Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Detroit's Real Side
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe in Detroit's Resurence After Watching This Video?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 16

sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Detroit's Real Side Reply with quote

Please watch this video and tell me what you think. It shows the true side of the city, not the outdated bs from the media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqyD7PewoI
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must of looked at it too fasted and missed the armed robbers, carjackers and drug dealers. I wonder where they went?
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that's touching stuff. Where are the council members who don't want the suburbanites downtown because we don't look like them? I want to see the city thrive. There are a lot of great places to go and things to do. But when the "leadership of the city says to stay in the suburbs and I don't matter because I don't look like them, then I guess my money doesn't matter to them either. If I'm hurting the people of the city of Detroit with that attitude, then they need to do something about the people they have elected to speak for them.
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me I agree with you blue72 that the leadership in the city is awful, but we have a chance to change things. One we need to support Dave Bing, someone who hasnt been corrupted by the system and is an outsider. And this video shows how that despite the idiots at City Hall, the city can and will come back. This is a great city with great people and the suburbanites need to see that it's the people that make Detroit, not the idiot politicians. And as for the armed robberies and carjacking comments lighthouse, you couldnt sound more uneducated. Crime has plummeted but your one of those people who wants the city to fail to help your punchlines. Detroit is coming back so lets get behind it and support this city hat is seen as the representation of Michigan across the world.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. You know, not too long ago, I drove a limo to help make ends meet, which it didn't. But I spent a lot of time in Detroit with editors and publishers and writers and people from all over the country, and they all asked the same question. Is the crime really as bad as we see on the news. You see, in L.A. and New York all they know about Detroit is murder and carjackings and drugs, which is definately part of it. As I explained to them, we have crime like everyone else, but two things are for sure. If you aren't someplace where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there, you won't have problems. #2, if you want to know what the real problem is in Detroit, while your in your hotel, try watching a council meeting on T.V. That will tell it all. I like Dave Bing, but I'm no longer a resident, so my vote doesn't count. Of course when I was a resident, I was labeled a racist for voting Dennis Archer instead of Sharon McPhail. Talk about uneducated. I think they need a clean sweep of the council and a new mayor, or nothing will change.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uneducated, let's see? I wonder is Sparty1, currently living in the City of Detroit, with a family and sends your kids to Detroit City Schools. My uneducated experience comes from living in the City, Policing the city streets in various capacities and earning two, I guess worthless degrees.

The facts are Detroit is in a mess after years of poor management and corruption. The police department can barely function, let alone prevent crime. The department has gone from nearly 6000 officers to 2400. The population has gone from 1.3 million to probably below 900,000 by the 2010 census. Remember when you are talking about the Uniform Crime Report, it is the city officials who report that crime to the FBI. Ask most city residents if crime is down. I think not!!!!

Some good things have happened in the 2 square mile area otherwise known as downtown Detroit, but the rest of the city is a mess. The city will not come back in my lifetime, but who knows what will happen in the next fifty year.
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its that very mindset that is hindering the city. You need to actually see potential and not see the devestation. The city has been coming back since Dennis Archer and will continue to.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my question remains since you seem to be so positive, do you now or did you at one time (and left), live within the corporate limits of the City of Detroit? Archer did a great job and the city started to very slowly creep back and I mean slowly. Unfortunately, Kilpatrick did so much harm that it will be years in coming back, if ever. I'm not just talking about the downtown area, I am talking about the overall living conditions of the people of Detroit. Police response is poor, fire response is somewhat quicker, but still not good, and schools are horrible. I know because I worked in those schools. How do you convince the average suburbanite to move back under those conditions.

Highland Park is probably a very good history lesson. The city is all but dead because people & industry left. Heck, they can't even afford police protection, so Wayne County had to take over patrols. I not trying to be negative just to be negative, but big cities in Michigan are dying.

Crime or perceived crime is only one reason. I think the schools of choice program, which was intended to make schools accountable is a problem for most urban areas in Michigan. Most of our larger urban districts are failing; Detroit, Flint, Saginaw and so on. The folks that want to flee the percieved or actual crime, put their kids in the car and head daily for the suburban districts. That certainly won't bring any of our urban areas back!!! End of discussion.
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am young and I believe it is my generation that will bring this city back. The development is not only in Downtown, but also in Midtown, Corktown, New Center, Woodbridge, Indian Village, Eastern Market and many many more. But i couldnt agree more with you on the schools. We need to change how we run the DPS or we will not be able to fully revitalize. But with all of the redevelopment i cant help but have hope. Hope is what will get this city back.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so sad what has happened to our urban communities, especially in Michigan. You are correct, that it will be your generation that will need to move young families into urban areas in large numbers for that plan to work. You will need to be prepared and stick it out.

Detroit has beautiful older homes that in many cases are no longer liveable. My home in Detroit was a one of a kind, but it just got to be too dangerous for us to remain. Consistent break-ins or attempts, two armed robberies occurred to citizens on the block.Two of our neighbors had their cars broken into and stolen. If you went out for an evening walk you needed to stick a gun in your pocket to insure you would get robbed at gunpoint. Not fiction this is a way of life in many urban areas and I have lived in this environment for many years. Unfortunately in many areas what has remain are the elderly, very poor folks & criminals with a few die hards in between.

I really hope that this current depression will bring younger families back to the very cost effective homes that can be picked due to the foreclosure crisis, but I have my doubts if they would remain. Time will tell, I guess.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope is what will get this city back.

I can't really offer a qualified response since I haven't been downtown Detroit in 30+ years. So that would be my last recollection of why I haven't been back in 30 years.

If Michigan is economically healthy, so is Detroit and vice versa. They didn't call Detroit the "Motor City" for nada... Whoops. I sense the other shoe just dropped and we ain't seen "bad" yet. How does Detroit justify it's existance, economically, when the population is ditching out enmasse? Or Michigan for that matter.

I wish I could share your optimism and enthusiasm. Not in our lifetimes. Maybe more like Cherynoble. No mans land. Put a fence around it.

Maybe Downtown is some sort of cultural island in a ghetto sea? What do I know? Go look at the Beasley guy harvesting coons (Urban Survivalist post). Wildlife reclaiming the rest of the city?.

I think Detroit has hit its apex maybe 20 years ago and with the auto industry out of the picture, so will be Detroit. Nice place to visit but I woudln't want to live there.

But WTF, just my opinion... Question
square mouth
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a timely post for our family, as Pete, (Poppa Boot Hands) is starting Physicians Assistant School at Wayne State on May 11. We're all so excited about this time in his life and his move to the city. He just signed his lease and is ready to go. He'll be living in a small old apartment bldg. 2 blocks from WSU (I think it used to be a hotel) with big chandaliers in the lobby-- with tons of character and "characters" also. I loved how the manager and the handyman were aware that "#214 was taking his finals" or "#601 was graduating". People cared and kept track of others in the building.
After I graduated from CMU in the early 70s, I moved to Troy (northern suburbs) and worked in downtown Detoit. I've always had a soft spot for the city, especially West Grand Blvd. area with the Fisher Bldg, the St. Regis Hotel etc.
Thanks for passing on the film. Its about time we see some of the positives.
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I invite everyone to see the redevleopment in the city at modeldmedia.com. Every week (Tuesdays) the webiste, which is basically an online magazine, updates with all the recent news and events with Detroit redevelopment projects. Even if you dont believe in the city now, check out the stories and the archive of stories which goes back to 2004. youtube.com/modeldmedia has all of the videos that this website has made as well.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Every city and Town Reply with quote

It's refreshing to see these topics kicked around, and to see a little emotion attached. I have many relatives that live there lives in the Flint and Detroit areas. I do Love the Music, sports, shopping & other events that take place in these massive collections of concrete and Steele, but I chose to reside in the likes of Traverse city & Bois Blanc Island. I am simply more comfortable in the woods & on the water, It suites me.
There is deceit, theft, lying & drug abuse everywhere, even on our beloved little Island. But the ratios are much smaller. Positive thoughts as well as actions do seem to be winning up on the Island. Very Happy
It is not as simple as yes or no, I'm optimistic about positive change anywhere, like minded individuals pool there resources.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: doubt Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I doubt if resurgence will continue without jobs to support Detroit's infastructure, city revenue (city taxes on income and property). How is it paid for?

If the boundries were pushed out to include the suburbs and the city income tax and property taxes included all those people, then Detroit might have a chance. That would even out things more. The suburbs would then be included in the support of the city. But then, maybe Detroit would drag down the suburbs to it's level.

Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. It does make me sad to see all the abandoned houses that were once really nice rock solid homes. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe it would be better to bulldoze the blight into empty places and let the forest come back. Then downtown Detroit would be surrounded by a huge "Central Park". Then again, Detroit can't even afford to do that.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born at a now-defunct hospital at Woodward and 6 Mile, and grew up three miles north of Detroit, on a street in what had been a relatively nice subdivision with minimal crime. My mother still lives there. In fact, this is her 50th year there.

The neighbors have all but gone, several due to foreclosure, and several others because they wanted to "get out while they could". What's left are vacant homes with crime sharply rising, and property values cut literally in half. This is happening NOW.

In that way, Detroit (or its influence, anyway) is growing... more like a cancer than like a city. It would be a whimsical fantasy to believe Detroit is "making a comeback" or ever could. Aside from a few pockets of success, and the fleeting positive influence of Dennis Archer, it has been predominantly in ruins since the riots of '67.

Take a driving tour that traverses the thousands of residential and commercial streets, and you will see that 'ruins' is no exaggeration. Get outside of the hot spots, like Wayne State, the DIA, Comerica Park/Hockeytown, Greektown, Corktown, the Fox Theater district, etc. Those places are tiny, isolated specks on the map. Think about it - Detroit covers 138 square miles! This is what you are far more likely to encounter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7yhByXdkQ

There are miles upon miles of burned-out shells, including several major landmarks that have simply been abandoned forever with no hope of being restored. And much of this disaster has been decaying, quite literally, since the riots.

Go to the store locator of any major retailer's Web site. Try to find locations within the city of Detroit. Good luck! Actually, after going through seven or eight sites, I found that there is still one forlorn Kmart right on the city's border.

I'm sorry to say that the video link posted at the beginning of this thread shows anything but the 'true side' of Detroit, although I liked the video and think it's an effective marketing piece. Yes, there are indeed young, urban professionals who make a 'go' of it within the city limits - and of course there are areas of semi-desirable housing. The DIA and the other promoted attractions are great, but they occupy a tiny fraction of this enormous city. It would be nice to believe a new generation could bring the rest of it back to what it may have been before the middle of the last century. But unless that new generation can buy up, bulldoze and detoxify about 130 square miles of blight, it's not in the cards.

Detroit is fascinating. Every day, a few more pieces of its history crumble and fall to the ground. Tens of thousands of its artifacts have been lost already. If anything, the deterioration is accelerating.

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another video that provides a shockingly accurate view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM&NR=1

We can pretend it's not like this, but the fact is... scenes like these go on for miles. Right now, today. They are for real, and this video captures a tiny fraction of the ruins' magnitude.
wille
Old Dock Diver
Old Dock Diver

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAN
THAT IS A VERY STRONG VIDEO, YOU CANT DISPUTE, THE TOTAL BREAK DOWN OF THE AREA, IT IS VERY SAD.
square mouth
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks for all the positive feedback. I sort of feel like my deflated aero-bed. Hopefully Pete doesn't read this.
lighthouse
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is the Detroit I know and it is only a few blocks of it. I still don't see it getting better any time soon, unless you WANT TO MOVE YOUR FAMILY THERE!!!!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square Mouth - I'm sorry.

Not trying to cause any bad feelings for anyone. But if we are really exploring the topic, it's important to understand just how serious and long-term the blight has been. Detroit's not in a crisis that 10 or even 20 years of grassroots effort can fix... Much of it is literally in ruin, and has been for half a century. And that statement doesn't even begin to touch on its city government, schools and public utility infrastructure.

Example: The Packard plant (remember Packard?) was designed by the famous Albert Kahn. It opened in 1907. The plant, which consisted of 47 buildings on 38 acres, once operated around-the-clock, had 40,000 workers, a grocery store, two schools, and a department store within its complex.

Just 50 years after this mammoth complex opened, in 1957, it was abandoned. Not sold to another company to manufacture something else; not torn down to make way for something new. Abandoned. And there it sits to this very day. Can you imagine the history that's just rotted away, day after day, year after year, as this irreplaceable part of Detroit crumbles? It's so immense, that no one can even afford to tear it down or detox the site.

Michigan Central Station is another tragic loss. Its immense, gutted skeleton still casts a shadow over Corktown, the latter being a symbol of Detroit's "revitalization". The Station was being considered for renovation as the new police HQ, until the City realized that renovation of the building would cost $300 million. On April 7th of this year, the City Council voted to just tear it down instead.

Note that it's been on the National Register of Historic Places for 35 years. Yet, tearing the monster down is probably the best thing that could happen to it at this point.

There are hundreds of other large-scale examples, and tens of thousands of former homes and tenaments, waiting for their ultimate demise. To see them in person takes your breath away.

Yes, there are nice things, safe things, good things happening in Detroit. Sadly, they are the exception.
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see all of this spirited discussion, albeit pessimistic, it does show that many care for the city. But when you call the good neighborhoods "pockets" its just not true.
Here is a list of what are the good or quickly improving neighborhoods: Downtown, Midtown, New Center, Corktown, Mexicantown, Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, University District, Lafayette Park, East Jefferson, Riverfront, Boston-Edison, Woodbridge, and many more.
Now ill be the first to admit the city has a long way to go to become the city I would accept as good enough, but the strides are tremendous. Streetscape projects have redone almost all downtown streets, woodward from hart to new center, and even a light rail line (privately funded thank god) is beginning construction on woodward avenue this fall. Also see these videos http://www.youtube.com/user/modeldmedia, especially the Argonaut Building renovation which is turning the 11 Story over 700,000 square foot building into a campus for th College for Creative Studies, and anything on the site and it will show you the unstoppable revival of the city. And the people who run the website and magazine, they are middle class, white, and have children, and live in the city. Again also go to modeldmedia.com to see how the city is coming back neighborhood by neighborhood.
The city has a long way to go, but there is nothing more powerful than the human spirit. The area around U of D Mercy has improved thanks to a program where the university will pay for part of the morgatge if professors will live in the local area. Plus look for an article on Model D about brush park, a huge success story for Detroit. Every city (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) has its blight, but what matters is how we react to the challenges. The city is full of people wanting to make a difference and for all naysayers, go to Greektown, Downtown, or any of the neighborhoods above listed to see the progress. The city has been on the path to revival for years and a mall is even being constructed on 8 mile and a 100 shop mall downtown is being built in what was once an abandoned building (http://shopkresge.com/?id=index). Again I truly ask you to read some of the articles at modeldmedia.com, I know it affected my view of the city. The revival will continue and with the moving of Quicken Loans world HQ downtown and 4,000 employees, along with massive redevelpment, including a light rail line, 6 new hotels in the last 4 years, and many many more developments, the city is on its way back. Long live Detroit!
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here are a few more sites showing progress

Detroit Economic Growth Corporation- http://www.degc.org/about.aspx

Detroit Visitors and Convention Bureau- http://visitdetroit.com/

Southwest Detroit Redevelopment- http://www.swsol.org/

Detroit International Riverfront- http://www.detroitriverfront.org/
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is surely one heavy video.

This did not get this overnight. It is a long time coming. What I do not understand is, why was it allowed to get this way? Where were the authorities, the rules, the people to enforce them? People may be poor, etc. but they do not have to let things get like this. This is in our (all of us) back door.

So So Sad to see this. I feel for Detroit.......
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: My Reply with quote

My daughter was born at MT. Sinai Hosptial in Detroit ...Is it Still there ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: