Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Big Stump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Big Stump Reply with quote

I have placed a picture of the Big Stump in the sharing album. It was taken on the Island in 1969 and my sisters are standing in front of it.
Does anyone recognize it? What and where is it?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Holding my guess Reply with quote

Jim, I think I have stood in the same spot in the 1950's. I'm going to hold off on my guess to let others have a shot at it.

Here is a link to the picture: http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2084

The picture says "68". Are you sure it was 1969?
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and as you point out it was 68. These eyes do not see as clearly as they once did.
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have only heard from you and Clover on this subject. Clover and her brother don't think this is the cork pine stump. I would like to be sure it is the cork pine before posting to the history album.

It is obvious ther is something posted on the stump. Maybe it is the poem you mentioned.

Dad's cabin was very close to the trail so it would have been easy for him to have taken this picture.

There must be someone out there that can provide more insight??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Feeley took me to it. He might know one way or the other. Time distorts memorys. What I recall is a very large tall stump with a rotting roof on it and some sign attached. I presume that the poem in the Community Building was what was on the tree. The word presume is a cover word for assuming. Wouldn't Victor Babcock know?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I would think he would know Mike ..

I sent a pic to mom so she could show it to Big Dad .. but they have not got back to me ..

They are buzy going to Doc and treatments right now

Did not send it to Brother Dave because I did not think he would see it cause I do not think sandi gets on the computer any more .. I could be wrong on that though ...
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have verified that this IS the Cork Pine Stump, located on the 2 track road that we call The Cork Pine Road. I described it to my mom, Aunt Shirley and Loren Gibbons all at the same time, and without even viewing the picture, they all replied at the same time that it was the Cork Pine Stump. And yes the poem that was posted on the stump, and Mike White is correct in saying that the poem is now in the Community Building. Mystery solved.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Please post under history Reply with quote

Jim, it looks like you can re-post the picture under history.

The following is speculation on my part, but is based on a whole lot of information from people and newspaper accounts.

Why would people cut a tree off 10 feet in the air and put a roof on it and a Victorian style poem placed on the side? My guess is that it was promotional for the Webb's, who wanted people to come and see , AND SPEND MONEY, at their resort.

Just a little further North from the "Cork Pine Stump" was a turn to the right off the Cork Pine trail. This led to the creek that flows out of Echo Lake (West twin). At the creek, the Pines hotel kept their hotel boats for their guests. Anyone at the hotel who wanted to go fishing would hike out Cork Pine Trail to the hotel boats. Then they would row upsteam a short way into the twins to go fishing. The trail and boats were in place the same summer the hotel was built, 1888.

I have tried to figure out what exactly is a cork pine. The best I can do is say that it is a large white pine tree. Maybe someone else knows more?

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've heard talk of the Cork Pine Road/Trail. Would it be possible to get information on where one might find it?
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know where the TDS Phone building (AKA The Phone Shack) is, you'll be at the Cork Pine Road. If you are at "the shack", there are 2 two track roads that cross one another, one running east and west, the other, north and south. Take the north one which sort of runs NE. That's the Cork Pine Road. You can follow it all the way out to Twin Lakes, however it gets very wet just before you get to the lake. If you're going to walk it, be sure to have high boots on, and if you will be using a quad, you might plan on getting a little stuck.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: saw Reply with quote

Take your saw and keep it open for the snowmobiles. Cool
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice hike.. The knee boats would be a must this year.. This one is a favorite of mine.. I never knew the name though.. I thought it was the microwave tower trail.. LOL! Al took us off the trail to an old dump site one time.. Pretty cool.. I'm sure I would never find it again.. I loved skiing this trail in the winter too.. Cool
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see you ski five yards Susie. Just to let you know JW sent this Laughing
NicoleMarie
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Big Stump Reply with quote

Now this may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway...The stump is gone now isn't it? I think my dad tried taking my sister and I there when we were little, but he couldn't find it.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cork Pine Stump is history, ie gone. The picture of it is a rare thing.
NicoleMarie
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: k Reply with quote

Jim's Dad saved the memory in picture form ..
sure glad he did !!
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have posted the picture to the history album and took the liberty of pastint some of your comments with it.

Thanks Mike and Clover for all your help.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: finally Reply with quote

Mom never did get a chance to show the picture of the tree stump ..to Big Dad ..
so when I talked to him on the phone the other day ..
I mentioned the tree and he said "oh do you mean the one that was cut off at the top?" .. I said Yeah !! that one !!!
I did not even have to get all of it out of my mouth ..he knew just like I thought he would !! Sure love Big Dad !!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did locate the start of the trail/road at the phone shack last week. However, having just come back from maneuvering my full-size, manual-steering, 40-year-old pickup truck to the lighthouse and back, I was feeling less-than-adventurous and elected to save the Cork Pine adventure for next time. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: