Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you had a hovercraft you could slide right across there. You would be in Cheboygan in minutes. It would also be the best way to check the ice.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Rough Reply with quote

The ice is rough and sharp looking on this side. It might tear out the bags that are around the bottom of the machine. I know they can be replaced, but it would be a hassle.

I saw a movie once about a steel boat pushed by twin props. It had skids on the bottom and roller wheels on the bottom front. It was enclosed to keep warm. It could float because it was a boat, but when you came to the edge of the ice, it was able to climb up onto that ice. the thrust of the twin engines was enough that, I think it possible, that it could even be pushed through dirt. That is what I would want! I suppose though that if it did get stuck, it would be really stuck.
BIG K
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i saw the same thing Mike. It was on a island that thay used it to take the kids back forth to school. The ice would never make well so that was the perfect craft it had the power to get in and out of the ice I always thought it would be good if the ice wasn't to rough. This craft had good speed and could carry 5 or 6 people that would ride on benches. Idon't remember the power supply but it was big. I saw it 6 or 7 years ago
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: That's it. Reply with quote

Your right. It was in the Apostle Islands. They used it to take kids to school and deliver mail during the winter. I wonder if they still do that?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject!

I perused the "airboat ferry" briefly on google and didn't come up with much. I did find a slew of custom manufacturers, making airboats for dozens of applications including winter use/rescue on both ice and water. None were enclosed.

It would take a tremendous amount of power to lift a full airboat out of water and on to the ice. Im sure it is doable with enough horsepower.

Something for the year rounders to consider? Transportation when the ice is iffy and an express ride on a calm day in the summer? I could see rough/broken ice being a problem.

Anyone who has ever ridden in an airboat knows how profoundly loud they are. About like an airplane The bigger ones, such as used in the Everglades have enough power to move 10 people at 50mph and move across dirt or anything in their way.

Fun Stuff!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Apostle Air Boat Reply with quote

The Apostle Island airboat looked like it had two large aircraft engines direct driving the props. People were shielded from the noise and wind made by the props, but I guess that the sound of the hull grinding along was very loud. It was a Jon boat style hull. The wheels on the front were front landing gear off of airplanes. They were spring loaded and stuck out at about a 45 degree angle.

The alligator tour boat that I have gone on used old [Pontiac?]automotive V8's with headers. The engine set down low and a chain drive runs the prop that is mounted up higher. I think they were aluminum hulled.

I've looked into this before and recall seeing airboats being driven around big fields in deep snow.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hovercraft are much better and the skirts takes a lot to tear them anymore, You could almost hit them with an axe and they won't do anything. The bags are serperate and you can get some real tuff material if one does get distroyed they only cost about 10-15 bucks at your local canvas shop. Ruff ice doesn't hurt the bags at all. The old style bags sand was the worse thing on them.
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Ice Conditions 2008 Reply with quote

Check out the Sharing Album.........I just posted 5 pictures showing 1950's Winter Island Transportation
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I see Ray Plaunt's gas pump was setting beside his driveway when these pictures were taken. I do believe that is the sled setting on the bottom of the lake know. Is that right?
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
How do I see the pictures. When I go there I don't see them.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - if that is indeed Ray's boat, which I think it is, It is on the bottom - He has quite a story to go with it - I can't remember who was with him, but they would go so far with the "airboat" and then walk ahead with an ice spud and check the ice - When they got out so far, they heard a noise behind them and looked around and the airboat was gone - A hole between them and shore. Ray thought he found it once with his sonar, but when he went back again later, he never could find it. He still had that when I first started coming up in 1970
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... One spooky looking ice taxi!

High center of gravity? No protection between the passengers and the prop? Hang on to you hat... we going for a ride!

Seems like snow mobiles came around about mid 60's? and firly common by late 60's. Recall my neighbor having on of the first SkiDoo 18hp single cyl. Pull start with a top end of around 20mph. Take three men to start it if it was in the mood. And then he upgraded to a twin cyl MotoSki that would hit 50. That was as mean as it got!

Way back when I was a kid, many around the lake had "ice yachts" (iceboats with sails). Now THATS a blast! Especially in late winter when the ice thaws and freezes back to glass. Breezy days in March... MAN you can get rippin. 50-70 with no sound other than the blades cuttin' ice. We didn't know how much fun we were having! Tighten the sail and get that sucker up on two skates? Hair stand straight up! And over we went, more than once. Brushed off, stand it up and right back at it! Great times!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures of the air sled or what we used to call a snow bug is Ray's old one. The one that he lost is not the same one. The one that he lost was a small red one. I remember this one also. BBIBABS can fill you in on the story he was with him when they lost the air sled.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - The red one is the one I remember - I never knew there was 2 of them - Somewhere I have a picture of the red one, If I can find it, I'll post a picture of it
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out ebay item #150211142280. Looks like the ultimate hovercraft for winter.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Some assembly required? I am almost ready to order.

Actually... wait a minute.... Think I'll hold back and wait until some other sucker forks out $41k plus shipping to have a prototype built.

Show me a picture of a real one. Lets see some video!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you got the wind we had the night before - How did the ice in the straits hold up??
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Ron How did the ice make out Mike. This below zero weather should help.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Hello everyone! : ) Reply with quote

I'm waiting with fingers crossed Razz Thank's for all the info & a special Thank's to Mike White, for the time and efforts to share the information with us all. .... MIKE "Hazzy" Smile
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazy you should be here when the time is right to help. Remember the big guys go first.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Ice after the big Blow! Reply with quote

No electicity until 1pm today.

The big blow we just had shoved the ice from west to east down through the channel leaving a mess. There is a huge pile up of ice over near Point Nipigon. If you drive in there and walk over to the big bluff, you should be able to see that, and a real good view of THE BIG MESS.

Also, there are many open places. Random ponds of open water. It looks like the ripped up ice was around 6 inches thick.

We must wait.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: What Ice? Reply with quote

This morning the channel has opened right up. Much of the jumbled ice I saw yesterday has melted away.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think hardly any of it melted away in just 2 days............it broke up and blew away!!!!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: It is melting to. Reply with quote

Yes, the east wind today is carrying away the mess. But, it also appears to be melting. I wonder if the big blow stirred up the lake so much that it has brought up some of the water from deep down in the lake, and that water is a little warmer then what was at the surface.

It is going away just like it was April.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you should have a hovercraft. You could have crossed anytime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: