Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

What do kids do in a typical week on the island?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: What do kids do in a typical week on the island? Reply with quote

What do kids of all ages do to entertain themselves while on the island? As webmaster and a rental property owner I get this question asked of me frequently. It would be great to get input from kids, parents, grandparents. If possible it would be nice to have the scheduled events listed like story hour, square dances, museum hours, etc.

My girls, age 4 & 6, like to play at the old dock. Kate even jumped off the end a couple of times this year. They like to beach comb for sticks, cool rocks, shells, hats and whatever else has drifted ashore. On hot days we like to go to the beach at the end of Bible Rd. and play in the water. Kate likes to walk up the driveway and look for snails stuck to the sides of the wet trees, cool looking moths and insects, and what ever other living things she can find. Of course they like to go to Hawk's for ice cream and candy necklaces. At the tavern they had a blast at Island Jam '08 dancing and playing with the Duncan girls.

Thanks in advance for sharing your family experiences.

http://www.bridge-view.net
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Duncan Pines, we swim, kayak, ride bikes, take nature hikes, catch frogs, go fishin', study insects and birds, play games like Ladderball and Baggo, make s'mores and sing around the campfire for starters. We are regulars at storyhour (10:30 a.m. July and August, at the Library/Museum) and square dance (7p - 9p July and August, at the Hoover Bldg.) My wife has taken the girls to game night at the Coast Guard Chapel in the past. I believe on Tuesday nights, but I'm not sure about the times on that one. (Tuesday brings another favorite activity....Taco night at the BBI Tavern.) We love to fly kites on the North Shore, on a breezy day. We play games in front of the fireplace, on a blustery one. Our girls also love to swim at the 'Old Dock' in the Pines, so we take them down there a couple of times every summer to jump off the end, and to play with all of their 'Pines friends'.
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just up a few days ago. We camped at Sand Bay, rode bikes/jogged to the Pines, swam, visited with friends at the dock, and took frequent trips to Hawks. We had a fire when the wind died down.

Mostly, my kids just enjoy the freedom they have while on the Island.

My teens did not go on the tour through the wilderness during this past trip. The intended destination and duration of the exploration determines their interest level and willingness to participate. With my dad as our tour guide, we adults hiked through places where no human has walked (at least not in a very long time) and of course got a short lessons in wildflowers (sedges have edges) and insects (damselfly, not dragonfly) along the way.

We will be going back up on Monday the 20th. I plan to bring my muck boots.
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do a scavenger hunt for the kids. Place objecst (clues) all over the island. Every year is a different theme, pirate, alien, murder etc. They love it. We make tie dye shirts, play board games, go camping by deer lake, badmitten on the beach. The kids love the island we do stuff that we normally wouldnt at home.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island was a great place to be a kid. It was like an artist with a blank slate to work with. You invent things to do. Make it up as you go along. Your games , your rules, where ever, when ever. Unless Mother nature says otherwise, there is no reason to be in the house. If you aren't out and about, sit and listen to the island. Literally listen. Foggy days are the best. Waves rippling or crashing, freighters, birds, rain drops on the lake. Stuff you may not notice if you aren't paying attention. Sounds, smells. it's all there for the taking. Enjoy!!
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid staying up there about 15 years ago we would go to Fun Night at the Coast Guard Chapel, Square Dancing at the Hoover building, Taco nights at the tavern occasionally, the usual swimming/boating/hiking (going to the big rock was always pretty cool), fishing, Ice Cream at Hawks, smores at night, board games if its rainy.

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the big rock?
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG ROCK N45 45 801 W084 22 401

If you have a GPS
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz NO GPS ? Drive 6miles +- from the new dock (right turn coming off the boat ) toward what is known as the East End.
Look for the " Isle of View " sign on the Left, turn left at the sign and proceed down the trail to the Big Rock.

Uncle Steve

Last edited by Uncle Steve on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Steve - Take a compass!!!
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN YOU SEE IT FROM THE TRAIL, IS IT BY A COTTAGE.
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KELLY wrote:
CAN YOU SEE IT FROM THE TRAIL, IS IT BY A COTTAGE.

It's pretty deep in the woods so no cabins around it, but there is a trail that pretty much leads right to it. I'm not sure if it's actually on private land (or if the trail travels across private land) or not.

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably about 200-300 yards from the east road, and about 500-600 yards on another trail from the north shore road - but when I said take a compass, I meant it, as their are several trails back there and you could easily get lost - one takes you all the way to Lake Mary!!!!
If you have a GPS, the cordinates I gave should get you pretty close, sometimes the readings aren't the greatest in the woods
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a little kid on the Island, just being there was enough to fill my head with possibilities. My folks never really planned any "kid-friendly" activities; our place was way back in the woods and we were never part of the social scene in the Pines. With no other kids around and no electricity at our camp, it was just me and the woods. But I was never bored, not for a moment.

I used to love going out and building "roads" through the trees, which were nothing more than little trails for me to walk or ride a bike. I would explore for miles and make little maps on graph paper. When I was a bit older, it was fun to have a chance to help my Dad cut firewood, haul timber, build something, whatever he was working on at the time. I learned a lot and it was the kind of fun you can't get anywhere else. Going to the Hotel or to Andy's (later Seville's) bar was a special treat. Aside from coming or going on the boat, it was the only time we ever saw other people on the Island. And this was all years before Hawk's was anything more than a gas station with a tackle shop. At the time, I never had a clue there were ice cream socials and fun nights and what-not... I guess I was missing out! Even so, I had plenty to keep me busy.

When I see kids on the boat today, all loaded up with Nintendo games and DVDs for the cottage, it makes me wonder... could the Island possibly be as special to them as it was before all the gadgets and distractions? I hope so. But when I was their age, 100% of my attention was focused on the experience of being there, from the boat ride to the old truck to the two-tracks to the campfire, and every detail in between. I never took it for granted and never will.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Dan!!!! All of us kids created our own fun also, and we did lots of it, mostly outside.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? There shouldn't be a "typical" week on the island. If your trips are becoming typical, you shouldn't bother.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please...if you get lost on the way to the big rock, you've got bigger problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: