Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Need Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peggyann
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Need Info Reply with quote

Smile My Dad is giving me a lot on Bois Blanc that he inherited many years ago. The lot was won by his great uncle in a raffle at a theater in Detroit or Chicago - I'm unsure which, at least this is the family legend. The lot is in Bob-Lo gardens. I would love to have any info. Our family actually attempted to locate the lot sometime in the mid 60's.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have the lot number (indicated on tax ID?)

Many of BBI's subdivisions were platted 100 years ago and are comprised of numerous tiny 35x50' lots, Not large enough to build anything on unlesss you own several. On the maps, roads are often shown that were never put in.

This is what I call "conceptual real estate" It is known to exist, but exacly where is an educated guess short of paying for survey work. Often the cost of a survey can equal or exceed the value of a single lot.

Your best bet would be to do some homework, get the plat map for bob-lo gardens and reference where your lot might be, to any recent surveys (developed lots) in that subdivision.

If "a" (single) lot was won in a raffle decades ago, you can bet it didn't have much value "back then" and may not now because of zoning restrictions (too small). Many of the single lots in these antique plats have reverted back to the township or state.

I don't want to discourage you, but this sounds like what you have. If it is one 35x50 lot, you can't do anything with it except camp on it. You can camp for free elsewhere on BBI and not pay property taxes. If you wanted to sell it, contact an adjacent lot owner.

It's there, somewhere.
c
peggyann
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Conis Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply. This is about what I expected. My Dad has been paying property taxes for 55+ years, mostly out of sentimental reasoning. If anyone has a contact for acquiring a plat map I would appreciate the link. I have been unable to find an internet site. I do have the lot # and am curious as to the location. In the 60's my family drove from Louisiana to Cheboygen, ferried across and started walking. A wonderful lady, named Peggy, picked us up and drove us around. We went to someone else's house (all I remember is a fabulous collection of quilts on the beds and hanging from the rafters) to look up the property. We were unable to get to the actual location. My mom and Peggy communicated for years thereafter. I was mid-teens and the island left quite an impression on me. As my Dad is now ready to pass the lot on, I will probably continue paying the taxes as well. This property has meant alot to him.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the maps, but can't get to them until spring. They are in our cottage. I will send you a PM with our contact information.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many on this site that can, and will, try to help you figure out where this lot is. there are many that have access to the older plat maps or know how to access them. (ie Lighthouse and others).

I didn't want to sound discouraging or pessimistic in my response. What you likely own on BBI is an old/small sliver of land that exists by decription on a 100 year old plat map.

Still worth a look and a little research, if only for fun. I don't think you won the lottery. But who knows?
c
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching for my property since I purchased this summer...

I will say, it's been fun trying to locate it though!

Sooner or later, I will step foot on my lot. (I know I have either been on it or within 50 ft. or so)

I will be paying for a survey this spring/summer though.

Anyone else interested in getting a survey this spring/summer, send me a message, maybe we can help each other out.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been told, there are two survey companies that do (or have recently done) most of the recent work on the island, One in Onaway and the Other in St Ignace. Don't ask me names/numbers.

If you want a break, don't "hire a survey" but approach them "by the way, while you are out there, no hurry". If they can do several jobs in one trip, "no hurry" basis, you will save some $$$. If you need it yesterday, special trip over...bend over.
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want a break, don't "hire a survey" but approach them "by the way, while you are out there, no hurry". If they can do several jobs in one trip, "no hurry" basis, you will save some $$$. If you need it yesterday, special trip over...bend over.

Thanks for the advice.. I have been in contact with a couple firms that has performed surveys on the island by doing a little investigating. They actually gave me the same advice, and told me to try and find someone else to pitch in with me, therefore, my previous post...
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev,
I did some homework for you and I found out its the lot right next to the transfor station. (The dump) Matter of fact the township has its dumpsters half on your lot. Maybe you can use thier driveway... Laughing
Looking forward to seeing you guys when you cross the ice... Have a great day.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how accurate you need to be, you can do your own survey if you are reasonably proficient with a GPS ( using one isn't rocket science, if you study the manual a little). Begin from an established reference point ie formal survey marker. Measure from there.

Best to try and do this in the spring before the trees leaf out. You will get better accuracy. Newer GPS units can often get you within 5' or less. A metal detector to find buried stakes is another useful tool

Mike White and I spent a day last spring measuring, and locating earlier survey markers on a lot I owned north of Lake Thompson. It worked out pretty well. If you intend to build, I would have it professionally surveyed first, just to be on the safe side.

Where is your lot located?
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the laugh there 3-putt... Shocked
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is your lot located?

My lot is located over in the Crystal Beach Subdivision, approx 1,000 ft off from road, across the road from the Crystal Beach Sub. Beach access, before Isle of View, and after the driveway with the large 5 wheel parked.
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev, Got a metal detector you can use. Stop by and get it in the spring.
Willie is threating to come up in the next few days. Ice bridge is 10" thick or better all the way across. w/5 inches of snow on top. Best one in 5 years.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: a start Reply with quote

Conis was being generous with the lot width. Most are 30 feet wide.

First you need to know which Bob-Lo Gardens the lot is in. Gather together the information on the title or tax receipts. Then go to this site:

http://www.cis.state.mi.us/platmaps/sr_subs.asp

Put Mackinac County in the box. When you get the list of plats, scroll down and pick the correct bob-Lo Gardens. That should give you a start.

These subdivisions were surveyed. Many intersections of roads are marked, but the roads were never put in.

If you can let us know which Bob-Lo Gardens, the block and lot numbers, then we can at least give you an idea of what kind of land it is. Many of those lots are in deep cedar swamps, but some are not bad.

The township says you can build on a lot of record. It may be buildable.
peggyann
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the plat site. Our lot is in Bob-lo Gardens, Addition 2, Block 41, Lot 6. I would love to know the general terrain.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: info Reply with quote

I live nearby at Sand Bay and I have hunted the area where the lot is at.

It is a 30x100 lot. It fronts on 5th street on the plat. It is the sixth lot northerly of Snohomish St. There is a trail that goes right through that area. I believe it was a logging trail made by the Sand Bay lumbering operation and is not a subdivision road. I can't be certain, but it stands a good chance of being in mixed forest and not in a cedar swamp. There are no homes anywhere nearby.

The state can't stop you from having a trail to your land. I say that, because most of the lots have reverted back to the state. One thing you can do is contact other owners of single lots and buy them. Then you swap the purchased lots with the state and consolidate your holdings in one area of your choosing.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the site I used to locate my approximate location of my lot.

3 putt, yeah I hear Hazzy and Chaz may be coming as well. Wish I could come. Not sure if my 79 arctic cat would survive the trip. Its in great condition, but I would never keep up with their sleds, and boy would it be a bumpy ride!

Maybe Hazzy will invite me next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: