Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Roads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Roads Reply with quote

I just read on the new twp web site that there is a public hearing/ workshop to discuss naming streets on BBI. It is the day after tomarrow, Sep 24th at 10am.

This is an opportunity for your input. Snooze and you loose.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could be there.. Wish there was a Calkins Drive somewhere to honor our Grandparents.. They were a big part of the Island community.. Do it Mike! Cool
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever any further discussion of an address numbering system, to be utilized for fire/emergency and other identification purposes? I know Mike brought this up awhile back.

I had proposed a numbering system based on property section and lot #s... meaning a place located on Section 17, Lot 5 would be "1705", Section 24 lot B would be "24B", etc. While I can't attend a Wednesday meeting, I would be happy to contribute this idea, in conjunction with the "street" naming project.

This came up for me recently because I was looking at changing insurance companies, and they wanted to know the property address. "There isn't one," I said. It was puzzling to them, as they had apparently never encountered any kind of insurable structure that couldn't be associated with a street address. I ended up just describing the approximate location and they wrote it down.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Web discussion on roads Reply with quote

Dan, I printed out the whole discussion and turned it over to Joan Schroka who was spearheading this. They have since hired experts. I have no idea if any of our ideas will be used. I will go to the meeting.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several comments in different forums about naming the roads. Aren't they already named? You have the "Main Road", Bible Road, and Fire Tower Road. Oh yeah and of course, Rocky Road. Does every offshoot have to have a name to be able to find your way around, What happened to the good old days of teliing someone to " turn right at the fork in the road" or what ever the case may be. Half the fun is trying to find your way around. As for fire and police protection, will you now have to pull out a roadmap to find where you have to be? Will you now name the roads and then put up street signs? I know 30 years ago, the "target" arrows and speed limit signs weren't a big hit.
I understand folks who want to name their driveway, something clever, to identify there place.Their little corner of heaven. Something that has gone on forever, that is part of the charm. We Wanna Stay should be a historical marker. Half and Half also. Onandaga Drive? It has forever been Victor and Berta's driveway because they are there most often. Vivian and Al Smith lived at the end of Victor and Berta's driveway. Just turn at Springer's place. Ok, so some of the names have changed in the last 20 years, but you get the point.
Really, what is the necessity for street naming? Just an opinion.....
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue 72, I feel exactly the same way you do and have felt that I'm the only one! I've spent summers on the island for most of my life and one of the things I love is the mystique and interest that builds when I tell friends/visitors to: "Take the Main Road for about 22 minutes, (if you go the speed limit) then turn left at the West End Mailboxes/Depot, then left again at the fork and then take the two track almost all the way down to our Sign at the end of our driveway!" I absolutely want to retch at the idea of seeing the beautiful, natural, unadorned landscape/woodland being littered with an assortment of cheesy street names and signs. (I'm not too fond of those fold-up/down diamond-shaped signs for road work that are prolific of recent).

Who gets to name these streets? What if picking the name creates dissent among neighbors on that street? Do we ALL get to vote on the name, or is just the person who happens to be lucky enough to attend a meeting in the middle of Winter? And who gets to pick out the style and type of street signs that would be installed? Ugly metal ones that "glow" in the headlights and look like cluttered suburban neighborhoods? Carved Wood ones might look better than metal, but I'm sure the cost and upkeep would be a factor. I've heard people say that this decision is because of "safety" and "emergency response". Honestly, how many emergency runs have had a negative outcome because Graham or others couldn't find the property where an accident has happened? I'm certain that many accidents and medical emergencies have occurred out in the middle of the woods somewhere while four-wheeling, or somewhere on the beach along North Shore, or even somewhere while walking along a secluded trail. How do we assign addresses to these remote spots? A giant, detailed map should be installed at the firestation with a list of all property owners. Names could be color coded with areas on the map. For example, if an emergency comes in, the last name of the property is purple and it corresponds with a purple dot on the map, showing the location. Of course, I'm simplifying a bit, but my school has student bus routes posted this way and the fire stations where my husband works had maps of the city similar to this. I feel more thought and ideas needs to be shared before BBI goes this direction toward "progress".
And memories of monarch butterflies..."

Last edited by j. munro-duncan on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: agree Reply with quote

I could not agree more with blue72 .and .J.Munro-duncan
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, ALL of the subdivisions on the map have all the streets platted WITH names. It's been that way for years. Most of the streets haven't even been developed yet, but they're there and already have a name. So unless a new road is developed that isn't already platted on the map, they already have a name. They won't be naming driveways, so anyone with a super long drive, their address should reflect the name of the main road that you access it from. These streets were named well before any of us or most of our anscestors came here. So we'll have to accept the names that are officially given.

As far as street signs, I have no idea what the townships plans are. Whether they will actually put them up or if it will just be a case of a map stating all streets and house numbers.

I personally wouldn't mind street signs. If someone in trouble calls 911 and they are asked their location, it would be a lot simpler and QUICKER for emergency help to find them if the ones in trouble can acurately identify their location. Think about that if it should be one of your loved ones that were in trouble and needed emergency medical help.

Yes I love my island, and a lot has changed since I was a little kid when most of you summer visitors started coming here, but we had to deal with the chanages then, and I think all of us should be understanding enough to realize that things don't stay the same forever, and should except the changes that come along now that you're here. That's life, and progress happens. Sometimes you like it and sometimes you don't, but we all have to live with it. If we can't live with it, then we have a choice.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Road names Reply with quote

I attended the public hearing/ special meeting. I was the only person there to represent "the public".
I thought I had already posted all this, but it seems to have disappeared.
The following is all tentative.
A real estate promotional brochure by Collins had a map labeling the perimeter road Bob-Lo Drive. That name has been removed and replaced by it's original true name - Huron Drive. It will be Huron Drive from the curve in the Pines all the way to the curve at Rogers Corners were the road goes left toward Lake Mary.

The road from the curve in the Pines will be given it's original name of Sioux Ave. all the way to Sand Bay Rd. Sand Bay Rd. will stay the same. From Sand Bay Rd. to the West End it will be Lime Kiln Point Rd. The road on the North Shore that was labeled Bob-Lo Drive will get it's common name back - North Shore Rd. from the cross to Firetower Rd. Through the former Federal Reserve it will be called the North Shore Trail. VanVoorhees or Westcott Rd. will become Gobles Rd. The road through the apple orchard near the bar will be Apple Rd. Orchard Lane will become Rocky Rd.

There will be a grid overlay of the island that will be used to assign numbers. I didn't see exactly how it works, but the East West zero point is just West of the Firetower and Huron Rd. junction. Firetower Rd. will be called that all the way though to the North Shore.

This will all happen with the input and possible changes of some experts hired by the Twp.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds good to me. At least they are keeping some of the names that we have always called some of the roads. Did I read it right that Rocky Road will still be called Rocky Road? I'm wondering what they are going to call the Weiner Road, (lots of people call Bible Road) or is that going to be part of North Shore Road?
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that Collins renamed alot of roads with their map. I remember when they did that, and one of them being the Weiner Road. They labeled it Bible Road.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

Oh that is how the Weiner Road become Bible Road ..John and I talked about that last night ..

Thanks Mike for your time
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clover I have always called it the Weiner Rd. Too

I want to keep the island as free as we can ..I know there has to be rules but not to over do it .. keep the island safe ...

I was told some time ago that" it is not the same as it was when you lived here on the island" of course not .. we had a horse, chickens and rabbits for our kids when we lived in the pines .. but those days are over .. what I meant when I said I want freedom was not as living with no rules but keep the island as free as possibe ..from too many rules .. or overdoing it ..

I bet when all those people that drive that long road to the island feels that freedom when they get on the boat to head to the island and I bet too that most of them want to jump up and down and yell "Freedom"!! as soon as they step on the island dirt ...
Freedom from city lights, all the traffic , people everywhere .. beaches that are overloaded with people and the water too dirty to swim in ..they do not know anything else but I do ! ..cause I was one of the lucky ones to have swim in good ole cold Lake Huron ! and a whole lot of others things that we have to endure living off the island ..
The reason I am sharing all of this because now they want street signs ..
As far as what Mike shared with us ..its fine ..no problem but hopfully the signs blend in with the trees ..

I know that in the pines we all have street names ..Am i correct or not ??
I will have to find out what our road is called .it would be fun ..Dad bought our house from MR.S.R.Turner ( my Dad was working for him and he built our house) and on the house papers that mom has said that no negroes ( Black people)could live there .. I though wow that would not fly today !
The only black person when I was growing up that I was ever around was on the island was Hoovers Buttler and maid .. He would pull a neat cart down to the old dock and met the boat to pick up their groc. ...when he seen me he would say " Hi, how are you? fine thank you ...
anyone else remember that ??

will they put signs up on all the roads that people are living on??
If so that was my concern .again I will say if they do I hope they blend in with the trees ..

I agree with clover that the E.M.T. and firehouse need to know where we are at incase of a fire or if any one need medicial help.
Maybe looking at a map would work ..I hope ....

thank you Mike for going to the meeting and also thanks clover for your input ...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: again Reply with quote

I forgot to say that my parents live in a small village in Talkeetna alaska..

When I send them a pk. I tell U.P.S. that they live 75 feet east of the post office and they have no prolem with that ..
noone has house numbers there on their homes but they have street names ..
Just wanted to share that for not any real reason ..just think its neat ....

also I agree with Clover to keep the names of the roads that are already in place ..and when new places are built then pick a name for that street ..

that would be keeping part of history of the island ... what do anyone else out there feel about this ??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: names for roads Reply with quote

Only a few old farts like me remember Weiner Rd., named after the people who homesteaded the land before Bibles. The proposed name is Bible Rd.

Yes, Orchard Lane. is proposed to be Rocky Rd.

The one I don't like is Lime Kiln Point Rd. although there are no doubt those who love it, it is, and always will be, the West End Rd. in my mind. What I'm referring to is the straight part from Bible Rd. to the West End.

I have always capitalized West End and East End as the communities in that area of the island. Same thing with the North Shore and South Shore, although the North Shore community is long gone. The South Shore Community, in my mind anyway, is the longest, running from somewhere West of Sand Bay to somewhere East of the tavern. Others, no doubt, divide the island up differently.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's what happens when you have people on the board that haven't been here long enough to know what all of the roads have been called here for years and years.

I have written to the Clerk to ask that the Weiner Road, stay the Weiner Road, but we'll have to wait and see what happens and take what we get. But I'll still always call it that.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Orchard Lane. is proposed to be Rocky Rd.

Orchard Lane is what is shown on the original map of the subdivision. I have never-ever heard it called that. It has been Rocky Road for how many decades? So why change it.

Somehow I have a feeling it will be Rocky Road, regardless.

By the way, Rocky Road is not a country road. It is a private easement maintained 100% by the property owners. In being that, I believe we have the right to call it anything we choose or leave it Rocky Road until we decide otherwise. The twp may require private easements "with more than two houses" to be named. But the name is given by the property owners, not the township. It there is only one house then it is driveway"

edited for clarity

Last edited by Conis on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Mike said is that Rocky Road is going to stay Rocky Road, so that's good. Am I right Mike?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sort of partial to Lime Kiln Point Road for a couple of reasons, but mostly because it is more interesting and less generic than West End Road.

I also like Bible Road rather than Weiner, mostly because no matter how you pronounce Weiner (it either sounds like a hot dog or a annoying complainer), it just doesn't sound as good as Bible. I don't know anything about Weiner, but the Bibles certainly lived on that road a long time and are very much of the history of the Island.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: 100 % Reply with quote

Mike I feel just like you do !!
we grew up together and that is how we knew the island so it will always be how it is ...

Doug, I grew up with it called the Weiner Rd. and never thought of how it sounded or how to say it ..it was just the Weiner Rd.
also I would like it to stay the weiner Rd.
it was named after a family before our time and I think We should respect that familys name and leave it Weiner...

Clover should I write the township too ?? or the qustion should be this .. Can I voice how I feel if I am not a land owner/do not pay taxes ??? I
guess that answer would be under "freedom of speach "....

Mike I do not like the name Lime Kiln Road either

..I was wondering if the Westcott Rd. was changed to Gobles because that is where they lived ??? Gobles Michigan ..

Just remember who ever you are out there changing the Road Names from the "old names" on the map you are also changing the history of the island ... keep that in mind ..

Mike like you said we are the "old Farts" now so they need to take heed to what we are saying .. lol also Clover is not an "old fart" yet but she was BORN and RAISED there and is STILL there so that should count for alot ! Smile
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: reply to road names Reply with quote

"The road through the apple orchard near the bar will be Apple Rd. Orchard Lane will become Rocky Rd." [officially]

The Twp. was advised to name roads with two houses or more on it. Twps. do have some say over private roads in their Twp. There are a bunch of state regulations that give them that right.

George Westcott built the road for VanVoorhees. His payment for the work was a nice piece of property near the county road. He divided it up and built most of the homes on it that are there now. Both came from Gobles and that is how, because the township didn't want to choose between the two, they chose Gobles Rd.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds logical to me.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Twp. was advised to name roads with two houses or more on it. Twps. do have some say over private roads in their Twp. There are a bunch of state regulations that give them that right.

An interesting point worth a brief discussion: I think it has more to do with a county ordinance which Mackinac County may or many not have in place.

Beyond that, it amounts to getting property owners on these private easements to comply. County roads can be named whatever the twp or county so chooses. Private easements cannot.

Cheboygan County: I just went through this with Cheboygan county. I own two BFE lots with a common easement that traverses 12 lots. The easement is at the end of a seasonally maintained county road. There are no residences per se, A couple mobile home/hunting camps and 2 shacks. The other lots are vacant. The easement is dead end , gated with a huge sign at the entrance "PRIVATE DRIVE".

In comes the county deciding this easement needs a name that should be selected by a vote of all property owners. Then we needed to ante up $150 for a RED (indicating private road) street sign to be erected at the gate, which is normally locked. Since no one lives in there, lets just say the property owners were not happy about this cost or county intervention which seems based on the premise the county was doing this "because it could".

After a vote by property owners, selected were the following street names:

"Private Dr." (as it has been known for 50 years)
"No Name Trail"
"Keep The F Out Ave."
"Death Valley Road"
"No Exit Ever Trail"
"Shot On Sight Blvd"

No sign up yet and it has been a year. If one were put up, I doubt it would stand a day before being "returned to the County".

Gee whiz, what a bunch of cranky property owners. huh?

Here is the Cheboygan County Ordinance which could be identical to Mackinac County. (as drafted by the state)

http://www.mackinawtownship.com/pdf/street-number-ordinance.pdf

Check section V: Regulation, Part E pertaining to naming private easements by property owners.

Private Road/Driveways/and easements: All roadways with more than two structures using it for access or the possibility of access
must be named and all structures must be numbered off that roadway. Road Naming or road name changes are the responsibility of
the property owner(s). Determination is by simple majority of property owners.
The name must then be submitted to the Equalization
Department/GIS Division for approval. Approval will not be given for duplicate or confusing names (i.e. Golfview Dr and Golfview
Ln). A road sign meeting Road Commission standards (aluminum sheet with reflective sheeting; thickness of 0.08 inches; and the
reflective sheeting should have a red background with white numbers 2.5”) must be erected within 30 days. Costs and compliance
are the responsibility of the owner(s)/development

and

“Private road” means any thoroughfare, that is not a public road, but that is accessible to motor vehicle traffic and which affords the
principal means of access to abutting property and from which driveway access is thereby gained to more than one premises.

A gate at the point of access which denies public access by motor vehicles, voids the above clause.

Has anyone actually seen the County or Twp ordinance?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got their point across ..

Con thanks for the site ..give me some light on whats going on there on the island .......
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told that Mackinac County uses uniform code from the state when it comes to roads. But any work done still has to comply with the Great Lakes law. Do we on BBI even have a roads & bridges committee? Does the county? When and where do they meet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: