Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Fishing on BBI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edkoss
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Fishing on BBI Reply with quote

I was hoping to get some insight on the fishing on and around the island. What to fish for on the inland lakes and if there is any good walleye or perch fishing around the perimeter of the island?

I am a new property owner and any info would be much appreciated.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inland lakes seem to be getting a little better, there are a little bit of everything in them. Two summers ago we caught, perch, catfish, bass, and pike at Twin lakes.
There use to be a great spot on the big lake, about 100 to 150 ft out from the gazebo, there are some old cribs and we would catch a lot of perch there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! When kayaking around last year I noticed the cribs were still there between the old township dock and the gazebo.. Good luck fishing! Cool
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: fishing Reply with quote

Hi the three lakes on bob-lo were stocked with walleye in the early 90's and need to be restocked again. I wish someone would take the lead on that and do it. I got a lot of donations to do that the first time but I don't know the people over there like I did. But I'm quite sure that you could get a lot of donations to do it.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to see restocking with perch and walleye. BUT.

Not to be a downer here... Why attract and feed the cormorants?

It seems like there are far fewer of them this year due to management efforts. FINALLY. We can live with a few. But not with them stripping the lakes like they did when their numbers were out of control and exploding.

Someone from Cedarville posted (not long ago) that perch numbers were actually increasing...

So I guess the question is: Has anyone seen Cormorants on the inland lakes THIS YEAR? I saw a couple flying over... none on Lake Thompson.

Also a good sign are more Loons and Mergansers (also fish eaters) which were being driven out by cormorants (by lack of feed).

Maybe things are getting back into balance. Maybe restocking the lakes is now worth doing?

C
IslandGuy
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the cormorants go on the inland lakes I have never seen more than a couple at a time out there. The biggest problem with those lakes is they get so warm and are so shallow. If you go into any bay in Twins the muck is nearly at the surface of the water. So as far as the cormorants go, I think that is the least of the lakes fish problems. You dont have catfish in these lakes either, they are bullhead, catfish get huge!

With the restocking, that would be a great thing. I would have been nice to see the Walleye get more populated then they did. You only ever hear of a few people that catch them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they need to be stocked with 6" instead of the minnows they have a much better chance of making it. the dnr said that they need to be stocked 3 yrs in a row and we just did it once. and pumping out the muck is also a good idea. I did have us on a state list for lakes to be pumped when I was supervissor but I don't know what ever happened about that eather. I do know that the state used to pump 1-2 lakes a year. I also know Bill Christ from black lake area was doing that and he had all the equipment to do it.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being up to speed in the finer points of fish planting...

Seems to me that Thompson and Mary are both deeper with less mucky bottom? Better prospects? When they stocked before, did they stock all the lakes or Just Mary? I recall Thompson once had fair perch fishing?

I can't recall the name of the Lake In Cheboygan County. Maybe 10 years ago? DNR kept stocking it... stocking it... stocking it. Back to the balance problem again. Full of stunted panfish and 12" pike and what would be considered "junk" fish (undesirable fishing fodder). Finally they nuked the lake. (as in killed off all the overpopulated-inbred/stunted fish) and basically started over with feed minnows on up. I can't remember if they planted walleye or trout but I heard it has been a huge success. And probably cost a bunch of money, too.

DNR is with budget problems. Fish stocking probably isn't a high priority these days. But for some reason the cost of fishing licenses keeps going up?

C
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We paid for our own fish stocking and all three lakes had fish stocked waleye just calls for somegravel bottom for reproduction all the lakes has a lot of gravel except mary's Pumping the mud out is most of the problem.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how deep each of the inland lakes are? Both their average depth and what and about where they are deepest? Is there anything official on that anywhere?
IslandGuy
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a hard bottom in the lakes, I think the deepest spot in any of the lakes is in Thompson near the Island which is about 12 -14 feet. All the lakes are very shallow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jordan Hartman
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten out on the inland lakes this year, and if they have what the fishing is like? also has anyone heard of rebuliding the dock on Mary's lake?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: