Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

This is me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: This is me! Reply with quote

I first came to the Island when I was a baby.(1965) I have been there almost every summer, except the years when I lived in Texas. But I found my way up a few times in those years. My Grandma and Grandpa are Ila and Fay Calkins. They lived in the cabin across the road from the school, where my bro Al currently lives. My Grandma and Grandpa lived at one point on the Island, my Grandma used to cook for the hunters. They moved to Kalkaska, where my parents live now. Both G'ma and G'pa are deceased, my Grandma has a book of poetry mostly about the Island. I have some more relatives up there.....my other bro Mike(Sand Bay), his wife Lani and their son Mike. Lani is the teacher on the Island. My brother Al is the postmaster and currently Mike lives and works in Cheboygan, while his son goes to high school.
We are related to the Babcocks, and I can still remember Tony riding his bike off the old dock for fun, then haulin' it back with the rope he tied around it.
Then there are the Twiggs, Aunt Connie and Uncle Lynn and their clan.
I take alot of pics and currently have them for sale at Hawk's.
My sister Susie and I were recently up there Labor Day Weekend. We had fun but too short a visit as always. I keep telling Curt on the boat I don't want to leave. He just keeps threatening me with leaving me on the Bouy or throwing me over as he has done forever, and his Dad did before him.
There is nothing like it, and never will be. There is something about this Island....
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI - I'm missing the island too - but not for long - The "Iowa Connection " leaving tonight and some of us will be going over on the 12:30 boat and some on the 4:00 boat friday - I know most of the people you have been talking about. We stay at the Spray camp, down by the bar on Rocky Road (can't imagine why it's called that!!)
Hope to see mike and Lani - after the ordeal she went though this summer.
I don't know if many of you know Biff Jewel - we will probably be bringing are Guitars over along and make a little music. Maybe we'll see some of you up there.
C Ya.........Ron
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how I wish!! Are you talking about the Spray cabin? I knew Ted Spray. They used the cabin at hunting season.... It's on Rocky but I can't remember which one... Have an excellent time!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Spray Camp Reply with quote

That's the same camp - Ted will be over with us - Ever since he had a collision years abo with Big Bob Glenn, we always called him Teddy Andretti!!
Maybe we'll meet you some time - I'll probably be back in november - Just gettin' ready to head out the door and head north " to the rock"
C Ya........Ron
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

My Dad calls it the Rock too! How interesting?
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: The "Rock" Reply with quote

Well, we made it back to Iowa - Nothin's changed much except Barbie has sold the Bar - So Ted and I tried to help her with inventory reduction!!
Not sure how the new owner will be yet - time will tell -
hard to believe, but the trees have turned more in Iowa than they have up nort'
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good time.... I knew about the bar getting sold. Barb sure did bring it around since Sponge...Hope the new owner is as ambitious. Sure do enjoy the ambiance (sp?). Did you run into Lani? She was doing quite well. Our little walking miracle! How's Ted? It's been quite a few years since I've seen him. Back when I was living in Cheboygan and hanging around with Little Bit and his wife Barb. Just heard recently they were divorced.... I want to get up there this winter for a stay. It's my favorite season on the Island.. Very Happy One winter Sponge had a back door policy for the keepers of the woodstove while he spent some time in Boyne. We checked on the woodstove at the bar, kept track of consumption (bar tab) and played shuffleboard with our gloves on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: