Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

BBI Museum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalby/Ruge
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: BBI Museum Reply with quote

I heard that there was a BBI Museum. Would like to know what days and hours it is open. Thanks Wendy
Northbound
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that might answer your questions.

http://www.hsofmich.org/pteauxpins/
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back from a wonderful week on the island Laughing We were on our way to Fun Day and stopped at the museum, learned alot. neat place. So we go back to the cabin later and find this horse collar or harness/yoke pretty cool! What do you think the circumstances surrounding this mystery are? Hum.... Rolling Eyes
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I put the picture in my album lol
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Horse Harness. Reply with quote

Did you find it in the dirt or was it planted by human jokers? Hmm, perhaps there's an Amish innuendo there, Bruce. After all, you follow horses around almost daily, Grabill boy.
After being on Bois Blanc for the first time last Thursday maybe a buckboard might be more suiting on Bois Blanc's skinny roads. In any case Bois Blanc was horse drawn too, not so long ago.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Horse tack Reply with quote

Bruce, after looking at your picture, I would say that you have found some very old stuff. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the parts have been pounded out by a blacksmith. If that is the case, it may have been made locally by one of the many blacksmiths in this area that were needed before any major shipping began in this area.

If is was locally made, it predates the civil war. Have you found any initials on it? People back then would mark their important things with their initials.

The army rarely used horsepower when they had so much manpower. The locals, who made money by contracting with the government, had small horses, possibly ponies, that they used to haul lumber and firewood.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be from when they logged on the Island. Geoff found a horse shoe on the trail to your place from our house after they graded , it worked it's way out of the ground and it is hand forged. So perhaps you willl find more artifacts as time goes on. He also has found pottery shards when especially large trees have blown-down in the same area!
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone Hey I heard the museum was doing something this weekend like some of the folks that have been on the island for a long time telling stories or something like that. Anyone hear anything! I also found a small horse shoe a couple years ago I guess I'll see if the museum wants that stuff.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce - There was an ice cream social, antique car show and book sale at the museum yesterday from 2 p.m to 4 p.m.. It was very nice with lots of old cars. There is going to be a history night at the Wagner room on July 27th at 7:30 p.m.. The next history night will be on August 17th, 7:30 p.m. at the Coast Guard Chapel. Hope this helps you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: