Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Canfield family info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Canfield family info Reply with quote

Hi all, I was here a year or so ago and asking info on the Canfield Family. I was out of touch for a while due to surgery and a few other minor family problems. I was just wondering if anyone had learned more about my family on the island?

I did see the pic with Betty Calkins and Beatrice Canfield...wonderful and thank you for posting it. My sister actually married a Calkins from the Roseville MI area...any connection?

I appreciate any info anyone has. I did receive 2 death certificates I needed from Cindy Riker a year ago for Wilmot & Ethel (Babcock) Canfield...thanks again Cindy.

Talk to all soon.
Billie Jo
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billie Joe.. Now I know which shot you were talking about! Very Happy My mom was trying to send you the info she found in the Bible Bibliography.. John Bible and a Canfield or two were involved in the moonshine business.. I wonder if you got it? She says she may be having a problem with attachments.. Let me know, plz.. Glad we can help out.. Mom wouldn't have all the info she has about our family without her internet connections to gather information.. We even gained a couple of cousins recently.. I'm not sure about the Calkins connection you mentioned.. It's satisfying finding your roots, isn't it.. Cool
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Canfields and moonshine Reply with quote

I believe your mom emailed me and gave me book/author info but didn't have any attachements with it. I love this genealogy and the more stories I get, good or bad make it all the more better. If Uncle Bill ran moonshine then I know where I got all my hellraising from because before marriage and kids I sure did my fair share..still like to if I can lose hubby for a few hours and can brush my teeth to kill the tequila smell before he gets too close LOL.

I really want to make it to the Island this summer..wanted to last but surgery had me down until fall. I have some health issues that may be a burden to me to be there..horrible knees and hips from sports in school, and as that it's caused me to gain much weight. The hips stop me from walking much and I was told that there is no other form of transportation on the island so unsure if I'd be able to get around up there or not. What do you say?

I have found more cousins online than I can count. I just met a new one who posted to the site recently, Nathaniel Seibert..he's from Florida, which was funny because I have a nephew who lives not far from him.

Anway..thank you so much for any information. And thank your mother also. I wrote her an email back.

Billie Jo
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Billie Jo.... You know, you may be able to rent Keven Gibbons golf cart to travel around some of those back trails.. Or if you can bring an ATV.. Very Happy A smaller vehicle anyway..

Mom and I will get those parts of the book to you or you could probably order the book from Hawks.. It's great! Keep us updated on your arrival to BBI.. Very Happy
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: getting around on the island Reply with quote

Well I may even be able to borrow or rent one of those scooter things that you see everyone using..I've seen them at walmart and most places..if I have something to hold onto I can do pretty well if it's a long walk as long as I have a place to rest at times..but I can't walk a mile right now. I have started a treadmill hoping to lose weight and strengthen my hips again. Hopefully it'll work.

I'll be anxioiusly waiting those pages from the book if you can copy them. If not let me know and I'll see about purchasing one. I've hand written a letter to the author and asked that he email me when he's able and written an email to Mike (your brother?) for property knowledge and one to Kevin.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help.
Billie Jo
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: I'm confused! Reply with quote

I have been trying to connect all the information together that has been posted about Babcocks and Canfields. I'm lost. Cindy needs to draw a map of all the connections. Put it in the museum.

My mother has found info about the Canfields in "The Bibles of Bois Blanc" and has sent that info to Nathanial Seibert in Florida. I do not know if it has also gotten to Billie_Jo. You may be able to buy the book at Hawks Landing on Bois Blanc. It is neat that there is a picture of Wilmont Canfield in the book. How is Harold Canfield related. Does anyone know the story of a man who saw a picture formed on the bottom of a dishpan of his wife and toured the country with it? Was it a Canfield?

I returned to edit this, 1/18/07, because I remember that the name was Culver that had the dishpan, sorry.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethel Canfield was my Grampa Ned Babcock's sister. I think she was married to Wilmunt Canfield and had a son Harold Canfield. Billie Jo helped me out on this. I thought since I heard a lot about Harold that he was married to Ethel. Ray Plaunt or my mother would be the ones that are still alive to talk to. I do know that they all lived on the north shore along with the Plaunts. My mother is the only one of 12 kids that is still alive in the Babcock family. The Babcock family moved to the Island in the 20's they were from Wolverine. At that time it was called bug town. I'm not sure the year that they moved to the Island. I do no that my Dad moved there in 1923 when he was 6 yrs old. And he went to school at the sand bay school house which got tore down just a few years ago.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I eddited this post instead of reposting.
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: The Canfield Babcock connection Reply with quote

Kevin is correct. Ethel Babock married Wilmot Canfield. However, if there are any publications, he was also known as William or Bill. Harold was their eldest child. Both Wilmot and Ethel lived on the island till after 1930's sometime, then moved to Cheboygan, where both are buried. Wilmot died in may of 64 and is buried at Pinehill and Ethel died March of 65 and is buried at Silverlake.

I received the picture of Wilmot on his porch with The Bible's and his son Harold and John Brown..wonderful and thanks again Betty for sending it. I always heard that Wilmot was a moonshiner, but according to that book Mr. Bible was and Harold was his helper..too funny..and I love the old stories.

Hopefully will meet you all sometime this summer as Kevin was nice enough to invite me to his place.

Billie Jo
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: To Billie_jo Reply with quote

I noticed that their were 2 Canfields in school at the same time - I think it was 1913-1914 in the Kerr McCrae history I wrote...........Ron
Probably don't help, but neat history
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billie Jo Biff Jewell would be another one to talk to. I forget about Biff thanks Ron. He lives here in Cheboygan.
Nathaniel
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Canfield Family Reply with quote

Harold Canfield is my Great Grandfather. I visited him when he lived in St Ignace by the Pine River, and only wish I had brought my tape recorder during my visits. I was very fond of all of the old time stories he used to tell. My sincere thanks to both Billie Jo and Betty White for their information. It is very exciting to learn all about the enchanting and intriguing history of this area. I hope to visit the Island in the near future. For those who enjoy the older pictures, I have started to post some at the link here...
http://canfield.jeaga.com/
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathaniel ...

I really enjoy looking at old pictures and the history ..

Thank You for sharing them ...

When I have time to visit my Aunt Betty ... which has not been too ofton the past years but when ever I stop by for a Hello .. she goes gets the books of our family ..

She has done alot for years now .... I appreciate her....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billie Jo
I think on one of your e-mails or post you mentioned a Richardson was that Bill Richardson who married my Aunt Irene Babcock. I didn't know him but I did know one of sons Billy Richardson who lived in Travers City. That was my aunts 1st marrage they had 3-4 kids I'm not sure of that. I do know that there was a Mayme that was named after my mother and she lives in Florida. And there was another boy his name was Sonny.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billie,

My name is Tony Babcock. I talked to my dad the other day and he remembers some of your family when he was young. His name is Victor Babcock, son of Gene Babcock and Margaret (Madden name Plaunt) one of the pictures on your web site is of my Uncle Ray (my Grandma's brother) on the boat (mail Man). We knew the school teacher (Mrs. McDonald) and John and Mildred Bible. One of the pitchers looks like it might have been taken in front of may Grandma and Uncle Rayís home when they where little, the one with the dear hanging in front of a log cabin.
Iíll see if I can get more info for you from other family members.
Lester Brown
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Harold and Iva Canfield Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I am helping my son with a family tree and found this site by accident. I suspect many of you may be relatives of mine whom I have gotten out of touch with. My Grandparents and mother's parents were harold and Iva Canfield of BBI. Nathanial posted various pictures on his other site, and to my surprise, my father John Brown is in one of them. Still looking for Grandpa and Granny's place and date of Marriage. Hello to all.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
From what I know and a web site Iíve looked at before http://canfield.jeaga.com/
It looks like they live out by Hankís place. They also spent time in Jerry Sears place. It was Grandma and Grandpa Plauntís back then. My dad remembers them from when he was young.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Ethal Babcock married a canfield she was your great grandfather's sister.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin
Did you go to the web site I attached?
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Billie_Jo where are you on the Babcock/Canfield History? Reply with quote

Billie Jo, I've tried sending you a private email and got it back. Send me a PM if you see this post. Thanks!

Cindy Babcock Riker
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Beatrice Canfield & Betty Calkins Reply with quote

My mom gave me a scanned copy of a picture of Beatrice Canfield and herself. From the looks of it, it was taken around 1926 on Bois Blanc.

Click the link to see the picture: http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2039
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: