Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions 2008-09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the word safe should be used. My own personal guideline is 3 inches for walking and 4 inches for a snowmobile, IN CALM WEATHER. 4 inches of ice can be blown away easily in the Straits. The weather forecast plays into the decision to cross or put in a treeline. A strong East wind can take out 2 foot thick ice. In that situation, 2 feet is unsafe.

The three major factors are thickness, weather, and the hidden currents under the ice.

The decision to go for it this time, was based on 5 inches of uniform thickness and a cold wave lasting for a few more days at least. It is all a gamble. next week it is supposed to go above freezing. If the warmth lasts only a few days, the ice should be OK. If it lasts longer, who knows what will happen.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Ice Reply with quote

I used that web site previously posted to make a picture.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2453

As predicted on the 11th, the treeline is in before the weekend.
We completed putting in trees today, Friday, Jan. 16.

The Tree Line Is In

Last edited by mikewhite on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: MIKE Reply with quote

VERY WELL EXPLAINED !!

NO RISKS TAKEN !

REPECT THE ICE/WATER .. IT CAN TAKE YA FAST !!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article on the ice bridge:

http://www.cheboygannews.com/homepage/x1898857233
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading the artical ..it was refeshing to hear the american flag is flying on the ice bridge ..
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Ice Bridge/Global Warming/consumption Reply with quote

Well said Mike. I do not care about the hot or cold either. It is a 1000 yr or maybe even a 2000 yr cycle. Whatever. Those that believe human activities has nothing to do with the Global Warming, also do not want to reduce consumption which causes pollution. Pollution of the air, water, and land, is for all intents and purposes, permanent for me, my children and grandchildren. Since I'm 57, Ive got 20 yrs plus/minus. My Son and daughter have 50 or so and my grandchildren have 70-80 yrs...MERE BLIPS IN TIME! And for that reason alone, I buy into the scientists that have done Polar Ice cap core samples that go back 10,000 yrs and they can see the influence of the recent (last 500 yrs) massive burning of fossil fuels. Human activities pollute the earth. And the number one consumer of fossil fuels is the USA.

Turning ones back on the "theory" of global warming means denying the fact that our actions are without consequences.

Explain to me why the breast milk of women living in Greenland, one of the most isolated areas on earth as far as automobiles, or industry is concerned, have the HIGHEST levels of mercury? Levels that doctors say are toxic to the very babies they breastfeed. They do not burn gasoline or coal. Do American citizens have a responsibility to these people?

The Ice Bridge to greenland melted, I heard.
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go again. If I don't beleive in global warming I want pollution.
This is from the DailyTech.com. It's a science website. All four major global temperature tracking outlets -- Hadley, NASA's GISS, the UAH, and the RSS -- have data showing that global temperatures have dropped big-time. Does this mean that Algore is out of a job? More snow and ice cover the northern hemisphere than at any time since 1966. The 12-month long drop in global temperatures this past year has wiped out one century of warming. We went up one degree Celsius, we think, in 100 years, in one century. In one year, it's been wiped out.
"Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on. No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously," a degree in one year.
New data from these four major global temperature tracking outlets show that world temperatures last year dropped .75 degrees Celsius, large enough to wipe out virtually an entire century of warming. "Multiple researchers have linked global temperatures to levels of solar activity. This all may be due to a changing solar cycle.
Finding ways to save energy, reduce pollution, decrease our dependency on foreign oil, is and always has been, in our best interest. Panicking, dramatically changing our lifestyles, giving the government unnecessary powers is not.
You guys want to believe in science as long as it benefits your agenda.
Iím in the energy savings business. I save businessí thousands of dollars and energy. Itís all market driven. The main reason the decision is made is $$$$. As we develop new technologies to improve the efficiencies of electrical devises and make them cost effective they will be implemented. I read a report the other day that if we were to retrofit all the streetlights across the country with Induction or LED, we could eliminate all the coal burning plants in the US. Problem is, 22 year payback. The good news is the cost per watt of energy efficient lighting is dropping weekly. Yes John, there is HOPE on the horizon, but it is driven by the free flow of ideas and markets, not Chicken Littles.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can argue that buring fossil fuels contributes to global polution? As JEE mentioned, Mercury and other contaminants have been found in places they couldn't have gotten unless airborn. Ice core samples support this. If anyone can prove to me that breathing polluted air is good. I would like to hear that arguement.

LIKEWISE... Until it was thought we were on the verge of a global meltdown, conventional wisdom had us headed into another ice age... and that still might be the case, pollution, greenhouse gases and etc. The scientists cannot agree. We have what? 100 years of data? And this model is enough to decribe trends lasting millineums? Isn't that a tad arrogant?

I just read a lengthy report suggesting that during the recent warming period on earth, that all other planets appeared to be warming as well. Don't ask me how this is determined. It suggests solar activity being the cause for whatever reason it "was"... and I don't think there is a hell of a lot we can do about it if this is fact.

Further confusing issues is the fact that with warming OR cooling, there will be global climate shifts. And this we have seen. There waill always be climate shifts... because there has always been climate shifts.

Honestly, I have no opinion. I can read good science, bad science and still know doodly. What the expert scientists don't know outweights educated guesses in both directions.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: ice crossing Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

How are the snow conditions on the island? Are there many people using the crossing? Is Hawks open on weekends and do they have gasoline? I would like to come up in a few weeks so would like to check on current conditions. Wish I was there right now but hope to see you soon!

Thanks,

Veva
strait lines
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Hawks be open for super bowl sunday? Also, Where does the ice bridge start at in Cheboygan?
Todd...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: bridge Reply with quote

Snowmobiling has been excellent. Hawks is open on the week-ends and they have gas. Open until 8pm.

It looks like quite a few have been crossing the "ice bridge to nowhere".

Go West out of Cheboygan towards Mackinaw City a few miles and you will come to a road crossing, Pries Road. Turn right and you will see the trail going out on the lake. Parking is the big problem. There isn't any. One option is unload near the railroad grade behind Walmart, park at Walmart, take the grade/trail out to Pries Road, go right across the highway and onto the lake.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Hi All Reply with quote

Another option, and one I've used several times since Mr. Burton quit letting people park at the taxidermy shop, is to park at the boat launch near the mouth & fallow the shoreline east to the ice bridge. I've parked there 6 times in the last 3 years and have not received a ticket or any negative feedback. I park next to a truck and trailer sign, with my truck and trailer Cool
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: car/truck crossing Reply with quote

Has anyone Recently crossed with a 4x4 truck or car... Is the ice thick enough for that type of crossing ? Question Question

Uncle Steve
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

I ment Fallow the shorline West : )
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: West not East Reply with quote

Boy! I'm sure glad you corrected that. If you go East, you would be crossing the mouth of the Cheboygan river. Very unsafe. I did it when I was young and thought I could not die. Almost went though.

Stay out away from the shore going West from there. The outflows from the creeks could get you.
At other times, you look out from that park and see nothing but open water, and yet the ice crossing further West is OK.

Uncle Steve, the last check indicated about 15 inches and the expansion crack is minimal. You could do it right now. It is supposed to warm up though, so I can't predict next week. I'm assuming you mean a 4x4 full size truck.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I always hear about snow machines, but never about cars etc. Do people not think it is a good idea ? I am actually thinking about driving a jeep across, but possibly I held off to long with the warm weather now upon us for a period of time... You can loose alot of ice with these temps.. Laughing Laughing

Uncle Steve
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, your insurance ends on the vehicle the second it is on the ice.. Shocked Probably why most won't try it.. I can bet there has been many a truck that have crossed that ice in the old days..
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: ALSO Reply with quote

YUP and MY DADs TRUCK went though THE ICE ... Victor Babcock was with him and I want him to tell me the story again ..its been a long time ago since I heard that story ...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: inventions Reply with quote

When they invented cars, people stopped using horses. When they invented snowmobiles, people quit using cars to cross the Straits. One major problem was finding a way to get them on and off the ice. Another was rough ice and fining a way through.

One of the last cars that I know of that crossed was Vye Feeley's Nash Rambler, called the Moby Duck. That was quite a few years back.

When they did cross with cars, there were two rules. Carry planks to cross unexpected cracks, and keep the windows down in case you start going through. You can make a quick escape, maybe.

I recall riding in the teacher's Model A coupe on the straits. There was a crack about a foot and a half wide. We didn't have planks, so decided to go as fast as we could. We got up to maybe 30 mph and when we hit the crack the front skipped right over, but the back tires went down in for a split second. We went from 30 to almost zero in a split second. The momentum was just enough that the wheels popped up out of the crack and there we sat motionless on the opposite side.

I've always wondered why the rear end wasn't ripped right off that Model A. Ahh, the good ol days. Theeislandgirl's future husband was the driver.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: on Reply with quote

Hey Mike
when we are driving up to michigan I will ask John about that .give us more to talk about LOL we are leaving pretty soon ..

see ya !
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Global warming/icebrigge Reply with quote

Mike, you not only skipped over a crack in the ice, you skipped a crack at death. Wow! That was some story.

Familyman, I enjoyed your post. Just one comment, I do not think anyone is panicking. To improve our earth, we must start to CHANGE our habits now. Changing from one energy source to another, as you know, will take a long time. Therefore a sense of urgency is necessary to get it done.

Familyman, have you read the State of Michigan's fish advisory? As many know, it advises a limit of how many meals of each species of fish a child, a woman, a pregnant woman, and a man should eat each week. Mercury is the primary culprit. The toxic levels is the result of 200 years of burning. So if we do not start changing our habits, perhaps even panic, we will not see any real improvement.

Every millionaire that makes his fortune by NOT polluting the earth is my kind of free market hero. Old energy companies, propped up by our Fed. Gov., are the problems.

50 degrees by Tuesday. OMG, global warming and the sky is falling and the ice bridge is melting!!!!
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was told today that a part timer (non resident) drove his full size pick-up across the ice yesterday. Checked it out and it was true.
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you gonna try that bridge out Mad dog. I'll come over and get you if you want.. lol Question
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: try out bridge Reply with quote

As soon as I can get off the leash.
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont blame your wife. Grow some nads Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: