Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Stitts Reply with quote

Thanks, Familyman for that correction on the name. They came to live on the land much like our ancestors did, much like our constitution intended. Wow, did they get a double barrel of township whoopass.

I think the philosophy that got them in trouble was, "Not in my backyard". Heaven forbid someone run a farm in "vacation paradise island."
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but you are only hearing part of that story. Those people were trouble...I found out first hand thank you.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: John Engel Reply with quote

I suggest that on your next trip you stop by the former Stitt property. Walk back into the woods behind their house and check out the trash they left behind. Lead acid batteries, tires, etc. Then spend some time Googling their path through the welfare world.

Report back with your findings. And feelings.
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last week, it was disclosed that the land the Stitts own could be worth 2 million dollars when subdivided. Since the Stitts cannot comply with the court's order to cleanse the land and return it to its original pristine condition, the job to do so will likely fall to the township. The contract to clean up the Stitt property will be given to Island Contractors, owned by the husband of Clover Schlund, the clerk of the township and the chief antagonist against the Stitts. The estimated cost of cleanup will be far greater than the Stitts can pay. The land will be confiscated in lieu of payment. The township will enrich itself by obtaining the 37 acre property from the Stitts and ridding themselves of the Stitt family by this means.

According to this article the site was supposed to be cleaned up and paid for.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Stitts Reply with quote

This conversation is a good one. I do not know all the details. Each entry informs not only me but others reading.

I do not know about the trash or the welfare record. But the trash piled in the woods would definitely NOT be the first junk pile created on BBI. These dumps, acres large or small mounds, can be found everywhere.

Don't be afraid to write details. Is someone going to get upset? I found it interesting.
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all of these threads, as a new property owner on the island, I will have to say I am a little sick... WTF...
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A biased report for sure.. The township officials are required and have been ordered to keep quiet about details on this case so you won't hear from anyone involved on it..

I do know that from the beginning the township wanted to work with the Stitts but the continued violations by the Stitts in not obtaining proper permits, ect. forced the township to follow the letter of the law..

The Stitts didn't have to make it so tough on themselves and would probably still be there if they had followed the law.. It got ugly and the Stitts invited the militia in to make a stand and tried very hard to avoid following the requirements set forth by the State and Local Laws.. It was the Stitts not the Township officials that decided to try their luck else where..
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no dealings with the Stitts at all. All of what I heard was probably 80% rumor....and everyone knows what that is like on the island. Anyone can say what they want and write what they want here but I heard many times that some people would have done anything to get them off the island.

I don't know about the codes they didn't follow...all of this is coming from my gut and other people's words. It was a big mess and there are many still angry about it. Probably should leave it alone.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: New property owner Reply with quote

ctrevor007: Don't Panic. The trashing of the island with old cars, batteries, tires, and other junk is, for the most part, in the past. Our township has been and is making efforts to clean problem areas on the island. My hat is off to them for their efforts. Private citizens can point out problems to the township.

The present danger to BBI's beauty is the clearing of shorelline trees and flora for the "view of the water" As destructive as this is to the island beauty, there are shoreline properties that utilize this brainless approach to land change. Although most do not lump this destruction together with trash dumps, I do. Trash can be removed. Re-growing trees that are one or two hundred years old aint happening. As a new land owner, will you contribute wisely to the land or follow outdated traditions?

Perhaps we will meet sometime. you've got my name.
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were gonna have veggies for sale next summer.. Stop by and get some.
The Stitts should of had the township spot zone thier property agricultural.
Seems to be the norm around here..
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: veggie stand Reply with quote

You guys did have a beautiful looking garden this past summer. I do not know how the beauty of vegetable gardens could ever be construed as something bad....unless 200 yr old trees have to be cut...but then those trees could build an out building...with a permit of course. Confused
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: My View Reply with quote

Here is my view. Call me biased if you want.

We tried our best to become friends with the Stitts. We visited them, rode in the cart behind the oxen, ate dinner with them, and bought their eggs.

One moment I especially remember, was after eating a nice meal at their place. They had started butting heads with the township over getting permits and building to normal standards. I mentioned that I had build my own house myself and had bent over backwards to comply with the regulations, because everything goes so much smoother that way. I was implying that all they had to do was just get along and go with the flow like everyone else did. It was a subtle suggestion that they did not heed.

It all revolved around complying with building and zoning. All the rest is/was propaganda. They knew how to get people to feel sorry for them by spreading tales,and people believe that which they want to be true.

Another group who knew how to get people to feel sorry for the Stitts with false tales was the Michigan Militia. I believe that the news article posted here was written for the Stitts by the militia. This propaganda was spread around the globe to other militias. If you go on the internet and google the name Stitt, you will still find all their crap.

They made many people believe many false things and it appears that once people make up thier minds, rightly or wrongly, they will not change it.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Experiences with the Stitt Family

I always found them to be pleasant and kind.

I bought eggs and bread and perhaps even a pie from them.

They offered to cart my wife and I, and our entire wedding party from the old sawmill on the West End, to our reception on the beach, on a beautifully decorated wagon, pulled by their beautiful oxen team. When I tried to compensate them monetarily, for taking a large chunk out of their day, bringing their rig down to the West End etc....., they were appalled quite frankly, and said they would never accept payment for helping out a neighbor on his wedding day.

Once, while mountain-biking around the island with some friends, one of my friends, who is a diabetic, began to fear that he would 'pass-out', due to hypoglycemia. He took off, ahead of the rest of us, in search of some food to boost his sugar levels. I reassured the women with us, that I would catch up to him and ensure his safe arrival at Hawk's Landing. (We were on Firetower Rd., near the North Shore.) When I had ridden hard to the Stitts, and had not yet encountered my friend, I became worried. I asked Christine Stitt if she could help me look for my friend. ( I wasn't sure if he had gone the wrong way, or collapsed in a ditch.....) She said she couldn't leave at the moment...she had a baby napping or something....but she said 'There's not much fuel in that old pick-up truck outside, but take it, and go find your friend.' I did, and discovered that he had in fact, made it to Hawk's for a sandwich and a pop. I put some fuel in the truck for the Stitts, went and retrieved the women, who were still pedaling through swarms of mosquitos on Firetower, and have felt grateful for Christine Stitt's kindness ever since.

Just thought I'd add some of my positive personal experiences with the family in question.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West End Piper something you and I can agree upon. My family always got along with the Stitt Family, they would give you the shirt off their back if you were a friend. We went to see them in Alaska when we were up 1 1/2 years ago.

One mans trash is an other man's gold mine.

And from what I can remember they tried to change their property into a farm but because they were 1/2 acre short of 40 acres the township wouldn't let them.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Stits Reply with quote

I did not know the Stit family at all. I never bought anything from them. I had no opinion about them.

I knew they sold eggs and other food stuffs. They were expelled. And at that point I simply figured that they must have not followed some laws and rules.

I am learning that this episode was very heavy and took an emotional toll on those involved.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Wrong! Reply with quote

They were not expelled. They had made so many enemies and owed so much money to others, that they cut and run leaving behind their debts.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear the money issues Mike. I believe that they were into Curt for a couple grand. They did pay me for the boat they bought, maybe that was because they were good friends with my Mom and Dad.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of ours lives in Hesperia, Michigan where the Stitts come from. He has told us all kinds of stories about how they ripped people off. They were also trying to do that with some of the elderly people on the island. I was on the school board for awhile and had dealt with the Mother through the teacher...I was there....I know first hand how she could be and it was not nice. I will end it at this as I could go on and on....believe what you must but it would take a lot to change my mind on these people.
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a family on the island right now that sells chickens,eggs,cheese,rabbit meat etc etc etc. Is this the same family?
They have a garden and all kinds of stuff for sale, do they have permits?

I believe they are also the family that cut down another property owners trees for there driveway.
I hope they are following the same guidelines that this other family had to follow. I dont know either party and have no opinon its just a question
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing is like the previous writer wrote how come the township took there property for repayment and contracted someone to clean up the mess but never did the job. . How can you take someones house because its a mess but then never clean it up.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: food stuffs Reply with quote

KELLY, from what I've read and learned from the Stitt discussion, is that the food didn't seem to be the major issue. Permits, code violations, and non-payment issues, and perhaps trash on the property, seem to be bigger problems. I believe as you seem to. If we want to buy chickens, or eggs or pies from a neighbor, we should have that right. Non-payment of taxes, ferry fees, etc. are bigger problems...and I must say, I do not know if any of these Ive mentioned were non-payment issues...I'm using them as logical examples.
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked them up on google. Sounds like this was a huge mess. I don't know the details but i should probably stay out of it
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's nice to buy eggs etc it's part of why we love the island. The close community
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Propaganda Reply with quote

Militia propaganda is what that letter was. The township never even threated to take their home. The courts, I believe made them clean up. If you drive up Firetower road past Smith's a short way, you will come to a sharp curve to the right. On that curve is a trail going Westerly onto what was the Stitt property. That is where they stored a lot of their stuff I have heard. I've always wondered how much junk is back in there.

BBIBAB's, did you know that the Petoskey hospital took that boat for nonpayment of money owed?

The memory is fading in my mind. I would like it to continue doing that.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Stitt mess Reply with quote

Knowing you two, Mike and Lani, and catching a hint about the negative energy this fiasco pulled from you, I am sorry I brought it up. But more importantly, I have learned a lot more information about the situtation. That isnt a bad thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: