Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ex deputy sheriff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Ex deputy sheriff Reply with quote

How are you all doing? I'm Rick Burgess and was the deputy sheriff on the island back in 84. I haven't had the opportunity to visit since I left.
I remember the good times I had with Joey and Clover, ice fishing, gathering sap for maple syrup and beaver trapping.
Sponge used to own the bar and I have fond memories of his generosity.
I've since moved to Florida but think of the island alot.
I'd like to hear from those of you who are still there.

Take care

Rick
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Rick this is Tony Babcock, Victor and Roberta's youngest. I don't live there any more but Mom and Dad still do. My wife (Chris Rumery, Joice Boulan's daughter) and 2 boys and I live in Port Huron now and have a small cabin up there. Our cabin in behind Hovers. I don't remember you well but I do remeber you. How is Florida treating you? We come down for spring break almost every year. This year we are coming down but going on a cruse, so won't be spending time on the beaches as ususl.

Good to here form you and happy Thanks Giving.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Rick
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony,

Congratulations on your marriage to Chris. I remember your dad and Roberta and appreciated all their help. They made me feel welcome from the day I moved there.I kind of thought he'd still be working. I'm glad he's still on the island. Please tell both of them I said hi.
I hope that someday I'll be able to take a vacation up there. You know how life keeps you busy and then all of a sudden you look back on the "good old" days. Bois Blanc is a beautiful place. I remember flying over the island during the fall colors when I came for my interview for the position of sheriff. Your a lucky man to still be part of it.
Give everyone my best!

Take care
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Clover here. It was good to hear from you, and yes we used to have good times together. That seems so long ago. I knew that you and Jan split up after you left here. Sorry to hear that, but now you both are on to your new lives.
How are your boys, Chris and Brett doing? I suppose all grown up, just like Brandon. Brandon just finished building his own home here and has a new baby, a finance', and soon to be stepdaughter. We're glad to have them all here.
We no longer make maple syrup on a commerical scale. We sold the house and business to my brother Mike and his wife. We make it each year still, but just enough for ourselves and anyone that wants to help us with it. We built a new home across the road from Joe's dad's little cabin, if you remember where that was. In other words, we are next door to Alice Smiths house.
My dad passed away in 1996 and since, my mom sold her house out at the lake. She now goes to Florida each winter and stays in Zephyrhills.
We still do building. Also excavating, and have a contract with Mackinac County Road Commission to maintain all the county roads here on the island since Victor Babcock retired.
I don't think the island has changed all the much since you were last here, but there are different faces, and a few new homes. Probably the biggest change since '84 would be the expansion and paving of our airport, our fire department, and the general store.
Take care and welcome to our site.
Clover
Rick
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky to still be on the island. I always think of how things might have been different had Jan and I stayed together and raised our kids there. I'm sure that they'd have a much different perspective on life. The outside world has a tendancy to pollute your mind.
I literally live right down the road from your mom. I'm in Land o Lakes right on the border of Wesley Chapel on 54. We live in "The Oaks." If you ever come down to visit we'd love to have you over.
I married a woman, Therese, who I met down here in 89. We've been married now for 17yrs. My youngest son, Brett is living with us and has gone back to school to become a medical assistant. The oldest, Kris, lived down here for the first part of the year. He got laid off from an HVAC position with NASA. He has 2 kids in Ohio and has yet to find a job.
My mother is 87 and has been with us for the past 5yrs. She has alzheimers and is pretty much a full time job. My dad passed away from a heart condition in 96 and he also had alzheimers.
I've worked as a massage therapist at Tampa Palms Country Club for the past 13yrs. but with the state of the economy massages have fallen off.
My property abuts @5000 sq. acres of protected SWIFTMUD property. I haven't hunted since I left Bois Blanc but the woods behind my house is full of deer and they love to eat anything they can physically get to.
We've got all kinds of wildlife and it's very peaceful.
So that's a quick recap of my life.
I'm sure you're happy to have Brandon back on the island. Tell him and Joey I said hi.
Take care

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: