Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Happy Birthday!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Bois Blanc Island Site/Forum News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Happy Birthday! Reply with quote

The Bois Blanc Island Bulletin Board had it's first birthday on Friday, May 9th, 2003. #Bday Dan Reynolds was our first member signing on only four days after the site was up and running. We've now exceeded 120 members and continue to grow at a nice pace. Thanks to all who have contributed so much to this site to make it what it is. thumbs_up! Keep the wonderful history articles and island news coming. Also, feel free to share your pictures in the photo album. We all love to see them!

Rob
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Birthday #Bday
Jeff White
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Just wondering Reply with quote

I know you are real busy, most of us are but it has been Dan Reynolds birthday on the home page for six months. Isnt somebody else having a birthday? It would be sick if there was a mug shot of a newbe each month. Just a thought. JW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site had it's first birthday....

You do have a couple good ideas though.. Guess Rob will have to get someone to pay attention of those little details.. He is a busy guy.

As far as mugshots go.. The newbie will have to provide one.. Leebird provided several not too long ago.. We would hope most newbies would introduce themselves.. There have been several sign ups with no comments.. Any ideas to get them to post are appreciated..

How 'bout it, you new people?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Where was it my birthday for six months? I didn't see that. I do see where it says that the site had ITS first birthday this past year and I was the first member, but... ?? Confused

Dan
Jeff White
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: birthdays Reply with quote

Hey Dan R. Who was the second person on the site, think hard. Hope I did not burst your bubble. I was just saying why not have the third person to be on the site be recognized and so on. Just a thought. Oh Susie if you happen to see aunt Connie and uncle Lynn Twigg tell them I said hello.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do... I saw Aunt Connie yesterday.. They aren't going to the Island this visit.. Aunt Connie is worried about getting snowed in.. Don't blame her.. I've been close to stuck there a couple of times... Wish I had been but Mike and Al can always find a way!

Maybe we need some ground rules.. One community I go to requests you post something every 3 months to maintain your membership in the community or the administrators can consider you inactive and delete your membership..

We may even need some new pictures to get some conversation going.. I like how on MyFamily you can reply to a pic posted and the the post shows on the home page..

I could also post more of Grandma's poems about the Island.. She has several..

Any other Ideas?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff W, I don't know what I did to bring on your rather caustic attitude, but whatever it was, I apologize. That's not how this site was supposed to work. You did not "burst my bubble" or whatever and I bear no ill will to anyone here, so what's the problem? Confused Think hard.

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I don't believe Jeff is being caustic.. But that's only cuz I know him.. I don't believe he was targeting you personally or anything like that when he wondered about changes to the home page.. Guess he can stick up for himself.. Just don't want you to get off on the wrong foot.
Cool
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not... It's awfully hard to read someone's tone in an electronic message. Sorry if I'm overreacting. I just didn't understand what he was saying about 'bursting my bubble' or whatever it was. And he was talking about some part of the site where it had "been Dan Reynolds' birthday for six months"... Still not sure about that one either...! Anyway, not a big deal to me, I'm just here to chat about the Island. Everyone here has been very respectful and courteous, which is great for an online message board. I hope it stays this way!

So I'll start over, hopefully on the right foot this time... Hi Jeff, welcome to the Board. My name is Dan, and I have a little bit of property north of Thompson Lake. This will be my 32nd year visiting BBI.

Dan
louise
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those silent visitors.I use the Island page as my home site.Every time I hit the net I brouse this site first. I enjoy seeing the Island pictures and the chatter. I have been a summer person for more years than I am willing to admit to. The first of my family to land on the Island was my grandfather Floyd Sullivan in 1932.The Dodge side arrived a couple of years later.We have a picture of Grandpa,Dean Cox(my cousin) and dad(a teen age Paul Sullivan), on the big rock.Even back then the rock had a big draw.
This Dec I am going to fufill a life time dream,Winter on the Island.I will post my experiences from time to time. I know it will br cold,I know there will be lots of snow,I know that Gregg and I will need to cut wood(how many logs is ten cords?). After 5 years of North Carolina winters I hope I'm up to this, but I figure if not now, when?
My Island summers have been the best times of my life I expect the winters to be just as good,only different,really different.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Louise! Welcome.... I am glad to hear you are braving a winter.. Remember 2 things. Appropriate clothing and a reason to stay busy outside and you will enjoy it.. It can get too quiet sometimes but that was a big draw for me.. The year rounders stay busy with social activities.. Contact Clover or Lani for Quilting and they may still be doing a weekly breakfast.. That wood you have to move will help keep you warm twice! We did a lot of wood and hauled water everyday and did a lot of cross country skiing and snowmobiling to stay busy outside.. I envy your chance to experience it.. The Island is wonderful in the Winter..
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Dan, but it is hard to tell someones tone on an email, thats what the smiles are for I guess. Wink
Anyway, I think it should be required to make a post introducing yourself when you register as a user. Don't know if that is possible though, Rob? There are some users that have never made a post, I don't know about deleting them though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: In agreement... Reply with quote

I would agree with Dan in that I would have questioned what the intent of Jeff's message was all about. Several of us do not know you Jeff and I'm sure many of us haven't been going to the island as long as you or have relatives that live there. If you follow this sight and Dan's postings you would know that he does not have a bubble! This has never been a sight for me where I have had to worry about people being unkind, rude or inappropriate with other posters.
louise
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the way to get people to talk is to have a list of most frequently asked questions.Like,Where's your cabin,How long you've been visiting the Island,Do you have family and/or friends on the Island,Do you fish,Where do you fish,Do you catch much,What do you use as bait,Do you hunt,How many pounds/tons of rock have you carried off the beach,Do you have a sure fire repelent for black flies,Have you been to the big rock yet... The list could be endless.Take it from a somewhat shy person,barging into a conversation on the computer is almost as intimidating as walking into a party of strangers and singing Twinkle(thats another story).Maybe the webmaster could prime the conversational pump.Speaking of the webmaster,you are doing a great job,thank you.
Jeff White
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Island site emotions Reply with quote

Iam sorry I typed a little note nov. 28th-- Just wondering-just a thought and the only positive response is from Als sister- not because she is my sister but because she is smart. I implant a small note and soon I am a caustic attitude and I have a problem, quote Dan R. and to have someone say I am unkind,rude or inappropriate needs to have the dunce cap on-- and to ask someone if they have been to the big rock yet should get a grip on reallity. As you say, I was just wondering about changes to the front page, nothing more- nothing less. Everybody have a great xmas and a Happy new year from Washington state. JEFF
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. Maybe this is one subject that just ought to be left alone.. Seems this thread has changed from Happy Birthday to the site to an ideas thread to get more people to post.. I would like to start a new post with all these ideas under an appropriate heading.. Look for it under Ideas for Newbies to get Started... Love ya, Bro..
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone else that replied is an idiot? Your making a good case for yourself Jeff, way to smooth things over. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a total of 6 posts and have insulted 3 different people already. I agree, the first thing may have been a misunderstanding, but now you insult louise and bknoll for no reason. Plus, this whole thing got started because you thought it was Dan's birthday when it was the sites birthday. Who do you think is really wearing the dunce cap?
Slap
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No public forum would be complete without a little :rant: bickering once in a while and I knew it would happen here eventually. Shrug Oh well. This has been a friendly place in the past and I'd like to see it continue that way. If you can't say anything nice, please don't say anything. If you read a post that offends you, please let the poster know via the private message system. If somebody is harrasing you via the private messaging system please let me know. Since the written word can be interpretted (sp?) in many different ways, please use the Emoticons :wave: to convey the "feeling" of your message. If you can't figure out how to use the private messaging or emoticon features make a post in the Comments/Questions/Suggestions section and somebody will be able to walk you through the process.

Thanks to all for your future cooperation. :cheers:

Time for this thread to die.

Rob
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Bois Blanc Island Site/Forum News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: