Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

50 years later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Dunning
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: 50 years later Reply with quote

This August I visited the Island for the first time in exactly 50 years. It was a very moving experience to see Bois Blanc from across the Strait as the Plaunts' ferry moved out of the Cheboygan River. I had forgotten how big the Island is...a long green line across the deep blue water of the Strait.

I was amazed at how little it has changed. Sure, there now are phones and electricity and Hawk's Landing...and the dock has been moved, but it is still the sleepy relaxing wonderful place it always was. In the 1940s and 50s, we summered on the Island in the cottage that my grandfather built just about 100 years ago. I was 16 the last time we came to the Island and when I retired last year, I decided I definitely needed to make another visit. Chris and Bruce McAfee invited me to stay with them and they were terrific hosts.

I was amazed how many people remembered the Dunning family even though we sold our cottage in the 1960s. The Schoenbergs own it now, the second cottage west of the historical society, and though they weren't there at the time of my visit, I have had some wonderful e-mail exchanges with them.

I left some Island-related items with the historical society, some memorabilia that my father had kept for many years.

I rode out to the west end with Ray Plaunt as he delivered the mail. It was a terrific experience. Ray is certainly a rich lode of Island lore.

I'm looking forward to getting back to the Island again in the coming years.

Even after 50 years away, the Island still has a hold on me!
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I grew up in the house next door, to the east, of the Dunning cottage. The people that owned the Dunning cottage then was Ernie and Adelle Holeman. Your parents must have sold it to the Holemans. They were great people and were great to us kids. My family's sir name is Gahn. My grandfather was Gene Babcock. Maybe you knew of him? My parents bought our house in 1955 or '56. Welcome back to the island, and this site.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: island Reply with quote

Clover ..

Who did your parents buy their house from ????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everet Jewell, aka Biff.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: BOAT Reply with quote

Was it Everet Jewell that ran a boat to and from the island ??
If not do you remember Clover who it was .. and what they called the boat ??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story. Those of us who weren't able to be on the Island 50 years ago appreciate your perspective and can learn something from the lack of change that has taken place in that time. I was 2 years old when my folks first brought me there in 1973.

I'm glad you were able to visit the Island again, after so long. It would be great to meet you one day and listen to more stories of what you remember from your first visits.

Dan
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Connie, I think he did run a boat back and forth but I don't know the name of it.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: boat Reply with quote

Clover

thanks for the info ..

I am trying to remember the boats that ran to the island and when ..

kevin do you remember them ??? and the years they ran ?? including yours ....
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat was the Bois 1 & 11 and they ran in the 50's. The ones that ran it was Tom Jewell and louie Robarge. Howard Smith had a boat and ran it to the island I don't know the dates maybe early 30's My Dad ran the Jane L in the lates 30's to I believe it was tell 41 when he went to war maybe 42. He had the first boat that would haul a car. And where Charlie Plaunt fit in there I don't know.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: boat Reply with quote

thanks kevin for answers to my questions..
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: BOAT Reply with quote

Kevin ...
your dad had the mail contract too .. as I recall ..

guess plaunts got it after that ?? I do not think Mr. Plaunt ever had it .........
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ada M was a US mail carrier, piloted by Charles Plaunt. I actually think the mail has been shared by all the ferry's. I remember it being on every on of the Plaunt's boats in my lifetime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: boat Reply with quote

Troy thanks for your input ..

I knew Ray always had the mail contract
but did not know that his dad had it too ..

This brings up some questions ....
Ray was raised on the island ? Was he ever old enough when his Dad had the mail run to help his Dad ?? I wonder if Ray started to run a boat right after his dad quit ?? and did Ray have the contract then or was it after Glenn had it ..?
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray worked on the Ada M and the Nora with his dad. The rest I am not sure about, but if I had to guess, Plaunt's have either had it by themselves or shared it at any given time. Maybe Kevin can help out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Boats Reply with quote

I am so glad that the Plaunts finally put the History of the boats and etc in their site .. I have been waiting a long time for that ...

Wish I could have been there for the Plaunts Party Too ..

I remember alot of the boats and rode on many but was too young to put the time frame together ...
jarrett rodriguez
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island is a buitful place to be. I havent been there in many years. I use to live there with my dad Larry Craft. He owned The Boat House. I loved liven there, it's a relaxing place to be o sirens and city noise. My kids love it there too. 4-wheeling and camping out in my moms (Kathy Craft) back yard. I shure cant wait to get back there. As soon as my wife gets better we plan a trip to the island hopefull mom can come too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: