Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello from Bill Heinlen's brother

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishmael
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Hello from Bill Heinlen's brother Reply with quote

My name is Jack. Just a quick note to say hello.

I've inherited his place and look forward to getting to know folks.

Also, a heartfelt thank you to all who helped out during Bill's last week. It was frustrating not being there, but it was good to know he was surrounded by people who cared. Good intentions to send thank you notes have fallen into the male abyss, but you've all been in my thoughts often over the last few months.

Nothing else for now. Stay warm! It's the coldest and snowiest late fall in a decade here. Brr.

Merry Christmas,

Jack
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jack.. If Mike and Lani were home right now they would respond.. (The lucky dogs are in San Diego for the holiday) Since they aren't, I will for them.. I'm Mike's sister and I'm sure they would be wishing you a Merry Christmas too and hoping you are well.. #X-mas

Stay in touch Jack.. We like having new members of our site.. Bill was a special guy to a lot of people.. We will miss him for sure..
ishmael
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Al's Sister!

Nice photos on your site!

I notice this thread got seventy some hits, yet only your reply. LOL.

Let me be clear up front. I know Bill was a controversial figure, and that he, out of tremendous love of Bois Blanc, stepped on a few toes in the last couple years of his life. I don't completely understand the details, but I know it got heated.

I can be every bit as staunch if I sense a basic principle is being violated, but I'm not Bill, and I, if I spend much time there, want to be considered for my own merits, and my faults, not his.

The balance between development and leaving things be is a tough nut to crack. Bill saw the lovely rusticity of our childhood home at Mullett Lake fall to rich people who made it into a min-Harbor Springs, and he was very wary of that. I agree with him there, though not in hisway. I think you have to be careful, and, frankly, sometimes pugnacious.

He was more pugnacious by nature than I am, though if my back is up...

I'm much more a "Let's look at the situation and try to compromise--if compromise is possible." Lawsuits(no commentary on the recent ones, I don't know their content) are best avoided.

That said, maintaining the wild and quiet nature of that place would be paramount to me, if I were to become involved.

It's difficult to describe what it felt like, driving off the ferry and going to Mike and Ann Harrington's place, and then on to Bill's. I'd come from a road trip from Maine, driving the southern route through MA, NY, OH, MI. I think people know, but don't really understand the spirit that permeates the place. It is Northern Michigan in a way that has been lost to most of the rest of the region over the last half century. It's worth talking together and figuring a way to save it.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jack

I wouldn't worry about the politics that went on with Bill. Bill was a good guy and that is all that counts. I don't believe anyone will hold anything against you even if they were mad at Bill. At least I hope not. Just be your self and don't worry after that. Bill and I always talked about making boats. Because I have one that he liked very much. And he was building one. Come and see us often.
ishmael
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kevin,

What sort of boat do you have? Bill's love of boats was the one constant in his life. I'm so sad he'll never have a hand on the tiller of that dory he was building., He had very strong opinions--usually correct opinions, a smart cookie--and if he liked your boat it must be pretty good.

I'm not worried about his legacy there. I just wanted to clear the air a bit and say hello.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with his camp. I'd like to keep it because it is a special place, on a special island. It's my last connection to a place, an atmosphere, that I love every bit as much as Bill did.

Be well,

Jack
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack

I have a 35' trawler custom made off a kind of tug boat hull. Bill went through it and fell in love with it as I did. We spent a lot of time on it one day just talking. We planned to take a long ride and it never happened and I'm sorry about that. He talked about the one that he was building and wanted me to come down and check it out. And that never happened. There was always something else getting in the way. I was staying on the Island but I was going back and fourth every day to work. That took more time then I thought.
ishmael
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We planned to take a long ride and it never happened and I'm sorry about that. He talked about the one that he was building and wanted me to come down and check it out. And that never happened. There was always something else getting in the way."

Don't things always seem to get in the way these days?

The boat Bill was closing in on finishing, with the help of Mike White, is a one hell for stout little voyaging boat. His original concept was to take it across the North Atlantic. A hop from Labrador to Greenland, another to Iceland, and then on to northern Scottish Isles. I don't know exactly how the concept evolved or what he had in mind toward the end, but Mike Harrington and I looked the boat over and figured a minimum 500 mile range. Not your typical lake runabout!

It does break my heart that he never saw the boat in the water. He worked so hard and long on it, and it's not that far from a splash.

Your boat is a tug type hull, eh? As I said, Bill had strong opinions about boats, and was highly critical of some of the modern trawler type house boats. When your boat got Bill's seal of approval you could pretty much count on its virtue. LOL. He really was smart about boats.

Regards,

Jack
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range is one of the things he liked about my boat. It has 200 gal tank and burns 1 gal an hour at 8 knts. It has good range.
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack!

Sorry for not responding sooner, and I have to say... SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!! I will send you a PM. Also glad to hear that you will be keeping and enjoying the home Bill loved.

Jamie
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strike why I just said, as at 5 a.m. my speed reading skills are less than... adequate.

What I meant to say was... " if you decide to keep Bill's place... it will be a pleasure to get to know you..." Wink
ishmael
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jamie,

As my Aussie friends would say, no worries mate. Glad to hear from you.

As to Bill's place, soon to be my place, I hope very much to hold onto it. I look forward to getting to know my neighbors.

Jack
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,
When can we expect your visit?? Bill's stone looks great, and definitely something he would've wanted (simple)!! Will you be here soon????

xoxoxo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: