Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

volunteer Editoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryan holbern
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: volunteer Editoring Reply with quote

For quite some time I've downloaded pictures that I like off this site that were posted here and there in public forums.
Without meaning to disrespect anyone, I used those pics on a website in what I consider, a fun manner.
However, one of the photographers is insistent that any photos that I use (taken by that artist) should have the photographers copyright and what-all included. I wasn't and don't plan to make any money from displaying anyones images; They are for a theme that I created without any copyrights in mind for myself or anyone else.
I removed any and all photos that were borrowed from this website because I'm not being paid for advertising anyone's work.
And I don't, and never do intend any direspect to any of you and if you have photos concerning the island that you would consider classics from any period, including the present, I would appreciate seeing them.
I did amend a typo from my web page and if that person will send me an invoice for the editorial services I will be glad to turn it in to my non-profit committee.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bryan.. I think for a few what you do is just fine and they don't mind.. Cool For me, I would hope to get permission first.. A simple request is respectful and makes me more willing.. I share here because the members here have common interests and love for the Island.. But my business is photography and I hope to make some profit with it.. I do donate images frequently..

I understand the internet world is all about take and use and whatever to get what an individual wants but I was raised up to respect others and expect the same in return.. I would want to give credit to someone who provides something for me.. At least thank them, and if it were in my power more..

Thank you for respecting me.. Very Happy
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bryan, and welcome. Getting permission for the use of photos, music, written material, etc. is pretty standard procedure. It doesn't matter whether you intend to use the material for profit or otherwise, particularly if you are re-distributing it on the Web. Once it's published elsewhere, the originator loses control over how it will be used, and rights have been violated.

If all the photographer wanted from you was an attribution, copyright mark, etc. (and no $$) for the use of those images, then I'd say it was a pretty generous offer.

Good luck with your site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: