Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

UPDATE FOR THE GYNAC / GIGNAC FAMILY HISTORY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: UPDATE FOR THE GYNAC / GIGNAC FAMILY HISTORY Reply with quote

PHILIPPE GIGNAC / GYNAC BORN ABT. 1860 around TRIOS-RIVIERES, QUEBEC, CANADA. His Occupation was a Forestier, and this may be why he was said to have lived on BBI. He and his 1st wife Philomen (Anna) Courtois had a large family of about 14 or more children.
Some children born in Canada - Philippe jr. , Delia , Charlotte , Anna -my G-Grandmother), girls missing in between 1883-1888 Virginnie & Fern or Grace.
Children born in Cheboygan Michigan - Walter , Angeline , Clara, Belle, Joseph(Arnold), Catherine, Cecilia, (2nd Joseph, (2nd Angeline. All born to Philip's 1st wife Anna Courtois.
1 child (Henry) born from the 2nd marriage to (Rosanna Durocher - Desrosiers).
No children born to his 3rd marriage to Eva Fitzpatrick- Weese.
The 1920 Fed. ceneus shows Philip and Henry living in Beaugrand Twsp.
Cheboygan Mi. Newspaper clipping May 11, 1933 - marriage License issued May 6th to Alfred La Plaunt / Cinderlla V. Murtaugh. And Henry Gynac / Ethel R. Wolf. both of the same city. I now have info. that Henry was the mail carrier not his Father Philip.
Hope fully someone might be reminded of this large family as my research continues. Thank you all for your time Rolling Eyes
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Plaunt Reply with quote

I think you need to get hold of one of the old island residents, Ray Plaunt. He may have some memories to share. There are few left.

Phone 231-627-7980

710 Foote Road
Inverness Township
Cheboygan, MI 49721
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Old News brings good News Reply with quote

Thank you for the Info.
I will try to contact and send pictures of Henry Gynac In his younger days.
I'm not sure , but didn't the La Plaunt Family own and operate the ferry out to BBI in the past ?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Plaunt Reply with quote

I don't know if LaPlaunt and Plaunt are the same family. You need to talk with the Plaunts about that. Here is a link to the Plaunt history of their business:

http://www.bbiferry.com/history.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: