Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bois Blanc History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Bois Blanc History Reply with quote

I am interested in the history of the island and would like to see a website--this one or another--that could be a central location for that history. I have read some articles and stories about the early days of the Island, but not a lot and, as far as I know, there is no central location for it.

I am particularly interested in any information on the lime kilns on the island--was there more than one, when they were constructed and used, who used them, whether Lime Kiln Point is the point on the north of the Island or the less obvious point on the west side where the remains of a lime kiln are located, etc. Any info on this would be appreciated.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

If you haven't already, check out Bunker Clark's site: http://people.ku.edu/~bclark/boisblanc.html there's an article on the history of the island written by Chris McAfee as well as links to all of the past issues of the Boblo Tatler which usually has a paragraph or two of history tidbits. There's also this page: http://www.bbi-realestate.com/files/history.html at Jeff & Shiela's BBI Real Estate site.

Perhaps some of the members could share whatever they know. Very Happy I do know that Lime Kiln Point is the western tip of the island, the northern tip is generally referred to as Lighthouse Point.

Rob
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Mike knows..... Reply with quote

Mike White should know, he is the history man. Hopefully he will reply to this....
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I should be more specific about the Lime Kiln Point question. I know the point is somewhere out on the west end of the Island. I am trying to figure out if it is simply that whole west end knob, if it is the point that you can drive onto just across from Round Island, or if it could be the smaller point that faces due west toward the Mackinac Bridge and that is where the remains of a lime kiln are still located.

Thank-you Rob for creating another BBI site. I have been enjoying Sheila's for several years and it will be nice to have another place to 'visit' when I start missing the island and the weather prevents an actual visit.

By the way, I noticed the words Black Fly Bait under my name. It's a great name (I am sure some will want to trade me for it) but I am just curious how I got it and what I can do with it?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Black Fly Bait Reply with quote

When you register, there are ranks that you receive, depending on how many posts you make. You start at Black Fly Bait, here is the listing:

Title & number of posts

Black Fly Bait 0
Lost Bouy 5
Stone Skipper 10
Coast Comber 15 + One Island Icon
Beach Glass Hoarder 20
Syrup Seeker 25
Plaunt Pal 30
Old Dock Diver 35
Hawks' Haunter 40
Weekend Worshiper 45
Frequent Floater 50 + Two Islands
Memory Maker 75
Tavern Tennant 100 + Three Island
Island Idolizer 125
Birch Baby 150 + Four Islands
Gold Coast Guest 175
Bois & Grills Club 200
We Wanna Stay! 250 + Five Islands
Pines Paramour 300
Lake Mary Muse 400
Resident Royalty 500

Hope this helps! Rob, maybe you might want to post these at regitration??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: History Reply with quote

In reply to the question about limekilns, the whole west end of the island has been designated by the map makers as Lime Kiln Point. I think of the west end as everything west of Bible Rd. It was the American Army (after 1815) and the Mackinac Mission who operated them. The one that most people are aware of is SE along the shore from where people drive to the end of the road to view Round Island and the bridge. The flat dolomitic stones used to make this kiln appear to have been gotten from the bottom of the lake nearby which is solid rock. There is a place nearby where the people stayed and worked while on the island. This limekiln was in addition to one or more on Mackinac Island used by the soldiers. What I have located relating to the aquisition of lime are places where people have dug into banks or searched below the big bluff for soft "chalky" stone to be later burned into quicklime. I have located a military site that is east of Bible Rd. that was used in the 1820"s and 30"s to collect and burn lime.

I hope this answers some of your questions, Mike White
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Hi Mike! Reply with quote

My brother is so smart! Hope his info helps......
willow
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Laura Maud MacDonald Reply with quote

This may be my first post on this site, and it may not be in the right place. I am looking for pictures of Laura Maud (former school teacher and postmaster on Boblo). I live in the house she owned and lived in most of her life. There is little about Laura Maud or her family in the Historical Society Museum; I am writing up something short to put there; I have some pictures, but need more. Would be willing to copy and return, of course.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: MIKE Reply with quote

Mike ..do you know where that scrap book of articals that Grandma cut out of the newspaper is ?? It was very special .I thought maybe you got it after her passing because you lived on the island and you were into Island History ..It has articals with pictures of Laura Maud in that book.

If you do not have it maybe your mom has it ... I was going to ask when I came up this year ..

I am sure Willow would enjoy seeing the pictures and stories of Laura Maud .. you could make a copy for her ..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Laura Maude Reply with quote

Yes, I believe I have those clippings and whole pages somewhere. I need to search for it.
willow
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Island History- Laura Maud MacDonald Reply with quote

Mike:

I am interested in reading the clippings if you locate them. By the way, the only pictures of Laura Maud that I have show her as probably 70 years old, so if anyone has pictures of her when she was a younger woman, I'd love to see them.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Good Mike . hope you find them ..

I was wondering if any of our family have a picture of her in her young days .. I will ask Mom ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: