Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions 2009-10 Winter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Canceled tree line Reply with quote

Ice is still unsafe.
After a night when it got down to 8 degrees, an attempt was made to put in the tree line. The minimum thickness was 6 inches today, Sat. the 6th.

Because there is no snow on the sections of ice that are smooth, it absorbs the sunshine. We found an area about a quarter mile out from VanVoorhees that was shiny black loose ice, even though 6 inches thick. We had just put in our first tree on solid 9 inch ice when this was discovered. The tree line project is canceled until further notice.

Two people had just come across this loose area from Cheboygan minutes before. They will be contacted.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Treeline Reply with quote

A treeline is in, from near the beach house at Nipigon to Sand Bay. The ice near Nipigon is only 8 inches and there is an active pressure crack right at the start of the line. On the Sand Bay side, there is an active pressure crack just before you enter the bay. The ice is really rough near Nipigon.

The ice has gone out in front of Pointe Aux Pins. This line may stay or it may go. Watch out.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

Oh good !! Smile for all of you that live on the island and the people that love to go to the island on the ice bridge ...
TeamBBIJamie
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: snow Reply with quote

How much snow is on the Island. Are the roads rideable. Thanks for all of the updates on the ice conditions.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: snow Reply with quote

We were lucky if we got 3 inches in that last snowfall. Maybe 5 inches total on the ground. The roads are rideable. Schlund has refrained from taking them down to dirt. The exception though is between the Pines and the ferry dock, where the sun takes the snow cover away.

As far as I know there is still a treeline.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: 9 and 10 news Reply with quote

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=206630&cID=1
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Trip Reply with quote

Looks like Wille and I will be Traveling across to the Island on Sat. Hows it holding up? Thank's ...... MIKE (Hazzy)
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Predicting future Reply with quote

Today is Thursday and it is there. I can't predict the future for how it will be on Saturday. I found out yesterday, that there is one spot at least, that is only 6 inches thick. It is at the start near Nipigon, just past the sign saying the ice is never safe right on a turn to the right toward the island. There are currents in that area off of Pt. Nipigon.

There is some snow now on the ice which has smoothed it out a little.
michaelc007
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank's MIKE Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: conditions from a distance Reply with quote

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.10050.1628.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the ice is a little better locked in now by the sidelight pic

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

enjoyed the site ..thanks
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossed yesterday at noon and came back around 4:30 PM . Little spooky but solid. Also went over the big Mac, and the ice was all the way under the bride w/a few cracks and open areas. I think its okay. Always
dangerous...Warm weather coming this week. Could be last weekend with a bridge. When in doubt..go like hell.. Thats all I got.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: The End is Near Reply with quote

With the warm week ahead and the open water creeping closer to the treeline, I agree, its going to go out this week.
I made a firm prediction, therefore, I may be proven wrong.

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: crossing Reply with quote

Yesterday the school kids put on a show. Ray Plaunt crossed the ice bridge to watch it. He got to watch his granddaughter and great-grandchildren do their thing. Nice!

Some people wonder why the treeline is placed so far to the west, like it is this year, from Sand Bay aimed toward Nipigon. The satellite picture is a good example of how the ice fades away, when there is little wind. It gradually melts and breaks away from east to west as shown in the picture.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.10061.1610.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Don't Even Think About It Reply with quote

A few days back I said it was too risky to cross the ice bridge. The wind has been blowing from the east for two days now. Even though I can't see that the wind has taken out the treeline, I'm going to say that now, it is impossible to take the treeline across.

Don't Even Think About It!
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your cue BABBS. Saddle up and let's see if it's really unsafe. With your nose for air bubbles... I mean air pockets, the trip should be over quick as a bunny :wave:
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read in the Cheboygan Free Press that the Mighty Mac went West out of the River on Monday or Tuesday??? Not that a news report would be wrong, but...If Babbles still has that 3 legged Ski-Doo of his wives....I say giver a ripp
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We blue that sucker up a couple of years ago.....Now I have a 600 fraidy cat..... Not sure how good on the water it is yet, I think I could get over a couple of little air pockets....... Laughing

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: