Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Photo album on website...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Photo album on website... Reply with quote

Should we take a collection, or would people who use the site regularly be willing to make a small donation to pay for someone to fix the website so that we can share photos again?

Just a thought...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: PHOTOS Reply with quote

I suppose we should do as directed at the bottom of the page:

Questions or comments about this site? Send an e-mail to Rob.
Powered by phpBB 2.something 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

I Googled and found -

phpBB2

A default installation of phpBB 2.0.phpBB2 was the predecessor of the present-day phpBB3. Developed during 2001-2002, the source code was written primarily to run on PHP 3.0 and 4.0 (version 2.0.13 upped the minimum requirement to PHP 4.0.3 due to a necessary security fix), and by the time that phpBB3 was released in late 2007, the developers and other team members felt that it no longer met their quality coding standards, and announced plans for the retirement/end of support of 2.0.x within a few months of 3.0.0's release.[27] phpBB2 was never officially supported under PHP 5. Although many users had no problems running it after making a few changes to PHP 5's default configuration settings, the teams chose not to offer support for this configuration.[28]

Official support for phpBB2 ended on January 1, 2009,[29] and the 2.0.x support forums have been locked. Furthermore all development for phpBB2, including security patches, has ceased as of February 1, 2009.[27] Other information pertaining to phpBB2 on the phpBB.com website will be removed over the coming months and phpBB2 will likely be fully phased out by the second half of 2009. However, a number of unofficial support sites for phpBB2 have formed to fill the void and will likely continue supporting phpBB2 indefinitely.

Many administrators still prefer to run phpBB2 because it provides a much simpler administration interface and has a thriving ecosystem of MODs (modifications) and styles that allow admins many options for customising the software to their liking. Others still run phpBB2 because they have installed many MODs, none of which can function in phpBB3.

I like the style and feel of this site. I hope someone can be found to correct it. It does look like it is becoming dated though.
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unable to help out with the photo issue. But a while back I provided Rob with a couple resources for the photo album. There was an update to the php photo album add-in the site was using (which I believe he used to try to update the site and fix the problem):

Photo Album Add-on

There is also a newer version of the Photo Album altogether which incorporates many additions and new features:

Full Album Pack

I'm not sure how much was done with updating the photo albums and I'm not much help as I really have no experience with PHP. It does seem like it may be a pain updating the entire album (or the entire site for that matter) without blowing away all of the archived material (although there may be a migration method which will preserve all of the old stuff on the site). Though if we are losing functionality of the site as the elements become dated it may be worth it to update the entire thing and risk losing some old material.

If possible a subdomain could be created (like beta.bois-blanc.com or bois-blanc.com/beta) to test out a new site design using the new php or the new photo album code to make sure it doesn't completely fall apart, or to test out migrating the old data to the new site. As the site is using php 2 and I believe its up to 3.something now. Updating the php code could provide more features for the site users, as well as performance improvements...

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: What are your thoughts, Rob? Reply with quote

We are all waiting with baited breath.Whats the next step in getting our website problem resolved? I for one, would be willing to donate $ if we need to hire some outside help. "please respond" ..... Hazzy
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any news on the status of the repair/replacement of the Photo Album?

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: site Reply with quote

I also would be willing to help with $$$$ to fix the problem ..
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now we have at least (3) people willing to donate... Anyone else?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already mailed my check to Rob, to use as he sees fit.
rab49735
$$$$ Repeat Donor $$$$
$$$$ Repeat Donor $$$$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sent a check.
Folks, lets not be bashful.
Rob, let me now if I have to dig up another jar!
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

How much do you estimate it will cost to repair the website?

Or in a different way of asking, what would a be a good suggested donation?
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you to those who have sent donations. It is appreciated. The average donation has been $25. As far as a "cost" for repairing the album, the only cost is my time, which is at a premium these days. I'm not holding the photo album "hostage" for more donations, just need a couple of uninterupted days to perform upgrades. When those two days will be is yet to be determined. My intent is to stay with phpbb version 2, which is what we're using right now. I believe there are plenty of unofficial websites dedicated to supporting phpbb2. I hope to be able to upgrade the photo album to the FAP version that Kacy mentioned in his post. I have it up and running on our family website and it's much nicer that the album used here. I also hope to integrate a calendar. Take a peak at www.circlewranch.us un: test, pw: test

Thanks to all who make this a great site, and thanks for your patience.

Rob

http://www.bridge-view.net
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pic on your family site. Beautiful color and really clear.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: address Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Rob Smile where can we send our checks?
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mailing address is:

RKJ Endeavors
11344 Northland Dr.
Big Rapids, MI 49307

cell: 231-796-2727

Thanks

http://www.bridge-view.net
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: In the mail Reply with quote

Sending a check this week, Rob .... "Get er Done" : ) We appreciate your efforts.
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending check as well. Can't wait to see some new photos...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: