Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

New to site Sept 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Stowell
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: New to site Sept 2009 Reply with quote

My name is Larry Stowell and I live in Ferndale. I grew up in Rochester. My grandparents Harold and Mildred Stowell also from Rochester starting bringing me to the island in 1961 when I was only 3 years old. They brought over a 8' x 28' New Moon Travel Trailer that was Black & White,
it was put on a cinder block foundation. I do not remember the name of the road it was on. I have fond memories of all the deer coming all around the trailer at night, the kerosene lamps before the electricity and the ferry rides from Cheboygan. My grandparents sold the place on the island in the late 1960's or early 1970's due to my grandma's health. I have always wanted to make it back to the island but so far have not.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry! Welcome! Whatz holdin you up? Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is black and white trailer sitting on block foundation across from my camp on Rocky Road... Never checked to see what make it is. Little porch on the front entrance. Metal outbuilding over the well... There used to be a smaller older aluminum side travel trailer parked near it but was pretty well shot and removed a couple years ago.

Fits your description and wonder if this is the place? Still standing but have never seen any activity...
Larry Stowell
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Trailer on Rocky Rd Reply with quote

When the trailer was sold, it had a concrete patio out front without any kind of porch. There was a hand pump attached to a pipe coming out ground there was no building or structure over it. No travel trailer was on the property, other than the black & white one put on the cinder block foundation. Outhouse behind the trailer. The lot next door was vacant at the time and the property on the other side was a small cabin. I have a picture of the trailer, but was not able to upload it to the BBI website.

The place you described may be the place. I never knew the name of the road. My grandparents have both passed away in the last 5 years or so.

Thank you for the information.

[/img]
Larry Stowell
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Al's Sister,

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am not sure what is holding me back, next summer I will have to make it a point to visit BBI.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

Will be on the island later this month and check things out further. The trailer definately looks like the one across from me... But the background doesn't. In 40-50 years time the area has becpme heavily wooded into spruce and cedar. Stay tuned.
Larry Stowell
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Trailer Reply with quote

Conis,

Thank you I sincerely appreciate it.

Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: