Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Special Mackinaw county Road Commission Projects on BBI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Special Mackinaw county Road Commission Projects on BBI Reply with quote

Ever wonder about the ditching projects going on around the main roads on BBI...I mean who "proposes" the projects, who checks them out and qualifies their necessity, who's word do they take as gospel, who 'ok's" the money for them, who actually does the work and who gets paid for the work?????

I was disgusted when I found out this past week how it all works. Everything was done on the up and up but it is a broken system that WASTES your money, my money, and every Mackinaw County citizens' money. In fact, there is only one beneficiary of these "necessary' projects.

I have called the township and filed my complaint. I also called the Mackinaw county Road Commission and complained to Dirk Heckman and Frank Lipnitz, both are involved with special projects.

As people struggle to even get on the island to travel the rugged roads, there are others making much more than a living creating unnecessary projects and putting a further burden on taxpayers.

The township minutes should reveal all of this and the "careful" steps taken before allocating money.

All I know is this: I have watched as the "Ditches to nowhere" project goes forward. And until now, I have not heard one word from anyone questioning what is going on...where is the money coming from...where is the money going...etc.

See Pictures in the BBI "Sharing' album.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to stir the pot here...

Rocky Road is a private easement and not maintained by the county. There are portions that always flood in the spring... so property owners have the option of living with it or fixing it.

The area you have shown is at the intersection of The Main road (now Huron Drive?) East of "Garden of Adams " at the curve. There is a natural depression there that collects water to the point of being a lake. It appears there is/was a culvert under the main road with the intended purpose of draining this puddle into Huron. Not working.

For it to work, a new culvert would have to be put under the main road and a trench through the berm to the Lake. Who knows what might happen in high water years? I guess "Garden of Adam" will have to live with the situation as is.

While on the island week before last, I noticed a new deep trench on the west side of the Snow Beach S curve, connected to an older trench which runs on the west side of and intersecting road (behind Stu Rikers, The dividing road between Snow Beach and Rocky Road subs.)

To me, the location of this new ditch looks sort of hazerdous to west bound Traffic on the main road. If someone doesn't make the curve, in they go.

Will there be a guard rail?
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: ditches Reply with quote

Conis:

Under two pictures are explanations. Read them.

There is no ditching near Rocky Road. Those photos simply show the magnitude of water on the roads April 24, 25, 26, 2008.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused John, what are the explanations under " two pictures.. " I just see
the captions of where they are located.. on all four photos.. did I miss something ?
Did you take pictures of the ditching that you state is now there.. ?

Uncle Steve
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: DTN Reply with quote

Open the pic to its largest size. Under the pic, is listed, Poster, pic title, pic description.

No, I do not have pictures of the ditches yet. No hurry. They'll be there for a long time......
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your info John...it is MACKINAC COUNTY ...not MACKINAW COUNTY Laughing
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: i Reply with quote

Hey I have been spelling it and calling it Mackinaw all my life and I lived there Smile
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Ditches to nowhere Reply with quote

Did I spell "Taxes" correctly"???
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John you spelled taxes right.... Laughing A lady in Mackinaw City told me the rule of thumb on the Mackinaw vs. Mackinac spelling. Everything from the bridge up is spelled with a c....below the bridge it's spelled with a w... otherwords...Mackinaw City ..... Mackinaw cutter.... Mackinac Island, Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac County. Hope this helps.

Have a nice day!!! Very Happy
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

I bet I heard that before ... Smile Islandnana .......

Thanks for the little reminder !!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys don't know nothing. Here is the real history.

This all goes back to 1813 when Sir Edmun Fitszwifter fell off a schooner in the straits of BFE and was viciously attacked by a school of Mackerel. He lost all his fingers and toes, gnawed of by the hungry mackerels. They are in the same fish family as piranhas.

Those on the South shore witnessing this attack, said “ EGADS! Mackerels are gnawing on Fitzwifter” and from then on called the straits Mackinaw, at least on the south shore

Those on the North side were farther away and simply saw the brutal Mackerel attack so they called the straits Mackattack, shortened to Mackinac because they were drunk most of the time.

I heard this story at a campfire one night and I know it is true because the guy who told it said his GGGrandndpa was Fitzwifter, which was his last name. So it must be true.

Wear shoes and gloves if you swim around Mackerels.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Ha HA Reply with quote

How Funny !! Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: