Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Kayakalakeaday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Here it is: starting Thursday, May 6 and running through Sunday May 9, 2010, the official "Kayakalakeaday" will re-convene for the 4th time. This is a beautiful time of year on the island. The buds are just barely emerging, the water is high, and the lakes are clear.

Bruce Lord and some of his compatriots are chewing at the "paddle" to get on the water. It is not a race. It is a "get to one end, enjoy these lake jewels, and get back to the lauch site" alive.

Put it on your calendar. Each year we paddle the inland lakes, gather at different cabins, the bar, eat drink and be merry.

All crafts are welcome Canoes, rowing vessels, etc.

More details will be posted.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Sounds cool We're ready
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Oops looks like I got four men coming and only 3 kayaks. Any help?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Bruce... There is a canoe at Eagle Ridge,, Help yourself.. Bring your own Life jackets..

Uncle Steve
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: K-4 Reply with quote

K-4 is rapidly approaching. I have a canoe, Bruce. Also, I have access to two other canoes. So we can get a few extras on the water.

With the light snow on BBI, it will be interesting to see what the lakes are like this year. Last year, I had to drive through snow on my way to Deer lake one week before the event.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Sounds good can't wait
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Rain Reply with quote

If it doesn't rain much between now and kayakalakeaday, you will find Deer Lake to be nothing but a mud hole.

Right now you can drive everywhere on the North Shore.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: low water Reply with quote

That is amazing, Mike. But with the little snow on the island, that is understandable.

If we can't do Deer, we'll just have to do Lake Huron to fill in.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...I'm not sure you will get around the entire shore of Lake Huron in DAY Shocked NOT unless you are running on BELL'S BEER...Oberon should do the trick!!! Very Happy
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: L. Huron Reply with quote

I thought maybe we would do just a little Lake Huron jaunt... out to spectacle reef and back....a mere 11 miles one way.

Deer Lake is a mere puddle anytime. So maybe it can be done with a little help from mother nature. No big deal.

Seriously, though, weather and wind permitting, a little cruise next to snake island or in the Coast Guard Bay is possible and very beautiful.

We usually make such weighty decisions with a beer in one hand and a paddle in the other. Lets start with Lake Mary this year. And decide about our next expeditions during the after paddle "meeting of the minds" party.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Elmer, I'm really hopin' to make it this year. So far, it's lookin' good. You did mention beer right? Very Happy
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper,

I saw it at the end of his very first post

eat drink and ,......be merry,.....

you just have to remove a couple of letters!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

I would like to suggest Round Island. A paddle around it is not too long. Exploring it is fun too.
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

I would say thats an excellent suggestion. I hope the weather is nice enough. I stopped and checked out the lighthouse a few years ago very cool didn't do any hiking though. Isn't there a few geocaches out there. -Bruce-
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to go myself John,
The Piper and I are looking forward to that beach cooked dinner this summer. Maybe we can do a practice dinner after the kayak cruise..
Just to make sure everything is alright for real meal this summer..
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Kayaktalkalot Reply with quote

Round Island circumvents are very good. Ive done it twice. This past summer, my friend Randy Scott and I sprinted off the lake to the lighthouse to beat a nasty, big, fast moving thunder storm. We literallly used the north, lee wall of the lighthouse to avoid the wind and rain. As the storm passed and the wind changed, we protected ourselves on the east and south walls as well...AND the temperature dropped probably 10 to 15 degrees. Fortunately, I had a waterproof, wind proof suit in my kayak. I was very cold! That suit was a must at that point.

Watching that black cloud, lightning, and the white caps was inspiring. I have many photos of that storm and trip.

Anyway, a May trip to Round Island is a breeze...unless you fall into that May, very cold water. Then, all bets are off....
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Hey kayakalakeadayers our boat doesnt leave until 12:30. We can be ready to do Mary by 2:00 at earliest. Hopefully you can wait but if not we will be quite a sight all by ourselves. Three weeks from know well be talkin about the first glide. -Bruce-
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: K-4 Reply with quote

The Latest:

To accomodate those that are arriving on the 4pm boat on Thursday, May 6, we are tentatively planning an early evening, "sunset" cruise on Lake Mary. (or is it Mary's Lake?) I'm thinking we can rendevous as late as 7pm and enjoy the entire lake before complete darkness...weather permitting.

We will defnitely meet after the paddle at my place, or Bruce Lords place, which is on Lake Mary...I think Bruce will have steak, lobster, and fine wines for everyone...maybe...OR we can party at my cabin or go to the Bar. WHATEVER the spur of the moment dictates.

Be forewarned: People from Indiana and Ohio will be present. "Those people" need to be watched carefully. We already know that the "island residents are a tad eccentric. And of course, I'm normal. Confused

So come on out and mix it up with the K-4 "crowd".
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Sounds great Maybe some crayfish and MD 20-20. I will have plenty of refreshments. We will be there by 2pm and ready for whatever, everyone is welcome. Evening cruise will be great. We will be watching for everyone at 7.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Laughing Weather forecast looks typical. I must say no matter the weather I always have a blast. Can't wait to paddle.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather today on the island looks, well, shall we say brisk?

Hopefully Thursday and Friday were good days for you guys because today looks nasty (and if it is anything like here in the center of the state, the winds are howling).

We are all looking forward to your report!
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: kayakalakeaday Reply with quote

Well I am happy to report all went well. The weather was brisk cool but very enjoyable time was had by all. We had all weather possibilities sun,rain,snow and wind. A bunch of eagles flying around a beaver or two and met some new folks from Ohio. Very cool time
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: K-4 Reply with quote

The "weather was permitting". Thanks to the energentic "Indiana" contingent, we paddled all four lakes for the first time! I will post some pictures soon. We had a crowd of EIGHT paddlers!

We paddled in the snow on Saturday. NO PROBLEM! We finished Lake Thompson in the sun. The Ohio clan paddled Thompson on Sunday in full sun as we watched a large Tern hit the water over and over catching small fish.

BBI's inland lake shorelines should be designated natural wonders. That's how beatutiful and rare they are.

We'll do it again next year. The company was great and the eye candy is good every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: