Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

"THIS AIN'T THE MAINLAND" CD release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: "THIS AIN'T THE MAINLAND" CD release
Event: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Every year, I try to put on a few "Island Jam" performances at the Tavern, where we do old folk/rock cover songs and just have a good time. But for the past several months, I've been working hard to write, arrange and record a brand-new set of original songs, all about BBI. And I am almost finished with the project at last!

I've compiled the songs into an album titled "This Ain't the Mainland", and the official CD release event is scheduled for Saturday, September 4th at 8pm at the Tavern. I will be joined by my good friend David Mosher, an award-winning multi-instrumentalist and music producer who has been featured throughout the U.S. and Canada in various bluegrass, folk and country ensembles. Even if you don't know who I am, I hope you'll at least stop into the Tavern on Sep. 4th to hear David's amazing violin, mandolin guitar and vocals. Our special guest that night will be Jeff Duncan, whose bagpipes are featured in one of my songs. The CD will (hopefully!) also be available for sale, along with brand-new BBI T-shirts and stickers to help kick off the release.

The songs touch on different Island subjects - some historical, some personal, and some are just for fun. But all of them reflect my love for Bois Blanc, and I really hope you'll like them too.

If I can figure out who to talk to about making arrangements, I'd also like to schedule an afternoon performance on Sunday, 9/5 at some other venue (the Community Building, the Chapel or ??) for those who don't frequent the Tavern. I'm open to your suggestions/ideas. We'll see what happens.

"This Ain't the Mainland" T-shirts and bumper stickers are available now - just send me a PM if interested. CDs will be available closer to the release date.

Hope to see you on September 4th! Thanks!

Dan
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us have had a "sneak peek" (listen) to Dan's new CD and are already fans of this great collection of island stories. This is a "must-have" for any island lover. You will be singing along with these rich, island tunes in no time. I won't give away too much about the content, but there are songs about many well known island tales, personalities, and locales. I am honored to be a guest performer on this great, island-masterpiece. Way to go Dan! Love the new CD! Very Happy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cogratulations Dan! I will be there! Happy Happy Happy
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff and Susie... Really looking forward to seeing both of you.

To me, Jeff's pipes are one of the high points - if not THE high point - of the entire disc. You don't hear many songs that combine traditional stringed instruments with bagpipes, because it's a challenge to get the tuning/arrangement just right (plus it's rare to find a truly talented piper like Jeff!) but I think we pulled it off here, in a 'BBI anthem' of sorts.

I also gotta give a shout out to Pete Shannon for taking all the album photos we used. It meant a lot to me to have fellow Island people, like Pete and Jeff, contributing their talents to this project. Can't thank you enough.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, how about posting a link to an AUDIO Teaser a few bars of the pipe and string music... Wink

Uncle Steve
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: A hit! Reply with quote

The gathering at the tavern for the release of Dan's CD was a packed house hit. The music was great. The Piper added a big boost to the event also. A historic island event.

I can't resist saying that the song "Misguided Fools" was a shock to a few in the crowd, but was received by most with a big grin. If you want to know why, buy the CD.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, for your very kind words. For the past 10 months of working on this project, I've been nervous about sharing the songs with everyone here on BBI. It's scary to open up my heart about my favorite topic in the world, and then offer it up to an audience of my friends and neighbors who may either like it OR hate it. I finally had to resign myself to the fact that the songs are just based on one person's (my) perceptions and feelings, and that they are all the product of my deep and abiding love for Bois Blanc. Nothing more.

In other words - even if some don't agree with my point of view about the events that inspired "Misguided Fools", for example, I hope they can enjoy the music anyway. I'd hate to think anyone was shocked in a negative way by that tune; to me, it was just a way to capture a very dark and difficult time in Island history, to put it in perspective and move on. I am forever on the side of BBI - no politics, no religion, just the wellbeing of this amazing place. And that's why I am donating a portion of that night's CD and T-shirt proceeds to the BBI Community Foundation. Smile

Thank you again for making the CD release event such a special and memorable occasion!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My causin Kenny and I had a great time. The music was great and so was the company.......Thanks for sharing. Hope you do it again next year.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I'm sure I've overlooked it,
please put up a link to where I can order the cd from!

thanks!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just send me a PM with your address and I'll get one to you - $15 plus USPS shipping. Or, you can pick one up on the Island. Smile Thank you!

Dan
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: It was enjoyed by all of our family ! Reply with quote

I had no idea I was going to be on the island when I first heard about this new CD so how delighted I was when I was there !

It was enjoyed by all of our family for sure ..we had a fun filled night .. good music good company .....

The bag pipes were an extra bonus !!

Thanks Dan for your hard work ! ... you .for sure are a great lover of the island it shows in the CD !!

Looking forward to more ! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: