Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Study: Michigan mammals rapidly migrating north

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is our climate now...
Warming
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Cooling
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 22

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Study: Michigan mammals rapidly migrating north Reply with quote

I pulled this from the GLIN links at left on home page. Appeared in Chigago Tribune. I thought it was quite interesting. A few comments of my own at conclusion of article, as follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Study: Michigan mammals rapidly migrating north
By JOHN FLESHER | AP Environmental Writer
5:36 PM CDT, May 21, 2009

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. - Commonplace rodents such as opossums and white-footed mice are migrating rapidly northward in Michigan, suggesting climate change is taking hold in the upper Great Lakes region, says a newly released scientific report.

The growing abundance of rodent types that historically lived farther south, coupled with a decline of others long found north of the 45th parallel, has accelerated rapidly since the 1970s, say researchers led by biologist Philip Myers of the University of Michigan.

The findings are similar to those of other studies that have linked northward animal migrations with warming temperatures in North America, Myers said Thursday.

"Generally, however, these reports deal with out-of-the-way places or uncommon species that most of us will never see," he said. "Ours is an example of change happening in our back yards."

The study, published in the June issue of the journal Global Change Biology, considered and dismissed other possible explanations for the evolving mammal populations, such as logging and urban sprawl.

Although based on data gathered only in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula, its findings carry implications for the entire upper Great Lakes and other northerly regions, Myers said.

Michigan's northlands are a good location for measuring the effects of climate on mammals, he said. They represent either the southernmost or northernmost extent of many species' range -- where population changes tend to show up first.

And the project was boosted by a treasure trove of records on mammal distribution in the area, including more than a century of field notes and specimen collections housed in research museums at the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.

"This gives us a strong basis of comparison that is lacking or at least weaker in other parts of the country," Myers said.

Beginning in 1978, university researchers bolstered older records by live-trapping small mammals for study. Especially helpful were findings from a 6,400-acre virgin tract within the Huron Mountain Club, a private hunting and fishing enclave that was spared during a series of logging booms that started in the late 1800s.

Altogether, the researchers compiled more than 14,600 records dealing with nine mammal species chosen for study.

Of those, four are on the upswing in northern Michigan: the white-footed mouse, southern flying squirrel, eastern chipmunk and opossum. They historically lived farther south and have migrated northward. The opossum was found only in southern Michigan a century ago but now is common statewide.

Meanwhile, the five species in decline are longtime natives of northern Michigan: woodland deer mice, southern red-backed voles, northern flying squirrels, woodland jumping mice and least chipmunks.

Altered forest patterns from logging don't explain the changes, Myers said. If they did, the recently arrived species would have shown up during the early logging period because they thrive in cut-over woodlands. Also, the same population changes are taking place on uncut Huron Mountain Club property as in areas that have been extensively logged.

Land development also was rejected as a primary reason for the mammal population shifts because they've happened in disturbed and undisturbed areas.

That left climate as a likely suspect. Records from 16 Upper Peninsula weather stations showed a steady increase in temperatures over nearly four decades beginning in 1970. The mammal population changes happened during the same period.

The species in the study sometimes provide early indications of trends that eventually affect other animals and plants, Myers said. Northern Michigan's changing rodent lineup might signal coming changes in the region's predator-prey relationships or its distribution of tree seeds, with implications for the forests. But it's too early to say.

"We just don't know what the effect of taking out some species and replacing them with others will be," he said. "It could have no effect at all. But because these are among the commonest mammal species, the potential for serious change is certainly present."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would tend to agree with the above article.

Southern Michigan birds and animals rarely seen around here (central lower) 35 years ago are now frequent. Winter birds that normally migrated as far south as this area, are no longer seen. Tufted Titmouse (from south) and Evening Groesbeaks (winter, from north) are two examples.

Also unusual is the fact that squirrel species seem to be migrating in both directions. Grey/Black squirrels, typically norther species have been steadily moving south over the last two decades and are now common where I live. Fox Squirrels, typically southern michigan have been reported in just about all northern lower counties.

I will have to look and see if the flying squirrels I have are northern or southern species.

I am sure it is climate related. Keep in mind our winters have become nociteably milder over the last 20 years or so. Some believe this trend is now reversing ( as evidenced last winter with near record cold and snow). In fact, I rad that global climate averages actually dropped almost two degrees over the last two years, negating gains of the last 70 yrears prior. And the reason speculated as being "reduced sunspot activity".

Climate changes are trends over eons. What do we have? a couple hundred years of factual data and the rest geological speculation and ice cap samples? In the 70's, conventional wisdom was that we were heading into the next ice age, Then a global melt down, And now maybe a reverse? Or the cool off could be a temporary anomaly/spike?

Climate change and migrations with it, are normal occurance however extend beyond mans lifespan and record keeping. Who knows?
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I initially read the title of this post, I expected it to be a joke about the Memorial Day exodus of the human species (mammals we are!), from this rat-race to places more pleasant
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't [i]honestly[/i] believe that global warming isn't occuring...right? What a lot of people don't understand is that global warming isn't acctually the best moniker, but rather global [i]climate change[/i]. Some places will get considerably warmer, but others (possible like our micro climate here) may get colder.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i wish i could master the italics
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilotkid wrote:
You can't honestly believe that global warming isn't occuring...right? What a lot of people don't understand is that global warming isn't acctually the best moniker, but rather global climate change. Some places will get considerably warmer, but others (possible like our micro climate here) may get colder.

I think that is basically correct. I have read plenty on this subject and am not sure what to believe. Credible scientists on both sides with limited data and lots of projections and speculation.

I don't think there would be much arguement that earth HAS been warming over the last several decades. New short-term evidence suggests this trend may be reversing itself. Who knows?

What throws a monkey wrench into the model is sun spot activity or recent lack therof. Somehow, scientists had determined that earth wasn't the only planet that was warming. And warming exponentially by it's distance from the sun? And whether green house gases (CO2) are cause or effect?

It is now known that overall, the temperature of the earth has been decreasing and that the entire northern hemisphere had a very long and cold winter.

This could be a blip in the curve or a long term trend? I think there is more valiables and unknowns than othewise. Science is based on data and a couple hundred years of temperature records just isn't enough.

A couple hundred years is a blip.

Nor do I know why your italics messed up?
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has done a study on how acres and acres of windmills will affect the climate.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Familyman wrote:
I wonder if anyone has done a study on how acres and acres of windmills will affect the climate.

Yes, actually they have. There is an upside and a downside.

As a result of wind turbines, there are millions of dead birds laying all over the place decomposing and releasing methane gas... which is raising the temperature of the earth by about a degree a day. They have flown into the wind turbines because they were blinded by the sulfur and mercury fumes coming out of coal fired generating plants.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm so scared right now. all of this propaganda.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilotkid wrote:
i'm so scared right now. all of this propaganda.

You aint heard nothin' yet.

We have excessive rattle snake populations hiding under the solar panels in the desert. They are going to own us. And the reflection from the solar panels is actually what is meting the polar ice caps. Thats because the reflection is being bounced off Uranus back to earth. So our Ozone layer is getting whacked, coming and going.

We are screwed unless we stick with something safe: Clean Coal and NUKE power.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis,

I have reason to believe that the rattle snake population is up is because of the threat of rising water from the solar caps melting,
(yep, even in the deserts!)

the solar panels only intensify their fear,
(who would have thought that rattlers could fear, but I hear its true)

as to Uranus, I'm not going there
I think my Ozone layer will keep me safe
:)

I hope this helps!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoverusa wrote:
Conis,

I have reason to believe that the rattle snake population is up is because of the threat of rising water from the solar caps melting,
(yep, even in the deserts!)

Yup, Your'e getting it. Solar panels reflection bounces of Uranus, melts the ice cap, water level rise and flood the deserts.

Pretty soon we'll all be doing the backstroke across the Sahara in the company of 20' Anacondas. Got a line on any solar powered hovercrafts?

However.... They can always turn the wind turbines into giant solar powered fans to assist with evaporation. So we might be OK after all.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truest truism is this: There is no such thing as a free cup of coffee.

The notion that windmills or solar panels or ethanol or nuclear energy or other energy sources will come without a cost is simply wrong. All of them have plusses and minuses.

My concern with the global warming debate is that I simply do not trust many of those who are so loudly arguing that we must make dramatic changes or else. I don't trust them in part because it is clear that many have an agenda. I don't trust them because they don't take seriously the concern that if the US trashes its economy to fight global warming and the rest of the world does nothing--there will be real consequences for many Americans. And frankly, I don't think scientists are always all that objective about their science. As a practical matter, they cannot afford to be because their grants or their job status at a college or government organization might be impacted.

Finally, while I expect there are some significant differences between the science of everyday meteorology and long, long term forecasts about the earth's climate, the inability of meteorologists to even accurately forecast what will happen later that day casts doubt on their ability to forecast out 10 or 20 or 100 years. As you said, Conis, there are so many variables--some of which the scientists don't understand.

All this being said, because causes have effects, it seems reasonable to conclude that man's activities are having an effect on the global climate. But just what that effect is, it is hard to tell.

The real challenge in America today is that there seems to be such a lack of integrity that we can't tell who to trust.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: cool or warm Reply with quote

Doug

DITTO !!
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Doug. Don't trust the scientists..they have an agenda, unlike the church, which you are so quick to trust. : )
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the scientists don't understand grossly outweights what they "think" they understand. Like a climate crossword puzzle; fill in the blanks as you go along.

Global warming? Make that up as you go along? And as Doug has pointed out, the USA goes broke trying to go green when the rest of the countries that pollute as much or not more, simply give the issues lip service.

No one can convince me that burning massive amounts of fossil fuels is healthy for the air or water. Sulfur, mercury.... Clean coal? What a great marketing ploy. Cleaning up the environment is an apple. Global warming is an orange.

Foreign oil? What fools we are. WHAT? We are saving our oil for when the Arabs run out? We have more oil and natural gas than the Saudis by a factor of 10.

Who has integrity? Who should we trust? Good question. Those in a positon of power or funded scientists? NAW. I'll trust my own instincts.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

I agree we have plenty of oil and gas in the good U.S.A

We should go for it and start getting it out of our own ground ...
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For thoughts that don't believe that we have plenty of oil of our own please look here.......
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3340274697167011147

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

Good Site Tony !!
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Associated Press
Steve Fielding

Steve Fielding recently asked the Obama administration to reassure him on the science of man-made global warming. When the administration proved unhelpful, Mr. Fielding decided to vote against climate-change legislation.
If you haven't heard of this politician, it's because he's a member of the Australian Senate. As the U.S. House of Representatives prepares to pass a climate-change bill, the Australian Parliament is preparing to kill its own country's carbon-emissions scheme. Why? A growing number of Australian politicians, scientists and citizens once again doubt the science of human-caused global warming.

Among the many reasons President Barack Obama and the Democratic majority are so intent on quickly jamming a cap-and-trade system through Congress is because the global warming tide is again shifting. It turns out Al Gore and the United Nations (with an assist from the media), did a little too vociferous a job smearing anyone who disagreed with them as "deniers." The backlash has brought the scientific debate roaring back to life in Australia, Europe, Japan and even, if less reported, the U.S.
In April, the Polish Academy of Sciences published a document challenging man-made global warming. In the Czech Republic, where President Vaclav Klaus remains a leading skeptic, today only 11% of the population believes humans play a role. In France, President Nicolas Sarkozy wants to tap Claude Allegre to lead the country's new ministry of industry and innovation. Twenty years ago Mr. Allegre was among the first to trill about man-made global warming, but the geochemist has since recanted. New Zealand last year elected a new government, which immediately suspended the country's weeks-old cap-and-trade program.
The number of skeptics, far from shrinking, is swelling. Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe now counts more than 700 scientists who disagree with the U.N. -- 13 times the number who authored the U.N.'s 2007 climate summary for policymakers. Joanne Simpson, the world's first woman to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology, expressed relief upon her retirement last year that she was finally free to speak "frankly" of her nonbelief. Dr. Kiminori Itoh, a Japanese environmental physical chemist who contributed to a U.N. climate report, dubs man-made warming "the worst scientific scandal in history." Norway's Ivar Giaever, Nobel Prize winner for physics, decries it as the "new religion." A group of 54 noted physicists, led by Princeton's Will Happer, is demanding the American Physical Society revise its position that the science is settled. (Both Nature and Science magazines have refused to run the physicists' open letter.)
The collapse of the "consensus" has been driven by reality. The inconvenient truth is that the earth's temperatures have flat-lined since 2001, despite growing concentrations of C02. Peer-reviewed research has debunked doomsday scenarios about the polar ice caps, hurricanes, malaria, extinctions, rising oceans. A global financial crisis has politicians taking a harder look at the science that would require them to hamstring their economies to rein in carbon.
Credit for Australia's own era of renewed enlightenment goes to Dr. Ian Plimer, a well-known Australian geologist. Earlier this year he published "Heaven and Earth," a *darn* critique of the "evidence" underpinning man-made global warming. The book is already in its fifth printing. So compelling is it that Paul Sheehan, a noted Australian columnist -- and ardent global warming believer -- in April humbly pronounced it "an evidence-based attack on conformity and orthodoxy, including my own, and a reminder to respect informed dissent and beware of ideology subverting evidence." Australian polls have shown a sharp uptick in public skepticism; the press is back to questioning scientific dogma; blogs are having a field day.
The rise in skepticism also came as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, elected like Mr. Obama on promises to combat global warming, was attempting his own emissions-reduction scheme. His administration was forced to delay the implementation of the program until at least 2011, just to get the legislation through Australia's House. The Senate was not so easily swayed.
Mr. Fielding, a crucial vote on the bill, was so alarmed by the renewed science debate that he made a fact-finding trip to the U.S., attending the Heartland Institute's annual conference for climate skeptics. He also visited with Joseph Aldy, Mr. Obama's special assistant on energy and the environment, where he challenged the Obama team to address his doubts. They apparently didn't.
This week Mr. Fielding issued a statement: He would not be voting for the bill. He would not risk job losses on "unconvincing green science." The bill is set to founder as the Australian parliament breaks for the winter.
Republicans in the U.S. have, in recent years, turned ever more to the cost arguments against climate legislation. That's made sense in light of the economic crisis. If Speaker Nancy Pelosi fails to push through her bill, it will be because rural and Blue Dog Democrats fret about the economic ramifications. Yet if the rest of the world is any indication, now might be the time for U.S. politicians to re-engage on the science. One thing for sure: They won't be alone.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, Familyman and I agree on a subject. (I think)

This proposed carbon tax bill is the biggest piece of crap to come down the pike in quite a while, ramrodded through by Pelosi and some of her idiot pals that seem clueless about the economic ramifications, especially in rural areas. And all in a period of the worst recession dince the Depression. Of maybe they are thinking this will help turn the recessionto a full blown depression.

And what about the third world countries pumping crap into the air with no intention of doing anything about any of it?

Scientists are still bickering about cause/effect and climate change. Recent data indicates the warm up was an anomoly perhaps caused by sun spots? And the earth has actually cooled over the last two years?

I don't see green technology as "all bad". If it helps decrease usage of our resources, less dependance on foreign oil, creats jobs, and keeps our environment cleaner... How can this be bad?

This carbon tax thing IS bad and a bad move in the wrong direction and at a very bad time. I don't see that it has all that much to do with green tech. Just another gov't tax ploy where the brokers get rich.
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we agree on more than either one knows. I am in the energy savings business and am going to benefit from many of the programs being instituted, including the new rebates being offered by the utility companies. We have recently developed a new high bay LED light fixture that will replace 400 watt metal halides (458 with ballast) with 150 watts and 100,000 hr. life expectancy with virtually no lumen depreciation. We have also developed a retrofit kit for outdoor wall packs and shoe boxes. Is it the "green" aspect that's selling them? NO. It's the "$" aspect. Unfortunately you guys are going to subsidize my business. According to the latest from the utility companies residential surcharges will be about $40.00 per household and commercial will be $140.00 and up. PER MONTH. Proposed start date August 2009. Most companies will institute an operational savings project with a simple return on investment of less than 2 years. Normal free market forces will force the equilibrium of sales and cost and profit. We now have the added benefit of the government mandating projects and using your money to incentivize private companies to act and behave the way they want. This is not part of cap and trade. Thatís a totally different animal. Cap and trade will be another penalty threat that will punish a company that would not knuckle under and do whatís best for them. Think of it as an electric dog shock collar turned up to the max setting. BTW MADE IN MICHIGAN!!!!!
Algore has designed and is marketing the software for tracking the trading. He stands to turn a 135 million investment into billions. Detroit is already set up. http://getcarboncreditco2.com/
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your'e preaching to the choire on this one.

I have already "greened" my electrical consumption to the max. So what next? Turn off the fridge and water pump? I am on REA coop electric and get the magazine each month in which the issues are presented and discussed "from a rural perspective" Those less "economically endowed" around here have ditched propane because it is unaffordable and are heating with wood and kerosene. So now thay take a $40 a month boost in electrric cost?

Just keep pumping the poor people. News flash! They are tapped out and struggling to survive.

Green up is all about the money? YA THINK? Go tell that to some poor sap in a mobile/trailer when his power bill jumps $40/month. hey... the solution is simple: Go solar? Ok, I'll fix it tomorrow with that quick fix solution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found this article this morning...evidence suppressed by EPA regarding global temps and CO2 suppression

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/06/26/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5117890.shtml
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It get's better. Part of "Cap and Trade" is the funding of a new inspection arm that will inspect homes for sale. If your home is not "green" enough you will have to upgrade before you can sell it. The FACTS about global warming are starting to surface. Scientists all around the world are jumping ship.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right familyman! Just as you are on every subject you contribute your ever-so-valuable and thoughtful observations on! I heard that Rush, Hannity, and FOX NEWS have reported that scientists are 'jumping ship' on that whole EVOLUTION thingy too! Wow! Thanks for opening our eyes once again with your vast, worldly knowledge of all things political, economic, and scientific. It truly took a magnificent god to design the master intellect that is.........the familyman. We are all so blessed to be in your presence. Hallefrickinlujah!!

How cool that these ignorant progressives are playing right into your hands, with all this 'Green' nonsense! They're making you richer, and they don't even know it! Environment, enshmironment! All the good christians will be sucked up to heaven in the rapture soon anyway! Who cares about preserving this temporary, sinful world?!! Thank you..thank you...thank you...oh wise familyman, for helping us all 'see the light'. Shocked
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your're Welcome.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: