Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lumber Road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Lumber Road Reply with quote

Thanks MIKE. Did the lumber road follow the same route as the Sandbay RR. grade? I have walked the grade across the Island on the old grade.It was several years ago,we picked up the grade near the gravel pit by the airport and fallowed to the north side. We come out on a fairly high spot where some cutting had recently been done. Did the lumber road go this same route? If not where did it go?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Lumber Road Reply with quote

Lumber road was named that because the US Army hauled lumber down it to the shore of Sand Bay. I made lumber bold because logs were not hauled down the road. It is the first named road on BBI. It was there 100 years before the railroad was built.

Imagine no county roads. Now think of a two track that begins at the base of Sand Bay and goes inland in the same place Sand Bay Road is today. Where the curve is at now, there was no county road, the two track just continued staight inland where the future county road is now located. Lumber road then turned left and followed the same track that is there today back through where a future field (Sand Bay Farm) would someday be. It follows high ground easterly and is still there.

Follow that trail. You will come to a big rectangular shaped hole on your left. That hole is a military saw pit used to make the lumber.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: LUMBER ROAD Reply with quote

Mike Thanks for the info. I have seen the pit you have written about,but woud not of known what it was without your input.Looks like someone has used it for a dump. THIS IS TO BAD. It must have been a crummy job to be the bottom man. Black flies saw dust and sweat, life must have been good.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the trail cover primarily state land? I've always been eager to explore more of the Island's interior - the large, mostly vacant (?) area west of Twin Lakes, from Sand Bay or the landing field up to the north shore - but have hesitated, not wanting to inadvertently trespass on private property. There are lots of unmarked trails that venture off the main road, but am not inclined to explore them without knowing for sure that I'm not invading someone's private drive. I suspect a lot of the land is low and not easily traversed. The old RR path would be interesting to walk.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Lumber Road Reply with quote

Veva. Ever heard the term - it's the pits? Also - pitman arm?

Dan. The area we have been talking about is in Bob-Lo Gardens 4th Addition. It is almost entirely reverted to the state. the trail continues on till you come to an open meadow at a beaver dam. Follow the edge around and the road continues and becomes Beaver Dam Rd. People have been taking ORV's through for a few years.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - a few summers ago there was an organized hike that left the community building and went back through that area, through a large meadow and then to the western edge of Twin Lakes. It was interesting. and part of the island I had not seen before. I don't know how often those hikes take place or even who organized it, but it might be worth asking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: