Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

April 07 Kayak Tour Photo Albums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: April 07 Kayak Tour Photo Albums Reply with quote

This past April 27, 28, 29, and 30 I kayaked the four large lakes on BBI. At this time of year, the water is at its highest level thus making passage close to the shorelines or in shallow water possible. Tamarack trees and deciduous trees are not showing their leaves at this early date.

I did not pass a single car going to the lakes nor did I see another boater on the lakes on any of the four days.

These photos simply capture the unaltered, natural beauty, of these liquid jewels and some of the land change that has taken place over the years.

To view these tours, click on the ink at the bottom. Once you are at the site, simply choose an album and click on the title. Double click on the first picture in an album. The picture will enlarge. At the bottom of the picture are nine icons. Click on the fourth one and this will show the entire album as a slideshow.

Enjoy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cabinfool
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: lakes Reply with quote

The pictures were grand !!

thanks for sharing your trip with us !!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

A kayak gets those shots down low like you were standing in the water. The reflection shots are really nice.

I suppose there are those who would like to clean up all that "trash" that has collected along the lake edges. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mikewhite on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! Took me a while to figure out how to get the slide show working. I am going to take a second look!

I used to have a fleet of canoes. Down to one, an old town wood and Canvas 17'er I have had since I was 15. Keeping it for sentimental reasons. I just started (converted to) Kayaking this summer and am absolutely HOOKED!

If you want to really see the pristene beauty of BBIs inland lakes, this is the way to go. Get close to shore in shallow water, study the shoreline and bottom. See wildlife up close and undisturbed. Not strenuous and can cover a lot of water in a short time if you need to. Peaceful, quiet and relaxing sum it up.

So far, Thompson is my favorite. All the little bays and nooks to explore. Few realize how large Thompson actually is since you can see so little from the landing. Get out in the middle and look down the length of the lake... WOW! 280 acres, 4.3 miles of shoreline.

Maybe one last expedition this fall.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some great pictures of the docks, they look pretty good. Those old dead cedar trees laying over the lake need to be cleaned up though. Your pictures show how much work there is to be done out there. Some of the clearnings have those dead birch trees that need to come out also. Those old dead cedars are very dangerous according to the DNR. If a fire ever got started in them it would take the whole island. Need to clean the dead cedars up.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slide show is vantastic. All of the lakes look so peaceful. I know the silence must be so relaxing. Nice too! Your pictures of the under water shots are so pretty. Definitly not our every day photo's. The water is so clear. Great job............ thumbs_up!
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Webshots site Reply with quote

I'm glad the pics are being appreciated. The photos are not great...the wild scenery is. Every year, more and more of these undisturbed shorelines disappear. Perhaps they can be saved if we have the vision to preserve them.

Also, I assume that perhaps many islanders have never casually kayaked the edges and this would be a way for all, islanders, kayakers, etc. to see them. They are gems that belong to ALL U.S. citizens.

Thanks and enjoy.
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks so much for posting those photos. It's been many years since I've been to our old place on Lake Mary and it was a real pleasure to look through all those pictures of the lake and shore. It brought back a lot of memories.

I now have your picture of the old A-frame on Lake Mary as my desktop background!

- Craig
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pix John! Thanks for sharing! Jeff
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Trash Reply with quote

One mans trash is many people's treasure! Wink
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So True So True !!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What trash are we speaking of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: