Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Let's Get Re-Acquainted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sparty all i have to say is how about them cowboys........oops oops I mean lions....

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Nate
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Nate. I used to be on the Island for a month each year for 3 years running, probably 1963-1965. Each year we stayed in cottages west of the center of Pointe Aux Pins; the first two years in the Pomerine cottage and the last year in the Lowery cottage (a larger log home a little farther down the road to the west).

I can remember a lot of things about the Island, but not too many names. I remember being around people most of the time, but not many names pop into my head. I came across this photo elsewhere on this site:

I recognize Char & Curt Plaunt (front row, the two on the far right), although I didn't meet them until probably 5 years after that photo was taken. I don't think I knew Leanna though.

Char was close to my age. I recall being impressed with her. She was attractive, bright, had good social skills, and was pleasant to be around. We didnít hang out though, probably because I was kind of a jerk back then.

Curt was younger than me so he was really more my younger brother Bob's friend, but we would still hang out together sometimes. Believe it or not, we used to water ski behind a boat with just a 10 hp outboard motor (yes, we always had to use 2 skis and we rode pretty low in the water).

I recall the old hotel, but it was in pretty poor repair at the time. It wasn't open, but there was a crew of workmen staying there one summer who were doing a physical project of some sort in the Island interior. I'm guessing that the hotel is gone now. I read in another thread that the crib pier is gone now also. Too bad...

I also had an older sister, Becky, and two sisters who were pretty young at the time.

My father was a doctor, so he couldn't stay the entire month. He was only there the first & last week of the "Island month". I think the Islanders liked having him there, since when someone needed help they would send Ray to have Dad grab his bag & take a look. I suspect that they sent Ray on the theory that no one can say "no" to the ferry operator, but Dad didn't mind that sort of thing at all. My father loved being the terrific doctor that he was and was always happy to help.

We drove a red & white VW micro-bus on the Island that Ray would barge over for us each summer.

Anyway, if you remember us please let me know who you are.

Last edited by Nate on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Hotel Reply with quote

It probably would help and not hurt to put your last name on here.

I don't have a recollection of you because our family only stayed maybe a week or two each summer. We may have never crossed paths.

I can say that the crew you mention at the hotel were those young guys that were making the right-of-ways for the power lines. Mr. Blamer in charge with a couple of his sons on the crew. One of those sons, Jim Blamer, has property here. They would work hard all day and play hard all night.
Nate
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hotel Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
It probably would help and not hurt to put your last name on here.

I don't have a recollection of you because our family only stayed maybe a week or two each summer. We may have never crossed paths.

I can say that the crew you mention at the hotel were those young guys that were making the right-of-ways for the power lines. Mr. Blamer in charge with a couple of his sons on the crew. One of those sons, Jim Blamer, has property here. They would work hard all day and play hard all night.

Last name is Carpenter. We were there for a full month each summer.

About the only other thing I recalled was that my parents brought a college-aged girl to take care of us while we were there, named Nancy. She and Ev Fischer dated while on the Island.
Brianna
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Catching Up Reply with quote

Hi All,

Brianna Gask-Wilson here. Since I can't visit the island often, at least I can keep up with the goings-on through the website. My family owns a cottage on the east end. We've been visiting the island for 30 years and I truly miss being there. Hello to all that recognize me and please send a response or email so that I know whose name belongs with their username... It would be great to be able to chat!

My thoughts are with you as the season changes and autumn reveals her most splendid colors!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: