Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

deer season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Balancing Act Reply with quote

Natures balancing act played out in a small land area. Populations can crash or spike like what you see on a Dow Jones chart.

Did anybody notice how the mouse population went wild this past summer? When the ice bridge forms there will be more crossings by coyotes then people. Their population will not be down for long. They will help control the mouse population. They will also find those young deer in abundance and chase the weak ones until they literally eat them alive, as has been observed by many.

We who live close to nature on BBI, get to observe these things close up. Most people elsewhere do not notice natures balancing act like we do.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Bucks Reply with quote

Asked Curt how many deer had been taken this year and his reply was ninty something. I believe that is higher then past years. Do I recall correctly?
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MIKE
I Think last year 67 deer were taken. This was a good season, most hunters had a good hunt. If we have another easy winter and spring we may have reached the Islands carrying capacity. The summer range seems fair but there is not much good food in the winter.
Things must have been good lately ,there were some nice looking bucks taken.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: populations Reply with quote

As I see it, there are three primary factors that control the deer population on BBI. They are People, Coyotes and Weather. Disease is a minor thing here so far. I have seen liver flukes in the deer here.

Back in the 1950's and earlier, very few outside hunters came to BBI, and the coyotes were rare. There were a lot of deer by the 1950's. Remember that this was once made a 'Deer Park' by the state because of a lack of deer way back in the 1880's. They actually brought deer in to get a population started. I don't know why it was so low at that time.

The DNR changed everthing for the local hunters in the 1950's. The people and the coyotes increased, the deer population decreased, and that is how it is today.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIKE

Ihave been coming to the Island since 1945, and hunting deer from 1962 on. I have seen most of the changes you have. The three things you mention do affect deer numbers; however, I think food is the main concern. in. Just look at the exclorsures . The whole Island was once covered with ground hemlock.Ample food is the most important factor in deer numbers and health.
As you know just because something is green dosnt mean it is good deer food.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Muzzle loading season Reply with quote

Hi! : ) ... I had planned a weekend trip from the 6th thru the 10th, but as kurt will not be running after the 6th I have set my sites on a 8th thru the 12th trip. I would fly in and get a ride from local freindlies : ) Does anyone have a vehicle I could rent for 4 days? I would be happy with quad, snowmobile, truck or any kind of 4 wheel drive. I know it's a great deal to ask, but have to try. I have been looking forward to this for months. I will still come, but mobility beyound walking would be welcomed luxury.
I also beleive food is close to the top of the list for deer #'s but all mentioned are relative factors. .... I encourage emergency feeding programs when nesc. ..... Mike (Hazzy)
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

Can it be agreed that the amount of food generated each summer varies little? A little less in dry summers maybe? Maybe a little more in wet warm summers? It would be a fixed amount that varies a little one way or the other depending on the weather. This summer I was everywhere and it was dry, but vegetation grew, maybe better then some cool wet summers. It appears that the island can sustain a lot of deer in the summer, and their diet is supplemented by the bait put out in the fall. Most deer shot in the fall are full of fat, so I would say that there is no summer or fall food problem.

Winter is the killer. What do deer eat in the winter? Don't deer usually yard up in the cedars? BBI has a lot of that. I have to go, I'll return to this subject.

I just watched Survivor and it reminds me of the deer in Northern Michigan in winter. They do not get enough food to maintain body weight. This is the way it is.

At first the snow is not deep and the deer can paw though to get stuff on the ground. They even eat roots. At all times they eat buds off popler and striped maple, etc.

When snow gets deep, it takes more enegy to get to where the food is at then what they gain by eating it, and they cope by yarding up to conserve energy. There can be plenty of food but they can't maintain weight by going to it. The last few years the weather has allowed the deer to get to the available winter food burning less calories in the effort.

From watching deer feed on cedar I think that deer like it more than some people will admit. If one is blown over even when there is little or no snow, they will browse on it. I suppose it is not their favorite, but it is available. When the snow gets deep, I believe that it becomes the main food for those deer yarded up because it becomes available. When the deer are yarded a big snow storm actually helps the deer by raising them up a few inches more and if lucky toppling over a few cedar trees. The opposite happens in the spring as they are lowered back down to ground level and can't reach to where they had been browsing earlier.

Cold weather makes the deer burn their reserves of energy up faster, so a warm winter helps. The freeze thaw cycle helps the coyotes get the weak ones because it creates the crust for the coyotes to run on whereas the deer are slowed down.

So I think weather trumps food.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hit on some history with the deer. There was a doe season put on in the late 60's and by 75 was the last year of the doe season there were 13 deer killed on bbi bow and riffle. Then it became bucks only again and the deer herd went up. The eighties was great hunting with lots of deer and lots of food. The deer had lots of fat in them. We were carring off record number of deer on the boats. (Nice Bucks) Then late eighties not sure the year they put on another doe season. The herd has gone down a lot. There is still a lot of food for the deer. The winters have even got milder. The deer herd has gone down a lot. A lot less hunters then used to be. Becaus so few deer. The only thin that changes a lot is long term doe season. The food stays the same the winters have even got milder The coyotes come and go. The fact is we have a lot less deer then we had in the eighties.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

If I remember right the year that they put doe season back on was the same year or the year after the Island had a very large amount of snow, 5 to 7 feet. A lot of the deer died because the couldn't move around. There where about 25 found by rocky road alone, and only a few 100 yards from where some people where feeding them.
I also didn't see or here the coyotes this year, that will also help.

Tony Babcock
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyotes... After i shot my buck, my friend shot another buck in the same spot within an hour. He waited with the deer while i went back to camp for a deer cart. He told me he had 8 coyotes pacing back and forth and surrounding him within 30 yards, with him standing guard. They continued to pursue us until 11:00 at night when we finally got the deer out of the swamp.

Never seen them that close and personal before...
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo! Shocked Scary... I know the deer round here LOVE the cedar.. Will push you out of the way to get it! Lots of baby poplar to chew on after our big cut last year.. We didn't figure we would supplement this year because of it but since it has snowed our usual early birds have been tappin on the back door.. I think Randy is going to break down here soon and go git 'em some corn.. Spoiled deer is what we have! LOL!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would tend to agree: Winter snow depth has much more to do with survival. Especially in northern areas. Deer become weakened. Once the spring freeze thatw cycle begins, coyotes take out even more. With weakened does, fawn survival suffers as well.

I can recall back in the late 70's early 80's when we were getting lots of snow and brutally cold temps (mid state). Finding 30-50 carcasses in a cedar swamp, yarded up in there and everything browsed up as high as they could reach until they simply ran out.

Just a thought: I realize that many feed deer through the winter on the island which I am sure is a major assist in survival. I wonder about something. The BBI deer seem quite complacent toward humans as compared to our wary farm deer mid state. Maybe because of trust gained through feeding and human contact with so few on the island during the winter? There have been instances where I have had to stop for deer in the road, get out and shoo them off to the side... where they stand watching curiously.

I wonder how this relative "tameness" affects deer take through hunting seasons? No opinions, just a question.

From the "feel" of things, I think we may be up for a more "normal" winter this year, colder and more snow than last 2-4 yrs. The "el-nino" thing in the pacific ocean is apparantly not active... that force influencing the jet stream and contributing to milder winters... Or something like that?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Calendars Reply with quote

I have noted that the deer disappear at hunting time. You do not find them being tame. The only thing I can think of to cause this sudden change in behavior it that the deer must have hunting season marked on their calendars. Wink
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: hunt Reply with quote

Thanks mike for telling us what still hunting is ...

I should have known that with all the hunters in our family ..

sounds like the way to go ... sounds fun,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: