Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Broadband Informational Meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstgermaine
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Broadband Informational Meeting Reply with quote

Hi, There will be a broadband informational meeting on July 23rd at 7:00 PM in the Wagner Room. Chad Mix, of TDS will be present to discuss the possibilities and procedures of introducing broadband service to the Island.
A large percentage of respondents to the survey last year indicated that they would like to see reliable broadband service on the Island. In an effort to look into the possibilities of such a venture, the Planning Commission has scheduled this meeting to gather information and ask questions that we may have regarding this issue. Hope we have a good
turnout.

Thanks,

Cheryl St. Germaine
cristana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speed broadband do I need to stream live sporting events online? I regularly stream using my existing broadband (20MB) wireless with a 54MBPS dongle. I need to find another ISP but I have to know the minimum speed needed to stream online. I also need to find a reasonably piced ISP who would supply a wireless router but that may be another question for another time.

Last edited by cristana on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile How did the meeting GO ?

Uncle Steve
pstgermaine
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Broadband Informational Meeting Reply with quote

The meeting went very well. Thanks for asking. There are sample letters circulating around the island to be sent to our senators in support of obtaining a broadband service. In a nutshell, TDS has done all of the planning and "legwork" necessary to install this service. All they need is letters from the public in support of the need for broadband service, and stimulus money to pay for it. The more letters we send in, the better chance we have of getting stimulus money to fund this project. We need to get these letters in by August 14th!! (deadline)
Thank you for your interest!

Bois Blanc Twp. Planning Commission
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Please post some of the sample letters and Legislative addresses that need to receive letters. I am sure we could mount a very good letter campaign via this membership list.. in a short period of time. We can all e-mail the legislators with copies to TDS or whomever needs to get them.. Thanks for all your hard work.

Uncle Steve
pstgermaine
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: broadband information contact/sample letter Reply with quote

A sample letter might go like this:

Dear ,

As a registered voter, a retiree, and resident of Bois Blanc Island in the Straits of Mackinac, I truly feel that our community is in dire need of Broadband services to maintain the safety, health and well being of our population. Because of the remoteness of our Island, many of our residents are retirees from the mainland who came here to live out our remaining days in a peaceful, natural, and environment away from the pressures and challenges of urban life. This life style, however, has not been achieved without paying a price: the limited availability and / or total loss of broadband computer services.

Presently, our school children must leave the island at the end of the eighth grade to attend high school off the island. This is very costly to the families of these children and the taxpayers of the Island. With reliable broadband service, these children could attend online classes and not have to go through the trouble and expense of leaving home and securing housing off the island.

For many of us these services are our lifelines of the modem world. Communication with our families; securing goods and services online for our daily needs; keeping up with what's happening in the rest of the world; and, finally, our own personal education are only a few of the applications of which many of us were used to having during our working years. With only two commercial businesses - a general store and a tavern, medical services from a once-a-week visiing nurse practitioner, and transportation facilities limited to a single ferry and a small airport our existence on the Island is at best restricted and very costly.

Broadband computer services, once a luxury, have become a necessity in today's modem world and are financially within the scope of our abilities to afford them.

Satellite computer services require initial outlays of cash and monthly charges that few of us can afford, cell phone computer services are spotty at best, and dial up services are slow, unreliable and frequently result in exorbitant long distance charges.

In an effort to maintain a quality of life comparable to that of the majority of other Americans, and to contribute to the growth, prosperity and well being of our local community I respectfully request that Broadband computer services be made availabl, and the opportunity to engage these services be extended to the citizens of Bois Blanc Island.

Sincerely,

Contact addresses are:

The Honorable Carl Levin
U.S. Senate Bldg.
133 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Debbie Stabenow
269 Russell Office
Washington, D.C. 20510

The Honorable Bart Stupak
U.S. House of Representatives
2268 Rayburn House
Washington, D.C. 20510
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one we will be sending via e-mail Feel free to use any part of it.... Follows the above model with some minor revisions. Cheryl, do we send copy to TDS as well, if so , what is the address (electronic ) ?

Congressional Contact information..

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=mi

This is the verbiage from the "ARRA of 2009

Provisions on Broadband Infrastructure
The Conference agreement creates a new Broadband Technology Opportunities Program within the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (“NTIA”) of the Department of Commerce. The new grant program will distribute $4.7 billion to fund the deployment of broadband infrastructure in unserved and underserved areas in the country, and to help facilitate broadband use and adoption. An additional $2.5 billion in loans and grants will be administered by the Rural Utilities Service.
The Conference agreement combined portions of both the House and Senate bills. The main provisions of the NTIA program include:

Grant Recipient Criteria. Any entity is eligible to apply for a grant, including municipalities, public/private partnerships, and private companies, so long as the entity can comply with the grant conditions. Applicants must put forth 20% of the proposed project’s total cost, subject to a financial hardship waiver.
Grant recipients must agree to abide by a set of conditions, including adhering to a build out schedule, to interconnection and non-discrimination requirements as established by NTIA, and to the principles contained in the Federal Communications Commission’s Broadband Policy Statement. The Conference agreement does not require that grant recipients meet certain broadband speed thresholds, although the NTIA is expected to consider and support the highest possible broadband speeds in awarding grants.

National Broadband Plan. The Federal Communications Commission is required to develop a national broadband plan within one year.

The Honorable
Senator Levin ,

As registered Michigan voters, retirees, and residents of Bois Blanc Island Michigan, ( in the Straits of Mackinac) we feel that our community is in dire need of Broadband services to maintain the safety, health and well being of our community.

Because of the remoteness and beauty of our Island, many of our residents are retirees from the mainland who came here to live in a peaceful, natural environment away from the pressures and challenges of urban life. This life style, however, has not been achieved without paying a price: that price is the limited availability and / or total loss of broadband computer services.

Presently, the children of island residents must leave the island school at the end of the eighth grade to attend high school off the island. This is very costly to the families of these children and the taxpayers of the Island.( As you can relate to, since you maintain a second residence in the DC area ) With reliable broadband service, these children could attend online classes and not have to go through the trouble and expense of leaving home and securing housing off the island.

These broadband services are our lifeline to the modem world. Enhancing Communication with our families; securing goods and services online for our daily needs; keeping up with what’s happening in the rest of the world ( So we can be informed voters ); and, finally, continuing our own personal education are but a few of the applications we were accustomed to having “ Down State “.

With two businesses - a general store and a tavern, medical services from a once-a-week visiting nurse practitioner, transportation facilities limited to a single ferry and a small airport, our existence on the Island is at best restricted and very costly.

Without further verbal embellishment, we still believe that our Congressional representatives HONESTLY do care about the little guy/gal, and that you will do everything within your power to recommend appropriation of a portion of any Stimulus, Home Land Security, or other funds available in an effort to aid us in maintaining a quality of life comparable to the majority of other Michiganders and our fellow Americans.

Sincerely,

Stephen J Perialas
Kyu Hui Perialas

Uncle Steve
pstgermaine
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job, Uncle Steve! If you'd like to send this to TDS as well, the address is chad.mix@tdsmetro.com

Thanks

Cheryl
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Here is the followup recieved today..

September 29, 2009

Mr Stephen J. Perialas

370 Huron Drive

Bois Blanc Island, Michigan 49775

Dear Mr Perialas:

Thank you for contacting me regarding TDS Telecommunication
Corporation's application for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
funding to deploy broadband in Bois Blanc Island. I appreciated hearing
from you.

I formally supported TDS Telecommunication Corporation's request for
federal funding, through a letter which I have enclosed, under the
Broadband Initiatives Program operated by the U.S. Department of
Agriculture. As a Member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce's
Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet, and as the
Chairman of the Rural Caucus's Rural Telecommunications Taskforce, I
have made broadband deployment in Northern Michigan a priority.

I firmly believe that communities that lack broadband access in today's
world are at a disadvantage. Businesses without broadband cannot
compete in a globalized market, schools without broadband cannot
properly prepare their students for the workforce of tomorrow, and
hospitals without broadband cannot access the latest advancements in
tele-health. The lack of broadband access for the private and public
sectors have far reaching consequences for our rural communities because
it reduces opportunities for employment, reduces quality of life, and
stifles potential for economic development.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me again
in the future with issues that concern you.

July 30, 2009

The Honorable Jonathan Adelstein

Administrator, Rural Utilities Service

U.S. Department of Agriculture

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, DD 20250-0747

Dear Administrator Adelstein:

I am writing to support TDS Telecommunication Corporation and their
application for stimulus monies made available through the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).

I represent the 1st Congressional District of Michigan which is
approximately half of the geography of the State and the most rural
areas of the State. The provisions in the ARRA were specifically
designed with congressional intent to bring service to the most rural
area of our country TDS has submitted a proposal to expand broadband
internet access to underserved customers in my district that are rural
and unable to obtain this service.

TDS is a leader in delivering broadband internet service and I believe
this service to the rural areas of my district will have a positive
impact on economic development potential, ability of the residents to
access the new information highway and help with our rural education
system.

TDS is taking the lead to work with these rural areas and secure the
funds to provide or expand the broadband Internet service to these
areas. Delivering these services will provide opportunities and make a
positive impact on my constituents.

If you have any questions regarding this endorsement, please feel free
to contact me.

Sincerely,

S

BART STUPAK

Member of Congress

Sincerely,

BART STUPAK
Member of Congress

Uncle Steve
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Another followup

September 30, 2009

Stephen Perialas

20888 Emerald Ln

Big Rapids, MI 49307

Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about our nation's high-speed Internet
infrastructure. I understand your concerns that our infrastructure is
lagging behind that of other nations, and I support improving and
expanding access to high-speed Internet service.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (P.L.111-5) invests $7.2
billion in broadband Internet technology. Organizations and local
governments will be able to apply for grants to develop and expand
broadband Internet services to rural and underserved areas. At least
$200 million of these funds will go directly to community colleges and
public libraries to upgrade their technology and capacity to better
serve their communities. Please know that I will continue to support
expanding the availability of broadband Internet services. Should
related legislation come before me for a vote, I will be sure to keep
your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to do so again if I
can ever be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
The United States Senate . Washington, DC 20510

Uncle Steve
pstgermaine
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Broadband Update Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Here's an update on the progress of obtaining broadband service for the Island. I received a letter from Chad Mix of TDS and it goes as follows:

Cheryl,
We finally heard back from the government on the stimulus funding. It looks like the Island has passed round one, which is awesome. Apparently, there were only 18 proposals that moved to phase II of this process and Bois Blanc was one of the eighteen. I'm expecting to take a trip to the Island sometime this week with a representative of RUS, the entity reviewing the applications and distributing the funds. I believe this is to confirm what we stated in our application and to finalize phase II. Therefore, all indications are good at this time for the possibility of broadband on the Island. I'll keep you informed.

Thank You,

Chad Mix
Market Manager, TDS

This looks good for us at this point! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort through phone calls and letters.

The Master Plan was adopted by the Planning Commission at a public hearing last night. We'll be going into the printing phase and copies of this plan will be available real soon. Again, thanks for your input for the Master Plan as well.

Cheryl
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good read..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125858121746254383.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_tech

Uncle Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: