Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island History (genealogy research)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrandpainmi
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Island History (genealogy research) Reply with quote

Hello all,

First time to the site!

I am researching my family history. I have a thin lead that MIGHT lead me to new answers, so here I am.

Back in 1834, two of my ancestors signed " The 1834 Request For Payment for Bois Blanc" that was sent to Pres. Andrew Johnson.

My first GGG Uncle, Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, is a well documented individual, and is a signer. My GGGG Uncle, Wayishkee, also signed, and is hard to track.

If anyone has info regarding this individual, would you please let me know?

Thanks

Bruce Very Happy
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Petition for compensation for Bois Blanc Reply with quote

I would like to thank you for drawing our attention to this petition for compensation in return for giving up Bois Blanc. It appears that there were many who depended on the blacksmith shop at Mackinac.

I hope someone can help track down the people mentioned.

For those interested in this petition, go to: You may need to scroll down.

http://www.mfhn.com/native/%28S%28iz1sxj3y45i0af55r0xijgb2%29%29/AllPages.aspx?Cat=Miscellaneous&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I see that Wayishkee is listed as a chief in the Soo area and the Cross Village area.

Do you know if the signers got what they were asking For?
flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://searches2.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NISHNAWBE/2005-06/1120067987

Here's a genological reference that starts with Waubojeeg - who is noted in some of Schoolcraft's papers as Wayishkee's father and trails down to the Jane Johnson (JohnsTon) connection to Henry Schoolcraft. She was his first wife...typically, like a lot of genology records of this era, you see several spellings of names Johnson/Johnston.

Google Wayishkee and Schoolcraft together - there is a ton of references including quite a few from people's Rootsweb, or Family Tree works.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.ancestry.com which is essentially a hub resource. It is a subscription service but very reasonable... You will find resources and parallel research done by others, you likely won't turn up elsewhere.

Using ancestry.com, I was able to construct my fathers family tree back to Normandy, France; His side being French Canadian with a good amount of "native" blood mixed in. A good bit of the information came from family records and church records that you won't easily turn up in public archives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: