Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Climate Change?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron what do you know about climate change, your a friging Euchre player for crying out loud.... Now Big Dick may know a thing or 2 about Climate change cause he aint no Euchre player...... #Mad

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Know BBIBABS - you might be right - Maybe we should charge for some lessons - oops, I guess we already did
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys... I am totally impressed, re educated and born again on all of this stuff. I have been reading the links. If technology is "God" and the i'net the voice of God, then the wisdom influx is irrefutable. AMEN!

Duh, can we get back to the subject, please? Was it Climate Change or lame unresolvable issues propped up with biased un quantified opinions expressed as absolute fact??

Kiss your PC and it will kiss you back. Just don't stick your tongue in the USB port or you might get an unexpected download, like this thread.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Ron I would have given that lesson for free just to have the braging rights for a hole year.......... Shocked na I take that back the $ was like icing on the cake...... Laughing

Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked New daffy nition of climate change is," what happens when She doesn't get what She wanted for Christmas" . Twisted Evil

Uncle Steve
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya you get to go form nice worm house to realy cold dog house in a matter of seconds.....

3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all need to take a deep breath and wait for Pat Robinson to talk to god about cleaning up the earth alittle. Then decide what to do after all the birds are dead and the trees are gone. Can I get a big Amen from all the bible thumpers.... #evil
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going for facts, wisdom and the ultimate truth... so I have consulted my guru: The Tooth Fairy.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Conis, if you are not getting information from newspapers, magazines, websites, books, etc., where do you get it?

I appreciate that we should take what we read with a grain of salt. But if we find sources we conclude are credible, and we apply a bit of reason to the information provided, why is that not an appropriate way of trying to reach a decision about climate change or any other topic?

Specifically, some of the information on accuweather.com is pretty serious science. And on balance the articles appear to support global warming. It has seemed to be a pretty good source for information.

Just so, the Wall Street Journal has lots of interesting, thoughtful and well-written stuff and is, I think, a good source of thoughtful stuff to consider. Just today, in fact, they had an essay by an evolutionary biologist from a first rate university (who, by the way, referenced an experience with a moose on Isle Royale) who provides his reasons for being skeptical of the certainty of many who believe that man made global warming is greatly impacting the climate.

Anyway, we must choose our authorities, take what they say with a grain of thought, and draw our conclusions.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug... I get my "info" from all the same sources as everyone else. Throw it all in a blender and I don't get it. Nor do many of the scientists who are eyeball deep in this stuff, and think they get it. Too many variables and this is complex beyond current knowledge, despite what they think or conclude. Read all ya want all day long and decide what you want to believe in.

My take on this: There may be technology on the horizon that could soon make this entire discussion as obsolete as it can get. OR we may be entering into a new era where we cannot rely on technology to steer the course of civilization.

All of this climate stuff has been deducted on very limited and potentially skewed data. In all honesty... I have no opinion. Mostly because I am a skeptic at heart. I need to see empirical proof... not conjecture based on subjective opinion, based on questionable data. For now, the tooth fairy is as reliable as any source so far disclosed.

How arrogant we are to think we have a scientific handle on this "situation"... and a solution to fix it? The more I read, the less I assume as fact. After I study up some more, and have a solid handle on the workings of the universe, the manner in which our solar system works inclusive of the sun's influence on the earth,,, and data from the last 50 million years or so... I publish a full report. And it will still be an educated guess, likely wrong. Why don't we change this subject to the influence of black holes on the Earth's gravitational fields? Climate deviation would fall into this arena. Now we are getting somewhere? Where?

The earth owns us, we don't own or control it. Much less even understand dynamics. If the earth didn't suck, we would all fall off. It's not flat. Thats as much as I care to profess.

Or... if you want to just cut to the chase, The problem isn't industrial CO2 emissions, it is exponentially increasing world population and expansion of industrial technology; emissions are a by product.. Resources raped to the last chapter. If you believe in Darwins theories, world population will self limit with climate change... natural order of things. Survival of the fittest.

Yahoo forums is a place to get information on Climate change (hotter or colder) magnetic flux motors, cars that run on water... just about any subjuect you want. Some of the posts are intellegent, some are cut and paste jobs and some are subjective opinion made by those that are clueless but need to express themselves. Read through all that stuff and you won't know much more than if you didn't.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Black Holes.... Carl Sagan was my next door neighbor back in Ithaca NY.. when I was younger.. A good read. http://books.google.com/books?id=q_Fp3tjPnkwC&dq=Carl+Sagan&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=WjEuS_SuBY3CMJz1jIEJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CC8Q6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what Carl Sagans take on Global warming is? Any "opinion" he might have would merit some consideration. Have to google this one...
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what you said a few posts back, Conis. The dilemma is that because our political leaders are acting as if global warming is an imminent crisis that requires action on their part (actions that will cost the US dearly), I think we have to form a conclusion one way or another.

By the way, I may have told you this before, but your writing style reminds me of the writer James Lee Burke. If you like gritty American cop or western sheriff stories, he is worth reading.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug miller wrote:
I agree with much of what you said a few posts back, Conis. The dilemma is that because our political leaders are acting as if global warming is an imminent crisis that requires action on their part (actions that will cost the US dearly), I think we have to form a conclusion one way or another.

By the way, I may have told you this before, but your writing style reminds me of the writer James Lee Burke. If you like gritty American cop or western sheriff stories, he is worth reading.

Only two comments:

If there is a problem... of unparalled proportion, marginally understood at best, by the best..... I am going to trust the US Government to "fix it" when the best of their best can't tie their shoe's? And the rest of the planet is business as usual? Theres a moron calling a stupid person a dumb. a**. No one gets it. maybe Carl Sagan has a glimmer however I am not up to his level of outside the box, thinking.

Never read James Lee Burke. I tend to think and write quickly, and in abbreviated, loosly connected terms. Get it, or not. Spelling close enough.
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The industrial revolution probably seemed like a good idea at the time, now not as much. Maybe all of our advancements actually set us back, maybe we don't need to know everything. I don't think the amish would have invented the atomic bomb.

Let's get rid of all of our modern amenities and go "little house on the prairie" on the count of 3.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the Amish really care if the A bomb has been invented or not. Irrelvelent to their way of life and consciousness.
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: