Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Summer 04 Visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobieracer
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Summer 04 Visit Reply with quote

I never knew this island existed, and have been looking for a cool island to sail (with a hobie cat) in the Lake Michigan/ Huron area. I'm interested in making a sailing trip from either Cheboygan, or St. Ignace, and spending a few days camping along the way between Mackinac, Round, and BBI. I need to know everything about these places that everyone knows relavent to camping, hiking, sailing... (I'll need to beach my boat so sandy places), nice places to swim or snorkel, sources of water, restrooms, camping fees, whether people bring cars to the island or not, and how. Sources of food. Like I said anything along those lines would be greatly appreciated. all I know is what is on the topo map (very little). It looks like one nice place may be sand Bay, on the SE side of the island. Let me know what anyone who knows the area thinks of maybe camping there.
Thank You So Much!!!
Andy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy and welcome to the site! You have quite a few questions so I'll try to answer as many as I can... Sand Bay is a wonderful spot for sure and the best beach on the Island. Unfortunately it's mostly private.. Most of the south shore is private.. The north shore is state land and by the wooden cross on the north shore is primative camping spots. You can see the wooden cross from the water.. The shoreline along the north shore is mostly rocky though and shallow for a long distance..

All business' are on the south side.. check out www.bbi-realestate.com for more info on one of the business', Hawks Landing. For ferry info you can find schedules on this site and a link to Plaunts Transportation that can give you more info on getting a car over. Cost, ect. BBI has a bar where you can eat too on toward the east end and a combo restaurant,store,gift shop, video rental, info center near the township dock called Hawks Landing.. You will find their info at the link I provided above. They also have a map for the real estate end of the business that may help you locate things.

Round Island has a wonderful little bay I've always known as Mattress Bay, on the east side that may be just what you need for beaching your boat.. Others may have more info on the requirements of permits, ect. I hope you have obtained maps of the surrounding waters as there are shoals and obstacles that could mess you up.. Hope I've pointed you in all the right places to answer your questions.... Enjoy! Susie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: