Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Kayakalakeaday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

I've posted this event, Kayakalakeaday, on this website:

http://playak.com/calendar.php?date=2008-04-01

Like last year, I plan on kayaking the four inland BBI lakes while the water in each is at its highest point. This allows cruising as close to the awesome wild shorelines as possible. Hardwoods at this time do not even show much eveidence of leaves.

I have no clue if anyone will inquire or not. Lodging may be required. If anyone has a rental and wants to get an early jump on the season, this is a chance to make some early bucks.

Cruising the lakes in April presents the possibility of all kinds of weather. Last year the temps were in the high 30s and low 40s. It was rainy one day. But these conditions often present some great vistas. I may be the only craft on the lakes unless someone else joins me. Last year I saw NOONE on the roads or the lakes. Quiet with a capital Q. Proper clothing is a must. Remember, "There is no such thing as 'Bad Weather'. Just 'Bad Clothes'.

Here is a link with my Lake Mary trip and Twin Lakes trip photos from 2007. It is always better in person.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cabinfool/SpringKayak07LakeMaryKayakTour42707

http://picasaweb.google.com/cabinfool/SpringKayak07TwinLakesTour42907

Let me know what you think. Ideas are welcome and necessary. Thanks.
Deerlodge
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Hey John,
Thanks, you got some awesome pictures of my cabin on mary lake. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the siding work this year, God willing.
I think I'll add these pics to my scrapbook.
Thanks again,
John
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Room Rentals Reply with quote

John, Insel Haus accommodates 20. As of this date, 3-29-08, 1 room is booked 4-24, the entire house is booked 3-4-25, 26, 27 and 1 room booked 4-28-08. For this special event our rates will be reduced 50%. Check our web site: www.inselhausbandb.com. Breakfasts are included.

Shelby
ttfn
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great way to celebrate spring. Wish I could be there! Instead I will have to try out the new kayak closer to home. Have fun!
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. I really enjoyed those from your trip last year.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

I will post the site with all of the trip photos as soon as I get home.

Anyone that knows of any rental accomodations available during this weekend, April 25, 26, 27, PLEASE let me know who to contact. So far I have no takers that need shelter. But, just in case, if there is anyone that wants some early start-up cash, drop me a PM or send me an email.

I can't wait to get on the water! bbiengel@charter.net

Thanks
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: PIC Reply with quote

JOHN
I ENJOYED YOUR PICTURES ..

HAVE FUN !!
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked them. From a report I got yesterday, Lake Mary is still completely covered with ice... the event might be renamed" Skatealakeaday.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: bb Reply with quote

b Smile
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

This article may not whip up any interest for the end of April paddling but I hope it brings some folks up to spend some bucks on the island later.

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?1983

More and more people are looking for locations to go bicycling, paddling, and hiking. No doubt BBI offers some great ATV riding opportunities. Gasoline costs will put a crimp on that. We can attract a very quiet crowd that will spend money at Hawks, Barbs Tavern, Insel Haus, and on rental properties. I've said it a million times, besides the friendly island folks,...the wild, natural beauty of BBI is its most desirable quality...and people will come to experience it.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Participation from Kayakalakeaday '07 increased from one participant (me) in 2007 to 3 participants this time. Anyway, the lakes were lonely, temps were 39 to 45 degrees. Foggy, rain, thunder, lightening, sun, etc.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get them organized.

Bicycling was great as well. Lots of water on the roads and in the depressions everywhere.

Saw Dan R., Dan Z, Polly, Barb, Eric, Bruce, Mark, Bill, Mike, Lani, Curt, Ray, Ryan, Stu, Russ, and others. It was a great first BBI trip. Thanks for all the companionship and fun conversation.

Last edited by John Elmer Engel on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bummed we were unable to make the trip for the 2nd Annual Kayakalakeaday "event". We have even just recently, expanded our fleet of kayaks and are so excited to get them in the water. We can now get the whole fam out at once! I was watching the weather for you, John and from the webcam on Mack, it wasn't looking good. But I'm sure it felt great just to get up there, open up, and meet Mother Nature's springtime arrival. We're eager to see your pix!
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Here is the site to check out the photos from Kayakalakeaday. I left my extra camera battery in Bay City so I took fewer pictures. We got on Twin Lakes, Mary's Lake, and Thompson Lake. Upon the advice of Bruce Lord who was driving a Surburban, I did not attempt to drive my "grannie van" to Deer Lake through the large water hazards. It was a great weekend. Here are pics from my trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cabinfool/KayakalakeadayFarmApril24282008
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those are great pictures. Looks like something you would expect to see in Alaska. Thanks.

I am going to try to make next years (which means I need to spend time in my kayak this summer so I am prepared).
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

The size and wildness of BBI's inland lakes make them treasures. Waterfowl abound. The ancient cedars are wonders.

We have no agenda, itenerary, plan, or rules. But I think next year, we should have one mandatory concept after kayaking: meet at the Tavern and discuss the days experiences such as the weather, the wind, the clouds, the waves, Ron Paul, the trees, the and any other observations.

Many folks at the tavern were up for the first time and that is always a special moment...back on the island for another season.

I enjoy the brisk weather. It is weather that you can paddle hard in and not work up too much of a sweat. You can feel some of the harshness in that chilly, foggy air. There were no bugs. At night, the fire was welcome. Talking to those hardy island "full timers" and listening to their hunting tales, and other experiences is a story in itself.

When and what lake each decides to paddle is up to the individual. I got on Mary's Lake and Twin Lakes at about noon...wake up easy, make breakfast, drink many coffees, walk the dog, load the car and off to paddle. I got on Lake Thompson at about 10 am. No rules. Just go and see the beauty at one's leisure.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to see you at Barb's and hear about the kayaking adventures. Being on BBI this time of year is kind of like waking up just before the sun crests the horizon - it's still, crisp and chilly, but signs of life abound.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures JEE! Thanks for sharing once again. As my wife posted earlier, we now have 4 kayaks in the family 'navy'. I'm looking forward to some trips with you this summer. (And the beer at the Tavern afterward!) Jeff Very Happy
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the weather, the wind, the clouds, the waves, Ron Paul, the trees, . . .

I love your persistence, JEE! Though it reminded me a bit of that thing we did in school: Which one of these things doesn't belong?

Having said that, I expect that you would assert that Ron Paul does belong since those other things will be less at risk if RP is elected. Anyway, I like your idea of a free-ranging discussion afterwards. (And by next year's, we will have a new President to praise or complain about!)
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

You got me, Doug.

I tried to keep it strictly nature and paddling but, hey, it's tough to completely turn off the spigot, sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: