Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Township Website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Township Website Reply with quote

I wanted to let everyone know that there is the beginnings of a township website. It is basically an empty shell at this time. check it out at:

www.boisblanc.org
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is putting things on the website? We would be interested in placing our business on it. Do you know who we contact? thanks
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious--does anyone know where that picture on the BBI website came from? It makes the island look much less flat than it looks to me.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Some help Reply with quote

Cheryl Gahn, Treasurer, has been involved. What I have been told is that this was a school project by some kid in college somewhere. The class involved setting up a web site. Now that it is set up the township must take it over and supply the site with all the township information.

The picture at the top could have come from anywhere in the world.

The site will only be good if it is well fed. (with information) Rolling Eyes
Samspath
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance...

Why is there Beaver Island stuff on the BBI township website?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like whoever designed the site used Beaver Island's website as the template for BBIs and didn't bother to change the Beaver Island info. I suppose that is a picture of Beaver Island as well--anyone know?

I know it is a work in progress, but I sure would like to see the Beaver Island info removed and BBI info put in. I don't want to be too critical, but it is a bit embarrassing.

I think it would make good sense for the site to have a link to this site since most of the info about the island is here.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: More Info Reply with quote

While showing the home page of the site in Internet Explorer, click on View and then Source. You should find the name of the maker there and other mysterious stuff. If you can't find View, you might need to turn on the menu bar. In Version 7, it would be found under Tools on the right side of the screen.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: post Reply with quote

I really like the picture that "whoever" put on the new web site ...

It does not need water or all trees just cause its suppose to be a island web site .. I like !!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theeislandgirl,

I think it is a nice picture, but because it appears to be of an island that does not look lie BBI, it is a bit misleading.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: island Reply with quote

Doug ..

I went back and read posts and I understand that it has the same or about .picture.. like Beaver Island ...

Then I agree with you !! It should not look like another island ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: f Reply with quote

Nothing has changed with the township website so it never got off the ground..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: New Township Website Reply with quote

I talked to Cheryl Gahn, treasurer, last night. She said that only a short time ago a new township site was started. She gave me the address. Here it is:

http://boisblanctownship.org/

It is a big improvement.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: the Reply with quote

thanks for the addy ..

The picture of the group is really nice ...
the flags and desk looks very nice .... too
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: New ATV? Reply with quote

What's the skinny on the proposed new police/fire ATV? Let's see, there are now two big Ford, 4-wheel drive sheriff trucks and now there is wind of a purchase of a new ATV. No info from any official on the only direct info location for property owners.

I'm sick of subsidizing unnecessary projects/equipment without any say-so!! We've got to change this system.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then become a permanant resident so you can have a say.. I know you understand how the system works.. Shocked
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: ATV Reply with quote

1st- That great ATV that the township law dept. has, was given to them by the County.

2nd- The Firefighter's Association (think Fun Day) have been saving for years toward getting a large ATV. Has anyone noticed the boot always set near the end of the food line for maybe 12 years. The donations from that boot are to go toward that ATV in addition to any other money made at Fun Day. This is the way it was when I was involved anyway. The ATV purchased is donated to the township. This is how the rescue unit was acquired a few years ago.

Therefore: No taxes for ATV's.

Note: The plan, as I have heard, is to mount a pump, hose, foam system, etc. on the ATV, for a quick response unit that can go into hard to get places and down on the shore.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ATV seems like a useful tool for the fire department to have.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Dan.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: ATV Reply with quote

Two thumbs up for the ATV paid for through donations, fun day money, and miscellaneous.

Its great to see such a quick response. Thanks, Mike.

Who pays for the insurance, gas, and maintenance?

Als sister, who had a say so in the Ditches to Nowhere? Not even residents had a word in that. That's what I'm talking about.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home owners and others need a way to access the Internet. Some like the "Dark Age" aspect of the island....I do too. But it is time to get it together and get a provider of fast internet (not dial-up) ...especially for those of us who live in the woods...or those who visit the woods and would like to check their email, do banking, and other business.

It is time people!!!! Make your ideas known to the Township!!!!

We need a group to do this and I think their are enough of us that can make this happen.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: internet duhicky Reply with quote

The slickest way I have seen is to get internet is to get a cell phone with internet service, that you connect to your computer. Barb Schlund has that set up right now. I've also seen this thing-a ma-jiggy advertised on tv that you plug into the USB port on your computer.

I suppose that if you can get cell service at your place in the woods, you can get internet.

I don't think the township will buy you internet service like that.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. I would have to sit on the beach to use my computer...no cell phone service in the woods.

I wasn't suggesting that the township should "buy" anything. The Township should listen to the people...I know that others have asked about internet. There has to be a way, and our "Governing body" should check out all options!

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Verizon version that plugs into the usb. Used it last fall and it worked on the east end. Only in certain spots where cell phone works.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Tower Reply with quote

When I worked for the school district and they were looking for a way to get internet, I studied the different ways. I concluded that the best way was for them to put up a tower that reached above the trees back in Gibson park. The cost would be shared by the township who would share in the service. They would have line of site service from Cheboygan which is the fastest here. This was proposed at a meeting of the School board.

I have suggested on this site in the past that someone should put up a tower. The signal could be connected to a phone number for dial up service. This requires money and headaches with little or no return.

It would require money for the township to supply internet to the island. I suppose you could petition for a levy of millage toward that goal. Try that and see if others agree that a tax be levied for internet service.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I went to the internet through my cell phone...didn't work at Bob's house so I had to go back to my house. It was so slow I could've cleaned the whole house while I was waiting for it to go from one site to another....expensive and wasn't worth my time. Now I have Hughesnet and it works fine. You have to have a 2 year service with them but you can suspend it for 6 months while you're away for the winter months......therefore it will take 4 years to get that 2 year plan but with no other way to get internet in the woods it's my best option. Works great on the east end...several of us have it there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: