gal that has not been in Texas that long let a gal walk though long grass with no socks on and not much of a pair of shoes give her no warning ????
I guess I will never know ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Ants will actually travel several yards to attack what they think are potential invaders.
I was chatting with someone. They in their car, I standing next to the car. I knew of an ant hill about 20 feet away...you watch for them after awhile, and when you have kids.
Well, those little &%#$@*& came all the way over to get me! I swelled up just like you CF. After being bitten several times over the years, my body did not react as bad, but oh, that first time was a doozie!
They got ahold of Ben when he was a baby, toddling around. Sat right on an ant hill. He was with his daddy. Jim tore his diaper off and everything! They say that you should yank your pants right off if they climb up your leg!

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants are outside my area of expertise.... Around my place, out in the woods, I have HUGE anthill mounds, Some 3-4' in diameter and 1-2' tall with billions of ants. Are these fire ants?

I keep my distance, obviously, and leave them to do their thing. Neighbor across the road is less tolerant after his dog got into them. Goes out of his way to "nuke" the mounds. It doesn't do much good. Survivors move 10' away and a year later is a new mound.

I just looked up ant lion. Never seen or heard of them. First I thought they were like a pitcher plant? I could use some of these!

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to describe is a Formica exsectoides Allegheny mound ant. common.

mound: http://www.myrmecos.net/formicinae/ForExs1.html
ant: http://www.myrmecos.net/formicinae/ForExs2.html
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: ants Reply with quote

Conis, That was quite a picture of an ant mond and ant !!

Lisa,
so you know what I mean ... I would have taken off my pants if I had a long pair on as it was just too much to take .. I can still feel them !!

Boy do I look for them and stay away ... but did not know they would travel that far ...
John was out always spraying for them but never made any big deal out of them
It would be alful to have a baby get them in their diapers !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: p.s. Reply with quote

Now after thinking for a while on that ant hill or nest ,picture Conis sent in a site
I do believe my dad seen one just like it out way back of Vyes home in Michigan , he would take anyone out there to see it if they would go but I do not remember any fire ants in Michigan ... it could be any other ant hill I suppose ...
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the killer bees, experts say they are on their way north. The fire ant adapts well. As soon as they find something to kill it, it becomes immune and they have to find something else. Experts say that the fire ant may well already be in some of the northern states!

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Survivor Reply with quote

I noticed that one of the people in Survivor was carried out of the game on a backboard because he got sick from fire ant bites.

If I recall correctly they are small and rusty colored. Is that right? I was in California one time setting in a lawn chair on a cement patio in a back yard. I suddenly noticed that my left leg was "on fire". Hundreds of the little red things were swarming up my leg. They had come out of a crack in the cement and attacked me. That was my introduction to fire ants.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Fire Ants Reply with quote

I don't think fire ants (at least like the ones in Florida) are in Michigan. Cool

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Mike .. you got it .. that is a fire ant ...

yes ..they can make you very sick and you are lucky ...
I carry benadrl around with me all the time so if I am bitten I can take that as a first aid ...
yesterday we went to the Scarborough Renaissance Festival ..I sit down on a bench to get out of the sun and a gal and I started talking and then she asked me .. "did you check the ants before you sat down ??" When I heard ANT I jumped up real quick .. sure enough the bench was full just runnning around trying to get to someone to bite .. I had the gal check the back of my dress to see if any ants were on me .. none ..I just moved a bench up .I have .got to remember to check for those red ants !!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the weekend "nuking" them and only got bit once. All the rain we have had this year has brought them up from where they have been hiding underground. Morgan got into a mound of them a couple of months ago. My mom striped her down while my neighbor got a hose to wash them off. She only got bite about 10 times (lucky for the hundred that were probably on her). Morgan is very careful were she is walking now. Its a shame, I remember rolling around in the grass when I was a kid and not worrying about such things. Huge mounds pop up overnight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: fire ants Reply with quote

Troy
Your mom acted fast and did the right thing .. Glad Morgan did not get sick.

So far none of my Grankids have not got in any ant mounds in our back yard ..
We had quite a problem with spidow bites though .. not at our place so far ..it was when we lived in the other house and they could had have got bite at L.todds place .. but 3 years in a row we had to take atlest 3 kids a year to the E.R. ..L.Todd was the only adult so far that has been bite with the spidows ..we do not know what kind of spidow it was ..but it sure did cause a huge sore with alot of pain ..
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have spiders around the yard, some are very big and ugly, but no one has gotten bit. My mom has a problem with scorpions, but no was has gotten stung. I don't know why anyone ever settle here in Texas, its hot, humid, flat, full spiders, snakes, and all kinds of other nasty critters.

I got bit by a black widow when I lived in Colorado surprisingly. I found it dead in my bed. I stll have a scar on my stomach where it bit me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Troy Reply with quote

Troy ..

I find that Texas is rather nice ...

A good winter and I remember it was more humid in the lower Michigan then here ..

Anywhere you go is something we have to deal with ...

I do not see much of the critters really ..
but then I always look at the better side of things ...

Everyone has a place they really love because its home to them and we might think its alful ...

I am quite a bit younger then you and I have lived in diffent places so I say "been there and done that "

Would you like to live in Co ???? I do not see me ever going back to Michigan to live ...
You may not have found your spot yet ...
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would move back to Colorado in a minute if I could find steady work there. Kathy and I both loved it, we will most likely retire there.

I have only lived in 6 different states, but have been to most of them. Colorado feels like home to me.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: move Reply with quote

I did not recall you ever living in Co .. I guess I am getting more forgetful as I am sure your Mom told me ...

I understand your wife was born and raised in Texas ?

Co. is really a beautiful state ..

A few years ago I was traveling though Co.and was very dispointed because of all the growth but as anywhere if you get off the main hiway you then find the beauty ..
I have a friend that lives in a very small town in Co and its so beautiful all around her ...
Hopefully your dream will come true and you can move back there ...

I really like living here in Granbury ..maybe if I lived in a diffrent part of Texas I would not like it so well..
A friend of mine here in Granbury said she was raised in Houston and she said it is alful .. much more humid / hot ...weather ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: