Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Sad news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to see the new embassy in Iraq? 800 million to build and 2-3 billion a year to keep running. Bomb proof, bullet proof. It so nice to be loved.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Embassy Reply with quote

It is or will be the WORLD'S largest Embassy. It is on 104 acres. It is self contained...electricity, water. It has 21 structures. It has gymnasiums, pools, hospital, food service, etc. It is bigger than the Vatican. Initial total costs estimates were 500 million. Just another lie or miscalculation. No iraqis employed. Gee, I wonder if Hallibuton is in on it.

Does anyone out there think for a minute that we are ever leaving Iraq?

Thanks 3 putt for informing our tax payers where their money is going. And the empire grows.....
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have 'missed' the part of the abortion article that 'indicates that the leaders of Yale and some it's professors and students' 'endorse' the behavior of the offending student. The only, slightly supportive commentary 'appears' to come from a fellow art student. The remaining comments seem to be either 'no comment' or negative ones. I think that Doug is making inferences based on little or no evidence. Which.......come to think of it, is par for the course for Doug.
Wink
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they level it before anyone moves in.
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's always good to hear from another old hippie... which I assume you to be by suggesting the "candidates" debate one another on Acid.

Yes I am a fellow hippie. Once a hippie always a hippie! I just watched a movie-which reminded me of the acid thing!- the man was beating someone for the truth and then they gave him acid "to get to the truth" the guy jumped out the window! What a good idea for politicians. Of course one would have to hold the debate on the 10th floor to be sure! Laughing

When yound we all thought we made a difference and could change the world. NOW, we know better, but we can made a difference in our little spot in the world.

We need a revolution! EVERYONE in america stop going to work for a week. Don't drive, don't buy anything. Just shut it down.

"country joe and the fish" what a memory, did you go to woodstock? I only have the album. Wish I could have went! Would have LOVED to see Jimi Hendrix live. I tried to sneak out to go to Goose Lake here in Michigan, (mini woodstock) but couldn't pull it off! Hell being a girl! They woulda let my younger brother go but he didn't want to. Rolling Eyes

I used to play Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner" when my dad had a hangover! Such a mean little kid!! #jumping
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted here about music, off topic and moved it.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Revolution Reply with quote

Revolution march has a date. July 12 in DC. I'm planning my time around that date. Dan Reynolds and anyone else possibly interested in expending some energy for our country, this is an opportunity. I know $ is a big factor in this kind of a deal.

More details will be posted as I get them.
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to attend, don't know $ wise. but keep us informed
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Elmer Engel wrote:
Dan, when you lump Ron Paul along side HC, BO, JM it tells me you KNOW nothing abut Ron Paul. Nothing. He is so far from their agendas, only in "not knowing" could you include him as "one of them".

Agendas have nothing to do with it. As I tried to explain, he's exactly like them because money is the only reason you know his name. More money=more notoriety and better chance to win. Ron Paul has a better chance of getting elected than John Elmer Engel because he has tons of money backing him, but maybe John Elmer Engel would be a better candidate. Know what I mean? If you're going to depart from the only realistic choices (the #1 Democrat and the #1 Republican), why not be true all the way?

John Elmer Engel wrote:
Dan Reynolds and anyone else possibly interested in expending some energy for our country, this is an opportunity.

Thanks for the plug. I take advantage of lots of opportunities to expend energy for our country, without leaving my own community (shouldn't that have been our approach to Iraq?). I carry a Hefty bag and pick up trash along the BBI shoreline. I just finished renovating a room in a house (gratis) for an older, retired neighbor who lives alone and depends on community assistance. For the last five years, I've volunteered for a community service organization that works to raise money for blind, deaf and physically disabled individuals. I think many of us find ways of supporting our country by being the best citizens we can be.

I don't need to be part of an organized "revolt" to make a positive difference... Maybe mine is a grassroots way of expending energy for our country, but personally, I think that's the best way.

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't need to be part of an organized "revolt" to make a positive difference... Maybe mine is a grassroots way of expending energy for our country, but personally, I think that's the best way.

It is probably the only way that makes a difference to someone.

A revolt is a great idea but no one will care.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Revolts Reply with quote

Dan, well said. I agree with you. I do some of the things you mentioned and they are a part of what makes America and Americans great people.

Revolts can do some good or not.

Here's a good read. This is what separates Ron Paul from the other three. All three together could not write this.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul42.html
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... JEE tells me I have lost that "hippy lovin feelin' "

So excuse me while I puke in the corner. As one ages perhaps ate become more cynical or maybe wiser.

You can go pound the streets, carry the signs, get mad as hell and not take it it any more.... And the gop/neocons will watch it on CNN and say "Gee whiz, the peasants are pissy today". They have the control. It is all about the money (including RPs election bid).

If you want to make a difference it has to be grassroots and I am not talking politics only. "Tim L. said, "tune in, turn on, drop out." Be proactive. Turn on doesn't mean take LSD. It means get a grip and work from the bottom up, maybe in apolitical ways.

What have YOU done today to support the predicament we are in? Shopped at Wally/Sams club to send some money out of the USA? Filled up your gas sucker SUV? Its a long list of things that can make a difference. You can't change the world or the established political system by getting pissed about it and "revolting". The "revolt" will be good for 25 seconds on CNN as a one-off protest. "Yeah... and then what happened."

When we have revolts in the streets in all major citys every weekend? Then maybe the point will get made " The natives are restless"? Right now, the sheeple peasant middle class restless natives might be torqued to the max, but alco focused on making it to the next paycheck, And THEN, when they can't, they will be mad as hell and in the streets. Me too.

Folks... It's gonna hit the fan. I feel it in my bones. And sooner than later as CW seems to be. And BRING IT ON. Lee Iacocca was right: "WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE?" I think is is about 1/8" below the surface.

Look at all the stuff coming to the surface on THIS website. Are we thinking about nothing else? This is the information age. The internet. We dopn't have to accept the media twist on things any more to add 2+2 and think things through from there. Thanks google and youtube.

c
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Revolting Reply with quote

"No one will care." if a group demonstrates to call attention to the corruption of the country we all love. Possibly. For sure, that could be true.

I know this to be a 100% true, fact: If 'we' do nothing, nothing changes.

If we rake our yard and keep it neat while the Federal Reserve bankrupts our country, heh, at least the yard is neat.

Dan, I disagree with you after your first post and your 2nd explanation. Not entirely, but here's why Ron Paul does not fit into your "one size fits all candidates." Bear with me here.

Ron Paul is a doctor, delivers babies. How much does he make a year in that job? I don't know. Is it $200,000? $300,000? Is that enough for him to "run a campaign"? Hillary and Bill are over $100 million annually. McCain is in the millions. Obama just reported making $4.7 million last year. Ron Paul has no REPUBLICAN corporate sponsors. He is against corporate welfare in tax breaks and subsidies. So how did he get "all that money you say he had to have to get noticed"? Although it is never 100% average people donating to any campaign, it was 99% salt of the earth, non-sheeple, middle class Americans that Respect our constitution and love our freedoms that are being taken away by the MSM candidates. That money somehow is different than money coming from the Military/Industrial complex.

No lobbyists go through his office door. NONE. He has voted against all congressional pay raise bills. ALL! He does not take part in the lucrative Federal pension plan. He has NEVER voted for any tax raise bill. And that's a 20 year record....NEVER. And I like him because of all of his money??? You are insulting me and my non-conformity.

You want to talk money? This guy's entire platform is for putting YOUR money back into your pockets. And where is he going to get it? By cutting the spending in Washington DC. Getting rid of Depts that cost billions and do nothing...FEMA, Dept of Ed., FAA, etc. and you know that doesn't sit well with the " Big Government Guys." They all are disasters and they all suck the money out of your pockets.

You don't know this guy at all. He got noticed, I'll agree, because he has more money than me, for sure. But he got noticed because of his message, not his money. I was a democratic SHEEP. Ask Steve Perialas, he knows first hand. So how could a Democratic sheep go Awol for a republican? Message. I've got a brain and I used it (this time). I veered off the sheeple path and found out the two parties are equally at fault for our problems. So why keep following the herd?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go again...

Jee, you are on a roll, Can you bump things forward a couple notches beyond RON PAUL? Please?

A: RP isn't going to be elected as an independant or by any other means.
B: Please see A:
C; If Neptune and Uranus came into perfect alignment and the politic gods from Zarnebulon said " RP gets to be prez". He would be totally worthless as not being internally connected to EITHER PARTY. The president DOESN'T conrol doodly. Ever heard of the Congress and Senate? The other 95% of the corrupt porkbarrel spend o rama Pig****ers?

About like Ralph Nader and Ross Perot. Their idealism and $.25 will buy a pack of gum. It is a two pary system. I didn't make this up.

Quote:
I know this to be a 100% true, fact: If 'we' do nothing, nothing changes.

OK. Then do something that makes a difference. Grass roots and personal. Hyping a dead frog aint going anywhere.

Quote:
If we rake our yard and keep it neat while the Federal Reserve bankrupts our country, heh, at least the yard is neat.

Absolutely true. So then what happened?

From the bottom up, not by words, but by grassroots PROTEST. I am about to puke on idealistic political rhetoric.

Example: $4.00+ a gallon diesel fuel dragging the US economy into the dirt?

All truckers park 'em for a week, two weeks, month until this country is on its knees. PROACTIVE. Will they take control? They could... but probably won't bcause they have rigs to pay for...

You think the government is going to fix the problems they have so far created? The "government" whomever and whatever it is, is like a big growing tumor on US Society. They are this way becuse we never fought back and tried to "vote" our way out... Fixed election to be considered

Said this 356 times earlier. All About the money.

Jee BUD, I feel your pain. But you gotta start looking at this from the bottom up and not the top down. Politics are not the solution, but the problem. Grass roots "drop out" is the ONLY thing that will change anything...

Give this some thought... Our political system is broken. The politicians willl not fix it. They are the problem, not the solution.

Wisdom from an old hippy, one on one. hand to hand...
C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Bottom up Reply with quote

Conis get on the clue bus here fella. RP will not be pres. Duhhhhhh. This IS a start at the bottom work to the top grassroots effort. Ron Paul only got the ball rolling. He ran to open the eyes of people like me. And don't give me crap about RP when you know he is the only honest candidate with the only platform that restrores our country to its greatness. You have agreed with me a hundred times. Now you are blowing smoke up who's keister, here? Flip, flop.

Get on the net. Sign every petition that they put in front of you, and me, and the thousansds of others and continuously put them at the feet of our congress persons. Sites like downsizedc.com Write contiuously to our elected officials. Levin, Stabenow, Stupak.

I'm on more meetup groups than I can count. RPs message is being represented by people running for office at every level of government from city governments to Senate races.

What do you interpret grassroots as being? I am writing on this site as one of twenty! It is no longer RP for prez, my friend, it is people stand up and do something other than rake your fng yard and expect that to do what?

Sorry I'm so passionate about our government. I do not accept, "shut up already, you aint doin' any good." I'm doing myself good.

Conis, you gripe about gas prices, taxes, regulations. Why? What does griping about the RESULTS of corrupt government do for anyone? Lube up, bend over, and smile. Mean while I'm speaking out, protesting when I can, writing letters, signing online petitions, because I'm pissed. Now I'm sorry if that is not enough "grassroots" for you but that is how I'm doing SOMETHING. OK? Others gripe about the results of government, I gripe about the government and the idiots the sheeple vote for. Maybe next time, if we experience enough pain, the sheeple will actually use their heads and vote for someone that actully KNOWS what to do. And I mean vote for Constitutionalists at every level...city, state, federal government. In fact, I would vote for you as a constitutionalists. I will not run. I have been drunk, stoned, and bad too many times in my life and we sure do not want someone with all that baggage in government. We need good, honest people like GW at the helm.

And we sure wouldn't want Jeff at the helm. An Atheist! Aw, man. Our country would go down like a rock. Or a gay person. What do they know about the constitution or governing?

Ok, I'm off the entire political posting as of now. If I insulted anyone, tough. Get over it and expand your horizons.

Oh, and by the way, hippies protested. They didn't stay home and rake their yards. They got in the face of National Guards rifle barrels and did something to bring Viet Nam to an end. And now you are old and tired and bitter and been there done that. Ok. Fine.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Too late Reply with quote

This is why we should not go quietly into the night...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w10.html

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,956982-2,00.html
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

I believe the Hippies had good ideas and tried hard not to be yanked by the Government and etc.....
And the people looked down on them like they were freakes or something worse .. yup they smoked pot ... but what were the people that looked down on them doing ????

They fought for what they believed in .. and I respect them for that ...

I am glad John you started this post and were not shot down for it ..

We all learned something from it .. or I did anyway .. I can not speak for others .. first we have to have our minds open ..So WE can GET IT !!!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Both right Reply with quote

John and Conis, you are both right. John backs a good cause that many can agree with. Conis is being practical about the electability of the candidate for that cause.

There may be a breaking point in the future. Hardship would bring it on. When or if that happens, and the candidate for the cause is elected president, Congress must agree with him/her. Otherwise, none of the issues would get resolved.

So, to resolve the issues, the people that must believe in the cause, must be elected to Congress. A majority in Congress must believe in the cause.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Cause Reply with quote

Well said, Mike.
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, hippies protested. They didn't stay home and rake their yards. They got in the face of National Guards rifle barrels and did something to bring Viet Nam to an end. And now you are old and tired and bitter and been there done that. Ok. Fine.

Being an old tired hippie myself....I don't think that is it. Today, people won't commit to a cause, don't want to be involved. Of course, with good reason, the government/police will retaliate in force. there was Kent State in the day, now multiply that by every city, every police force. Don't have to worry about the Natl Guard - there are in Iraq. People are scared to say or do anything. Your neighbors will turn you in for terrorist thoughts/activities/suspicions. Your phones are tapped, key words set it off. What can you really do? petitions? they are ignored. I don't know how many petitions I've signed!. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ever politician lies to get elected. NO changes are made for the good of the people.

Yes if we-AS A NATION-shut down for a week or two, the point would get across. There is no fear of things (like truckers rigs) getting paid for, the way things are going they won't be able to pay for them anyway. But out of even 100 people how many do you think would really NOT BUY ANYTHING OR GO ANYWHERE for even a week! Never mind the whole country.

Someone, years ago, told me a sign of disgust with the nation is to fly the flag upside down. I love the flag, as a symbol of our freedom (what is left of it). At the time I was appalled to think of flying it upside down. Now I wonder. But then I would guess that is against the Patriot Act also.

So, what is there to do? as you say, lube up and bend over. and find ways to beat the system. wind energy, go back to horses instead of cars! Grow our own food. Hmm..become amish. Have Bush and the rest of em stick their oil where the sun will never shine.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

I could not agree with you more, Gonnagetaway! On every point.

My very good friend, Conis, and I can, figuratively, punch each other in the face over these issues and still talk, socilaize, and live side by side. As bleak as it may appear, and maybe it is too late to restore our Republic, I still cling to the whispy hope that the people, me, you, Conis, Dan, and others can "in mass" force these corporate/elected officials to follow the constitution or, for example, we ALL pay NO FEDERAL TAXES!

Please go to "We The People" website. There are seven petitions, "Redress of Grievances" that have been presented to our Supreme Court. And that court HAS IGNORED THIS CONSTITUTIONAL ACT!! Which says clearly, that the highest court in this land does not defend the constitution and does not listen to the MILLIONS of citizens in this country.

Do I scream on this site? Yes, I do! I scream on every site I go to. Some will say, "John, if you didn't scream, maybe they would listen." I've got some very bad news for the quiet sheep out there...they aint listening to you. They do not care about you. They do not want you to get 'uppity'. They want subjects. They want a herd that follows without question, like the expressionless, polygamist women I have been listening to lately on MSM TV. "Follow, but do not question!"

So, on I will rave.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
I know that not all of these things listed are lies.
I have seen enough personally to believe that Iraq was making and acquired WMD. They probably moved them out of the country, most likely to Syria, before we came in and now we cannot locate them, so this makes it look bad for us. I remember there was a military target (building)destoyed, then Sadam has his men come in and cover the place with baby formula. So they take all these pictures and film and say look how horrible the Americans are, now we can not feed our babies. You probably believed that too right John?

I would rather go after these countries on their soil, rather than wait until they attack Americans on our soil. Then everyone wants to know why we didn't do anything.

Remember 5 and a half years ago when I said those weapons had been moved to Syria. We intercepted radio communications during the Gulf War that indicated this. they were suppose to hold them and eventually give them back to Saddam. I guess once he was dead they started using them. Occasionally I hear a little bit about this on the news but it is quickly forgotten about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: war bs Reply with quote

Weapons? Military? The USA spends more on weapons than the top 12 countries combined. NOONE will attack us. And we need to keep our noses out of their war ignorance.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama's got a new dog.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you John on us staying out of other countries problems. And Right Guy nobody cares if the president got another dog....there's more important issues that he should focus on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: