Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Visiting Island to view My Grandparent's Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartgrandson
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Visiting Island to view My Grandparent's Home Reply with quote

Hi,
I wrote on this forum back in 2008 to find out the exact place my Grandparents lived. Their names were Alvin "Stuart" Walker and Nora Walker. One of the islanders, said they lived at the very end of Onegada (spelling?) street. We are planning to visit the island on 7/10/10 and will explore it and hopefully see the house my Grandpa built. I was wondering if anyone knew the people that lived in this house, if they would be agreeable to let us video tape the outside and (I know it's asking alot) peek inside. I haven't been there since about 1969 or 1970 at the latest. Any info would be appreciated. Here's the link to my previous post. Thanks.

Harvey Poling Jr

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1596&highlight=
stuartgrandson
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandpa built the house with lumber from his old home church in Bellaire, so it has some extra significance to me. I remember sitting on top of the roof as he was tearing into the rafters.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

I'm not sure but it may have been at the end of Onadaga. The name sounds familiar. My Dad and Mom are Victor and Roberta Babcock, I am Tony Babcock. They may know or Curt that runs the boat to the island may also know. If you call them at 231-627-2354 to get a reservation you could ask them and they could find out. His Dad Ray Plaunt ran the boat before Curt.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
stuartgrandson
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Our Visit to the Island was Great! Reply with quote

Well we just got back from our trip to see the Island and did we ever have fun. The people were all friendly, we ate at the local restaurant and took our scooters most of the way around the island. Best of all, I got to see again the cabin my Grandfather built. Thanks to Tony Babcock, it was right where he said. I saw the school my Aunt Terry attended. To say the least it was a little emotional.
The most amazing thing about it was a chance meeting with Ray Plaunt. He was Captain when the Walkers lived there. He just happened to be riding over when we were. He remembered my Grandpa, that he rented out mini-bikes and was very interesting to talk to. I rather think it was God's timing to meet him right after his 90th birthday. He is quite a guy.
Also, Tony, do your parents live in the white house on Onedaga Street? I seem to remember it. I think that was the house I stayed over night. Do you have a Brother named Mark? If so, that was the boy that was about my age.
I wanted to give a final verbal wave to all the nice folks we talked to on the Island. It was a day to remember.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is my mom and dad's place, it used to be a vertical log cabin and he didn't want to paint it any more so he sided it........most people go the other way....LOL Also Mark is my older brother by almost 6 years. I'm glad you got to see my Uncle Ray, he would have been the best guy to get the information you where looking for....God answers prayers....

stuartgrandson
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you talk to Mark, ask him if he remembers the Walkers. He went to school during that time with Terri. Also see if he remembers a kid staying overnight with him (me)? As I was thinking about it, I seem to remember a little kid hanging around, must have been you. lol
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check with him. I'm sure he does, he has a great memory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: