Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

what are you most excited about??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: what are you most excited about?? Reply with quote

This winter has been particularly gloomy and I think we are all looking forward to spending as much time as possible on our lovely island. What are you MOST excited about:

A. That moment when the boat pulls away from the dock in Cheboygan, you can relax and finally know that you are going home

B. Walking into your cottage for the first time after this dreary winter and NOT caring that there are little mouse poops in your drawers, no wood to start a fire and you’ve forgotten to bring clean socks.

C. Curling up in your favorite spot with a blanket wrapped around you while enjoying the first cup of coffee of the day

D. Sitting on your porch with all your loved ones and planning the day ahead

E. Going to the bar and finding that West End Piper AND Dan are playing.

F. Beach fires

G. Taking long drives to enjoy the beauty of the island

H. Jumping off the dock

I. Beach lounging and swimming

J. Taco Tuesday

K. Watching the sunset on West End.

L. Going on walks or rides with your wildflower, bird, rock or tree identification books

M. Tuning into 105.1 The Bear

N. Getting drunk and playing Phase 10 on a rainy day (wait, this might only apply to me and my brother)

O. The Booze Cruise

P. Fun Day

Q. Square dances

R. Getting an ice cream cone at the store

S. Wondering why food tastes better on the island.

T. Seeing your island friends and loving the fact that even though you haven’t seen them in 8 months, it is as if you haven’t spent a day apart.

U. Not showering daily…who needs a daily shower when you go swimming every day? (I really hope this doesn’t only apply to me)

V. Sitting on the beach while enjoying your favorite beverage and not missing TV, cell phones or Blackberries or computer solitaire.

W. Wildflowers in the lawn.

X. Not getting in a car for days

Y. Beach glass combing

Z. Knowing that even though you have to leave, you can always come back.
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: what are you most excited about?? Reply with quote

I will go first:

katie wrote:

A. That moment when the boat pulls away from the dock in Cheboygan, you can relax and finally know that you are going home

C. Curling up in your favorite spot with a blanket wrapped around you while enjoying the first cup of coffee of the day

F. Beach fires

J. Taco Tuesday

N. Getting drunk and playing Phase 10 on a rainy day (wait, this might only apply to me and my brother)

U. Not showering daily…who needs a daily shower when you go swimming every day? (I really hope this doesn’t only apply to me)

V. Sitting on the beach while enjoying your favorite beverage and not missing TV, cell phones or Blackberries or computer solitaire.

square mouth
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: what are you most excited about?? Reply with quote

katie wrote:

B. Walking into your cottage for the first time after this dreary winter and NOT caring that there are little mouse poops in your drawers, no wood to start a fire and you’ve forgotten to bring clean socks.

F. Beach fires

J. Taco Tuesday

L. Going on walks or rides with your wildflower, bird, rock or tree identification books

P. Fun Day

Q. Square dances

R. Getting an ice cream cone at the store

T. Seeing your island friends and loving the fact that even though you haven’t seen them in 8 months, it is as if you haven’t spent a day apart.

X. Not getting in a car for days

Y. Beach glass combing

Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie! You hit all the highlights I can think of.... Wait.. Here's a few.

Smelling the water and the pines.

Sinking my toes into the sand at Sand Bay.

Seeing that fabulous sunset.

Catching sight of the Sandhill Cranes in Moonlight Bay or maybe an otter at the dock..

Dodging Garder snakes by the woodpile..

Hearing the foghorn.. It always helps me sleep better..

Feeling the sun shine on me in the early morning while I sway in a swing at the school.. That one is more from my childhood.. Smile

Seeing all my best friends and spending time with family.

Having our annual Cousin's Reunion.

I'm sure I can think of more.. Give me time............. Cool
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Susie! great additions. i wish more people would respond.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Island Jam '08 doesn't appear on anyone's list... Wink
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
E. Going to the bar and finding that West End Piper AND Dan are playing

Close enough Dan? Laughing

Are you going to have your CD for sale this year? I know I could get excited about that.. Cool

Come on folks, let's hear some more!

Here's a couple more..

Meditating while combing the beach for heart shaped beach glass!

Kayaking in the early morning or evening on a glass calm inland lake with loons calling..
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the first boat to the island.

Playing shuffleboard with the women on Thursdays.

Watching the hummingbirds eating and buzzing each other.

Walking on Snow Beach.

Listening to the quiet in the woods.

Watching my flowers grow.

Sleeping with my Maddy.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: just Reply with quote

life on Lug and Tug island

Bon fire at night on the beach ( sandbay)

square dancing ..the most fun when my kids were small

swatting the flies .yup that is fun too !!

swimming all day at the old dock

take home cooked chicken that grandma would make and go out to the cross and enjoy food family and swim ( old memories )

take some shampoo and wash and rinse your hair in the lake ..try it Katie

visit with my summer friends ..the Social butterfly I am

eating

our family and friends dropping by to see us coffee is on !! snacks too

staying up late visiting

eating moms home cooking

looking though all the old pictures

eating some more

Taking walks though the pines

walking down the road at the gold coast till we came to the end of the road

listening to the frighters at night and seeing the lights pass by

more family friends drop by ..get the coffee and eat again

Every sunday going to church with Grandma ( ole memories)

the pine trees the everything air always smells good

going though and sorting out boxes of childhood memories .. Got to finish that job this summer ..

did you know char Plaunt and I got the same doll for christmas one year ?? ..you do now !! ( old memories )

I have to take a few rocks and driftwood home with me so I look for both as I walk the beach ..
eat at Hawks as ofton as we can and stop by for ice cream too !!

this is a start .. and no Kate we do not shower every day .. its the island its summer we have fun !! no one will notice !!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: e Reply with quote

sitting in my rocker and thinking back how I would enjoy that same rocker with one of my kids on my lap

sitting on the couch looking out at the woods and remembering how beautiful peaceful and calm it was when i lived in that same home when my kids were small and also when I was a kid ...

waking up to hearing little peeps under the window ..as we had chickens when my kids were little and the mommie chick was out walking her little chicks

I will not forget the time a spidow made a web on our kit window and it was so beautiful mom left it there for us kids to watch

I do remember how scared I was one time when I was quite young going across in Rays boat .. the waves were huge !! when I got older I could appreciate how Ray could handle that boat .. it was truely amazing !!

Lug and Tug Island .. go to store..put groc in cart . .when shopping was done put Groc on counter . put Groc in bags put in buggy ..out to car ..put groc in car.. .. take groc out of car and put on Rays boat .. get to island haul Groc to car then drive home ..take Groc in house .. once in house put Groc away .

Sleeping in my bathing suit when I stayed over to Grandmas .hmmm how did I get away with that ?? mom had a fit .. but I wanted to be ready to jump out of bed eat and head for the ole dock ..I have to admit the bathing suit was damp and yuky feeling ..

some winters took forever ..I wanted to see my summer friends ...

looking at the moss on the old damp trees and the mushrooms that grew on the trees .. was Grandma right ?? did elves really live there ??

Making home made ice cream in the old crank job .. we got the ice from the lake and my brother would have to keep one foot on the top as they cranked .. it was heaven the taste of that ice cream and a real treat !!

when I turned 12 I got my first LLbean boots ... !!!

My Grandpa Fay D. Calkins cleaned the school .. it was a happy day when we all got new desks ..I watched grandpa put them together ...

Kate I could not help my self ... there are so many memories ..and many more ...

I really enjoyed your list ..more detail !!
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: a few of my favorite things Reply with quote

Here are a few of my favorites, Laughing

Passing all the familiar places on my way to the east end, knowing that not too far past the Coast Guard Chapel I am there.

Walking up the drive and back to the "Rock".

Taking the mule out to the lighthouse.

Driving around hoping to find a trail I haven't been down before.

I also sleep better to the sound of the foghorns.
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Reynolds wrote:
Hmmm, Island Jam '08 doesn't appear on anyone's list... Wink

i gave you & WEP a shout-out!

when was the official Island Jam last year? i don't know if i was there for that or if i saw you perform at the unofficial Island Jams.
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having my money tree bloom so I can afford the gas to come there for the first time!!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katie, you know I was just funnin' y'all. Can't wait to see you this year, and thanks for lightening the mood with this thread.

Last year, I think the "jam" was all of the official and unofficial music that happened at the bar, rather than just one day. The big holidays were the most successful, with the pig roast, fun day, etc. It's kind of up to Barb if she wants to continue officially having jams there. Hope so.

Although, you know, one of the nicest nights I had there was just sitting and strumming right up at the bar with only 4 or 5 other people there... It was quiet and intimate. Totally unofficial. Wink

Susie, I will have the CD ready this spring. We just finished the final track this month and I hope to have it packaged by the beginning of May.

I'm beyond ready to set foot on BBI this year... Got my old hiking boots all laced up and my heavy work jacket in the truck already.

Dan
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Reynolds wrote:
Thanks Katie, you know I was just funnin' y'all. Can't wait to see you this year, and thanks for lightening the mood with this thread.

Last year, I think the "jam" was all of the official and unofficial music that happened at the bar, rather than just one day. The big holidays were the most successful, with the pig roast, fun day, etc. It's kind of up to Barb if she wants to continue officially having jams there. Hope so.

Although, you know, one of the nicest nights I had there was just sitting and strumming right up at the bar with only 4 or 5 other people there... It was quiet and intimate. Totally unofficial. Wink

Dan

i think i saw you play at least three different times last summer....maybe 4. the first time was May...either Mother's Day weekend or Memorial Day weekend. then i saw you again in July and again in August for the Pig Roast. i bring a gang of people to the bar when i hear that DR is in the house. you are the official Boblo rockstar. you even get requests from your Band-Aids. Wink
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: favorite island things Reply with quote

Waking up before sunrise to the smell of a fresh pot of coffee. Stumbling around pulling on warm clothes and suitable shoes. Stir in sugar, cream in an insulated mug (or just stir in some Baileys) Grab the camera, a chair and head out. The deer are almost always out between the shore and the forest. Ducks, geese, loons add to the scene...

The pre-rise show is as good as the actual sun rise. And I always ask myself, "how many places are there in the world where one can watch the sun rise out of a fresh water horizon?" Oh yeah, one of my favorites....

Thanks for getting the thoughts going!
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing all you part timers comeing up and running around like little buzy bees getting all your mouse poops cleaned up and the 2 cords of sticks out of your yard. You might need a chainsaw to get in that driveway! Laughing Laughing Laughing
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what are you most excited about?? Reply with quote

J. Taco Tuesday

Z. Knowing that even though you have to leave, you can always come back.[/quote]

And some of my own:

Going to sleep and waking up to the sound of Lake Huron.

My island friends that have become my closest friends.... because they "get it".
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fog horns and hummingbirds are definitely things you miss in the city.

The smell of fall.

Shrouded in fog, the only thing you can hear, and feel, is the chugging of a freighter's motor.

The sound of waves rippling.

The smell of maple syrup being made.

The deafening silence on a sunny crisp winter morning.

Stand off shore on the ice about 200 yards out and yell to your hearts content. Notice anything? No echo.

Froggin' and suckers and smelt......
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Good One Blue72 !!
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trip to the island...and no bugs!!!

Hey Clowie what do ya say we try and get Ol' 72 blew back to the island this summer...he says he will but I think it might be just talk!!!
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue72 on the island??? that would be weird.. I don't think I would even recognize him...

Al... when you come up, could you make sure that you are eating mass quantities of pancakes at any point when I might run into you, because it may be the only way I recognize you.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a few things I miss from my childhood.

Waiting for the summer kids to come.

Frog hunting, sucker fishing, ice fishing, heck any fishing

Swimming at the dock, water skiing

Snowmobiling, building snow forts at the school

Climbing tree, playing hid and go seek at the school

Playing outside with cousins all day ( our kids don’t know what that is like)

Building fort out in the woods, mushroom picking

Mosquito, Black fly, deer fly, horse fly, etc swatting

Deck handing on the boats, square dancing

The old Pines Hotel, visiting with friends and family

Caching lightning bugs, pollywogs, snakes, frogs

Skipping stones, looking for mooring anchors in the spring

Sitting in a rowboat letting the light breeze move you slowly and looking at the bottom of the lake

Saturday morning cartoons

Pulling each other on sleds, skies, hoods of old cars, small boats, just about anything we could get our hands on, with our snowmobiles.

It was a lot of fun growing up on the Island as a kid. You couldn’t get into to much trouble and had to make up your own fun. As kids that grew up on the Island it is hard to explain to kids that grew up in the cities what is was like. There idea of fun is different because of different opportunities and the number of other kids to play with. You played with kids of all ages because that was all there was. A one room school house, not many people can even fathom that one. Although 9 years with the same teacher can be trying to both the student and the teacher.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just building snow forts, but snow forts so big , everyone could standup inside, and ride a sled off the top without damaging it. You could build forts the size of condos after Victor got done piling the snow. And you could still find remnants in May.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH...good one BABBS...

Clowie, you are the second luckiest person I know, grow-up and live on the island...you dawggg!!!

1. Hunting after school with the fellas...rabbit, pats...how come we never duck hunted when we were growing up fellas???

2. Trolling in the row boats after school fishing for trout...man that used to be great.

3. Riding over on snowmobiles to catch a movie

4. Standing on the ice on a very cold night and listen to the ice making away.

5. The 10 o'clock boat ride with Plaunt and Pizza Italiano what whatever the heck it was...

6. Summers at the dock, when know one was man enough to toss me in the lake...I ruled that place

7. Friday night during the school year, spending the night at someone's house....Dukes of Hazard...Fantasy Island... and Love Boat...Isacc was cool and Rosco reminds me a lot of bahloo 72....

8. Sucker fishin in the sping

9 Remember that first 50 degree day in the spring...man the mud was cool.

10. The hotel lobby...WHAT a GREAT Place!!!

Herbie and Grace were super!!!

11. Runnin the trap line with Victor, Curt, Al, and Tony...some things you will just never forget... Miserable BEACHES!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: